2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

16 hours ago, doc4aday said:

could be another Cam?

There will never be another Cam. NEVER!!!!!!. he could be an incredible Joey Gatewood though and an incredible student athlete 

• Like 1

Nice quick read about JG:  link

According to Joey Gatewood, Auburn’s prized 5-star 2018 quarterback commit, he is not overly concerned by the Tigers’ pursuit of former Baylor quarterback Jarrett Stidham.

“It really doesn’t impact me,” Gatewood said. “I mean, I’m just 2018. When I get there, if I work hard, I’m not worried about how many quarterbacks they have. I know if I do my best I can be above them.”

Stidham, a 5-star recruit in the 2015 class and the No. 1-ranked dual-threat quarterback in the country, started three games for Baylor last season. He passed for 1,265 yards, 12 touchdowns and two interceptions.

He announced this summer he was leaving the program in the wake of coach Art Briles’ dismissal, with plans of enrolling at a junior college in the fall for academics only. Stidham visited Auburn on Wednesday.

The Tigers are a top contender for Stidham, along with programs such as Texas A&M.

As for Gatewood, who plays at Jacksonville (Fla.) Bartram Trail and committed to Auburn last December?

“I’m still 100 percent,” he said. “From the minute I step on campus and enroll I expect to start. I will work extra hard to get that starting job. I’m confident, not cocky.”

According to Gatewood, he speaks to Auburn offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Rhett Lashlee at least once a week. He hopes to attend Auburn’s season-opener vs. Clemson.

“I’m trying to get up to that one,” Gatewood said.

Gatewood, who said he measures in at 6-feet-4, 231 pounds, is the No. 27 recruit nationally for 2018 in the 247Sports Composite.

He had surgery this summer on his non-throwing wrist and should be fine.

“It happened awhile ago,” Gatewood said. “I had it over a year and didn’t really notice. I hurt it playing football. I had surgery and they put some screws in it. I’m 100 percent. I haven’t been 100 percent since the ninth-grade.”

57 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I’m 100 percent. I haven’t been 100 percent since the ninth-grade.”

When I read this I went damn!

1 hour ago, lkeel75 said:

If he hasn't been 100% and he is not the starter next year, we need to be looking at whom ever is starting over him.  Kid is a baller!

It's by committee and I believe he technically starts. Just not the one that passes the ball. Their QBs rotate drives. Embarrassment of riches.

How can you not love this dude. Everything about him, measurables, intangibles, attitude, screams qb

On 8/6/2016 at 10:47 AM, cole256 said:

How can you not love this dude. Everything about him, measurables, intangibles, attitude, screams qb

Certainly the only kid I've seen where when people throw out the whole Cam comparison, I don't just shake my head and roll my eyes. With his attitude and measurables, he's going to be a household name no matter how he stacks up to anyone else.

8 hours ago, KerryThachWDE said:

Gatewood is no longer a 5* on the composite rankings.  Rivals dropped him to the 99th best player in the country.

Wow.  Just from the stuff people have been throwing around, that seems pretty surprising.  I hope the next 98 players are pretty darned good.

10 hours ago, KerryThachWDE said:

Gatewood is no longer a 5* on the composite rankings.  Rivals dropped him to the 99th best player in the country.

What did rivals rank him previously?

1 hour ago, TigerWar said:

I think he was top 20 but I could be mistaken for another website. Either way, I think he's better than 99 overall. 

7 hours ago, TigerWar said:

6 hours ago, KerryThachWDE said:

I think he was top 20 but I could be mistaken for another website. Either way, I think he's better than 99 overall. 

They didn't have a true ranking for the 2018 class before now. He was in their initial top 100 but that was in alphabetical list til a few days ago when they put the 6.1 through 5.9 ratings for the recruits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Forget the stars look at the schools that are offering him, don't see that many good coaches being wrong personally

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

Offer list would be a good indicator but so many are not committable and may never be so. And some may be withdrawn without public knowledge.  We have to trust our coaches to do what is best for Auburn.  But I guess there will always be second guessing in the Recruiting game.  Not an exact science as they say.

• 2 weeks later...

From Keith

Wouldn't be shocked if Joey transfers for his senior season. There was some chatter he might land at Trinity Christian during the offseason, but then Jimmy Brumbaugh's kid transferred in.

Lot will depend on how he is used later in the season/playoffs.

He doesn't mind playing other positions at all -- but I get the feeling he'd rather be getting QB reps.

Just my two cents. And just my opinions ....

16 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

That's the rumor down here we shall see

Thanks for the link. It would be nice to get him as qb rather than as an athlete..I hope he gets more time.tough situation when you got two other guys who can throw well.

Am I the only one that thinks he must not be better than the other two or he'd be getting the snaps? Heresy, I know but....legitimate 5* and upper 4* QB's get their snaps. The odds against there being three such prospects on one team are astronomical. Maybe Joey has a good bit of work to do before he's ready to be considered a top-notch prospect?