Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charhair

VCU Guard Samir Doughty transferring to Auburn

10 posts in this topic

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/vcu-transfer-samir-doughty-committed-auburn/amp/

By Jon Rothstein
WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 08: Virginia Commonwealth Rams guard Samir Doughty (2) takes a shot during a college basketball game between the Virginia Commonwealth Rams and the George Washington Colonials on February 08, 2017, at Charles E. Smith Center in Washington D.C. (Photo by Daniel Kucin Jr./Icon Sportswire)

WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 08: Virginia Commonwealth Rams guard Samir Doughty (2) takes a shot during a college basketball game between the Virginia Commonwealth Rams and the George Washington Colonials on February 08, 2017, at Charles E. Smith Center in Washington D.C. (Photo by Daniel Kucin Jr./Icon Sportswire)

Former VCU Rams talent Samir Doughty has committed to play for the Auburn Tigers. Per NCAA transfer rules, the Philadelphia product will have to sit the upcoming campaign before being eligible to play in the 2018-19 college basketball season.

As a freshman last season, he averaged 9.0 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game. The 6-foot-4 guard also shot 41 percent from the floor and 28 percent from beyond the arc.

Earlier in the offseason, the Rams hired Mike Rhoades to replace Will Wade as the program’s head coach.

Where does VCU go from here?

Rhoades spent the past three seasons as the head coach of the Rice Owls. The team made a dramatic improvement last year after only winning a total of 24 games in 2014-15 and 2015-16.

The Rams have not missed the NCAA Tournament since the 2009-10 college basketball season. The team has won 25 or more games in each of those seasons.

As for the Tigers, Auburn will be entering the fourth year of the Bruce Pearl era. During Pearl’s third season with the Tigers, the program saw its best win total (18) since the 2008-09 college basketball season. It wasn’t good enough to make the NCAA Tournament.

Auburn lost six of its last eight games to finish off its season.

Jon Rothstein has been a college basketball insider for CBS Sports since 2010 and is the lead college basketball columnist for the FanRag Sports Network. He is also the host of the College Hoops Today Podcast via Compass Media Networks, which is available via iTunes. Rothstein is also a regular in-studio correspondent for both WFAN and CBS Sports Radio. He currently lives in Manhattan.

Maybe I just missed the posts....but i never saw this coming .  BP not planning on running short of guards in years to come.

And we still only have one player over 6'8... and that one player will be leaving after next year!

1 person likes this

We'll be installing the super-secret 5-guard offense. The smaller high schools use it when they don't have a player over 5' 11".

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

And we still only have one player over 6'8... and that one player will be leaving after next year!

Woefully short of big men on this team. No pun intended!

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We'll be installing the super-secret 5-guard offense. The smaller high schools use it when they don't have a player over 5' 11".

Time to dust off the old "shuffle" that Joel Eaves ran  back in the day....It would be new and revolutionary....again.

1 person likes this

I am hoping he is one heck of a defender as 40% shooting and 28% from 3 point range is not exactly lighting it up especially at a position where we already seem to have a lot of quality players. I have been and still am a big BP fan but I have to admit this doesn't make much sense to me unless BP thinks we will be loosing some players at this position after next year.

16 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I see what you're saying. But I would also consider Spencer a big body in the college game, even though he's only 6'8. 

And while it's looking like Wiley is gone after this season, he could come back. Plus we've got EJ Montgomery committed who is an inch or two under being a 7 footer right now. 

And although we don't have a thread for him yet, we've offered a top 5 (nearly 7 foot) center from the 2019 class as wel.

Edited by Charhair
1 person likes this