I know it's only been two games but...

WarDamnEagleWDE

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AUwent said:

It's a case for concern, but I'd like to keep pointing this out:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/position/defense/sort/rushingYards/year/2017

Number one rushing defense last year. They returned nine starters BTW.

Washington: #1 rushing, #19 passing, #5 overall
Louisville: #50 rushing, #77 passing, #58 overall

The Louisville defense had two returning starters this year as well as a new DC.

2 hours ago, AidiAU said:

STOP!!!!! Attitude as in "I'm only going to play QB"?

Attitude as in overly smug in general right now & not easy to deal with. I hope it change cause I have high hopes for him too.

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Look at where we were two games into last season, our o-line is much better at this point than they were then. 

The OL from last year to this aren't comparable. JB has a lot of work to do.

And 147 the week before that against one of the top defenses in the country

3.3 yards per carry is not good even against a great D. LSU's D is better up front than Washington. If we have a better output against them then you can pump that sunshine with some validity.

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Yeah you’re right. The OL was so much better at this time last year. They only gave up 12 sacks to Clemson 

Braden & Golson were much more talented than anything we have on the OL this year plus Dunn was an experienced C who did well once he got going. Take or leave what I'm posting but the info is not mine. It comes from people who know much more about this team than most of us.

Not sure I understand what you saw in the ASU game to reach that conclusion.  We gained over 400 yards rushing and protected the qb’s.  I realize it was an FCS team, but it looked like we did what we needed to do.

Next week will tell us where we stand.  If we can’t run the ball effectively, there will be reason for concern.

2 minutes ago, eulessau said:

Not sure I understand what you saw in the ASU game to reach that conclusion.  We gained over 400 yards rushing and protected the qb’s.  I realize it was an FCS team, but it looked like we did what we needed to do.

Next week will tell us where we stand.  If we can’t run the ball effectively, there will be reason for concern.

Again. Has nothing to do with what I saw. It's just what I'm hearing from people who know the team and program better than me. If they are right I look at the Bama St. output as fools gold. Regardless JB has his work cut out for him this season.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Again. Has nothing to do with what I saw. It's just what I'm hearing from people who know the team and program better than me. If they are right I look at the Bama St. output as fools gold. Regardless JB has his work cut out for him this season.

Yeah, one thing Auburn fans need to be very clear on is that Alabama State is a very, very bad football team. That being said, line chemistry and communication is going to improve each time they step on the field, if nothing else. In that regard, any experience is good experience. Think we will get a good idea of where the line is this weekend, don't you E?

4 hours ago, looney said:

I'm assuming @AUwent is pointing out Washington's #1 ranked rushing D from 2017 (and, less directly, that they returned almost all of their starters from that squad, and that maybe we shouldn't judge too harshly from that performance). 

ONLY got 150 yds of rushing against last year's number one rushing D in the first game of the year....

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt still.

Seriously lol. We just rushed for 429 yards and didn’t give up one sack. And 147 the week before that against one of the top defenses in the country. People love to find dark clouds no matter what we do 

Was the safety not considered a sack? Not sure how that works out.

Was actually referring to WDEWDE’s statement not you  Ellitor.  Not saying either of you is wrong, but that it would make sense to see what happens against LSU before judging this line.

Also, for anyone to say that this OL won’t likely improve, seems a bit rigid to me.  Most people seem to feel that Grimes is an excellent teacher.  Why wouldn’t they get better?

3 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Was the safety not considered a sack? Not sure how that works out. 

It's a running play, so it's just a tackle for loss (TFL).

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

It's a running play, so it's just a tackle for loss (TFL).

I was a bit.. uhh.. under the influence of bourbon around that time so my memory is hazy. ?

16 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah, one thing Auburn fans need to be very clear on is that Alabama State is a very, very bad football team. That being said, line chemistry and communication is going to improve each time they step on the field, if nothing else. In that regard, any experience is good experience. Think we will get a good idea of where the line is this weekend, don't you E?

Depends on if Brahms is ready to start IMO.

9 minutes ago, eulessau said:

Was actually referring to WDEWDE’s statement not you  Ellitor.  Not saying either of you is wrong, but that it would make sense to see what happens against LSU before judging this line.

10-4 Captain!

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

This has been hashed to death in other threads, but my take...  Our coaching staff does not "miss" on any more than any other coaching staffs.  Look at any of the other top programs.  UAt for example.  How many 5* QBs have transfered out because of lack of playing time?  QB is a position of type A personalities.  You have to believe you are the best and when you lose your position then many don't take it well and look for other opportunities.  AU is just fine with JS and we have studs in the stable.  Yes, Willis may not be the polished passer that we had hoped.  JG may have issues.  Heck Bo may have issues.  But I think we are going to be just fine with what we have and what we have in the pipeline.

I don’t disagree with any of this.  Gus will find someone even if it’s not his original recruit.  I also understand Bama and UGA both have had 5*s that didn’t pan out.  I guess my concern is not as much that they aren’t starting material as I look at Willis these last two games and if you told me that he’d never played quarterback before college I would believe you.  Going back and watching Jeremy Johnson he had some of the worst form throwing a ball I’ve seen in D1.  Tua and Fromm prove me wrong but traditionally a true freshman starter in the SEC usually doesn’t end in a successful season.

35 minutes ago, ellitor said:

3.3 yards per carry is not good even against a great D. LSU's D is better up front than Washington. If we have a better output against them then you can pump that sunshine with some validity.

You’re right. Top 10 win in Atlanta against an elite defense isn’t good enough. 

Welp, we better just cancel the season! 

11 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Didn't say or imply that. Please stop taking my posts to irrational extremes.

And UW's D, specifically D Line, can't be classified as elite 2 games into the season, after playing a subpar AU OL & giving up 4.9 yards per carry against FCS opponent North Dakota.

17 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

LSU defense will be much faster and stronger than UW. I think that is his point and the run game will have to be much better than what was shown against them. It has nothing to do with the quality of  the win. 

"Willis is another great athlete who we have put at QB. Nothing more. Gatewood,as of now, is just a good, large athlete we have put at QB. The coaches may see something in JG that says " damn good passer with some coaching up", but overall, that hasn't been the MO. "

"Can we please stop recruiting QBs based off athleticism and get guys who are real QB's?"

^^^^^^This!!!  We all know JG is a project.

I've been on this bandwagon for a while.  And while everyone is ranting........Even if the OL improves we do not have a game changer in the backfield at this point. You may not agree but I don't see one.

9 minutes ago, SouthGATiger said:

"Willis is another great athlete who we have put at QB. Nothing more. Gatewood,as of now, is just a good, large athlete we have put at QB. The coaches may see something in JG that says " damn good passer with some coaching up", but overall, that hasn't been the MO. "

"Can we please stop recruiting QBs based off athleticism and get guys who are real QB's?"

^^^^^^This!!!  We all know JG is a project.

I've been on this bandwagon for a while.  And while everyone is ranting........Even if the OL improves we do not have a game changer in the backfield at this point. You may not agree but I don't see one.

People thought he was Cam reincarnated. Let's get on him the field first.

40 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Depends on if Brahms is ready to start IMO.

I hope so. I’m no coach, expert, or insider, but his physicality was very noticeably greater than our current starter this past weekend. Even accounting for the competition, it was obvious he plays with a much more aggressive nature. 

Archived