Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

4 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Marshall Column: The Entrenched Culture of Auburn Football

This has gone too far, so far that there is, really, no other outcome. Any chance Gus Malzahn has to remain as Auburn’s head football coach – any chance he had to effectively resurrect his program – is now gone. He may stay when this latest fiasco is resolved, but it will take long years for him to recover.

Long years, of course, is something Malzahn almost certainly won’t have at Auburn. His time is short.

There are reality TV shows on Bravo with more sanity than what’s happening at Auburn now. The characters may change, but the culture is entrenched.

This is the same culture that brought us the Terry Bowden departure, Jetgate, and the inability to patch up the aftermath of that flight to Louisville. Only the producers of the melodramas are different.

As the story unfolded, some at Auburn have said that these are not the old days at Auburn. Whatever. These days are as vintage Auburn as a Toomer’s lemonade.

Sadly, all of these incidents, including this one, have one thing in common: Poor leadership. That is also the Auburn way, of course.

I have no doubt that such infighting plagues many universities, but Auburn has the maddening penchant to make its troubles public. Someone in power doesn’t get their way, so they make their gripes evident for all to see, hoping their influence and money will allow them to change things. From all appearances, that is what is happening now, and that is why Malzahn’s future has changed again so dramatically.

For a while, maybe a few hours, Malzahn seemed secure. He might withstand this, after all, when Auburn President Steven Leath returns to town, but for the narrative to shift so suddenly indicates that the situation is almost irretrievable. In administrative terms, it will be the equivalent of the hurry-up, no huddle when Leath returns. A decision seems near.

Those who know Auburn football and Auburn University believe Malzahn will have difficulty surviving. But this is Auburn, home of the $32 million buyout and home of the ultimate dysfunctional culture, so nothing appears certain at this point. There are powerful people who want Malzahn gone and there appears to be a segment of power that wants him to stay.

In any other time, Malzahn might be able to recover and rebuild his program. But these are extraordinary times, with Alabama and Georgia at or nearing the peak of their powers. If the goal at Auburn is to build a championship program, this is not the way to do it.

To do it, there must be strong leadership. That leadership builds a healthy culture. Strong leadership and a healthy culture unify to fan base. Right now, Auburn doesn’t have either – or anything close to that.

These are, indeed, the old days at Auburn, and somehow they must end. Regrettably, Auburn, for all of its resources, can’t muster enough courage and foresight to find the parts to building a consistent winner.

More than anything, that is Auburn’s challenge, whether Gus Malzahn remains or not.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

After a good nights sleep, one question remains. If the school president also wants rid of Gus (under new buy-out terms) who is it that wants to keep him? Is there still a big donor on the side of Gus?

I think it is...and it’s a tug of war among the so called money people.

Who is this Marshall guy and does he have any way of knowing more than any other media person knows about the situation right now?

And what does he really say in the article that any one of us couldn’t have said?

53 minutes ago, Ber798297 said:

I wonder what Kristi Malzahn thinks of all of this.  If my husband was in this situation, I would advise him to take the money and go.  No one would fault him for that.  I would ask him if he wants to stay where he’s not wanted.  Maybe she has done this and he’s not listening...

Or Auburn could just fire him and give him his 32 million. All he can do is be mad while counting all that money with her by his side.

2 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Who is this Marshall guy and does he have any way of knowing more than any other media person knows about the situation right now?

And what does he really say in the article that any one of us couldn’t have said?

he appears to be an insider like Phil.  Marcello. Tate . etc don't know how good his sources are though

3 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Lots of words, very little content. 

The only thing that it says is what we have all been saying.  There is no way that Auburn comes out better with Gus running the show at this point, so we must move on.  We will take a financial hit one way or the other.  Our opponents have recruiting power over us if he stays.

2 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

I said earlier this morning if changes are made it happens today. 

Are you speculating or do you have a reason to believe this? Spill them beans!

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

Nah, we're playing the long game it'll be announced at 2:30 tomorrow to steal some attention from our rivals. It's genius!

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Just reading the tea leafs, if nothing today then we salvage the recruiting class and ride it out with no major changes unless someone leaves for another job.

If I’m a coach that Auburn wants I say I want this much money and total control or I’m out! That simple. Sign here and make the deal all of it public. Bob Stoops , Dabo , Saban , Meyer, Carroll could demand that not sure if there are others. 

23 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Meh.  Does anyone care about this guy's opinion?  These idiots like Marshall and Moon need to stop trying to move the story or be the story and stick to reporting on it.  We know we've imbecilic petty tyrants making poor decisions at AU.  That's not news. 

7 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Ask yourself if you were a legitimate head coach...what would it take for you to take this job, especially knowing how Auburn and it’s power players do business...

Incentive based pay and they would need to break ground on that FoF today.

4 minutes ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

If I’m a coach that Auburn wants I say I want this much money and total control or I’m out! That simple. Sign here and make the deal all of it public. Bob Stoops , Dabo , Saban , Meyer, Carroll could demand that not sure if there are others. 

Exactly...full control or no deal.

10 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Ask yourself if you were a legitimate head coach...what would it take for you to take this job, especially knowing how Auburn and it’s power players do business...

Coach mentality seems to always want to go against the best.   Top program, open checkbook for assistants, control, along with a commitment to a football only facility, in a recruiting hot bed.   Like my people skills, All In

5 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Meh.  Does anyone care about this guy's opinion?  These idiots like Marshall and Moon need to stop trying to move the story or be the story and stick to reporting on it.  We know we've imbecilic petty tyrants making poor decisions at AU.  That's not news. 

He's not wrong and he's not moving the story so much as giving a brutally honest accounting of it.  He's especially right about the fact that there certainly is a lot of behind the scenes power struggle drama at other schools, but somehow Auburn is the one that always makes it into public drama.

Well one thing is guaranteed. Next year we will not have a good coach on our sidelines regardless if Gus is here or not. 

Lol and this board will physically explode if Gus stays and we lose our bowl game.

9 minutes ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

If Gus coaches the bowl and loses the meltdown will be monumental.

I hadn't even thought about that. My God. This horror!!!

They could be waiting until early signing period to make coaching changes.

That would be a bad move 

If changes are made, it needs to be soon, so the incoming coach can try and salvage the class.

My guess is if Monday comes and goes without a new coach, Gus will be back.

I still think that the story leak about Stoops has basically saved Gus’s job. Any change after whiffing on Stoops looks discouraging to the fan base 

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Not at all. What has Chip accomplished that would warrant a 100k bonus?

It is in his contract. For everyone saying we should pony up the 32 million for Gus... Paying 100k is like throwing a dime away to be honest. Its part of his contract. Period.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Chip has accomplished nothing at Auburn because he has been a good soldier and has followed the ridiculous, misguided orders he's been given. But the bonus was written into his contract before the season. It is not performance based. Perhaps an incentive to stay through the SECCG, not sure. But I think it's a fairly standard setup. And $100k isn't a huge number. 

👆THIS👆

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Gus? Self reflection? Bahhh. Didn't you realize, he's done everything as perfect as a coach can do it. He just doesn't have the players.

Na, he thinks he has the players. He just blames the execution. Because... You know... He recruited these guys, so the blame has to be on the execution.

Also Scot Loeffler didn't have the guys to run HIS offense. Auburn had started recruiting for the spread somewhere around 2006. Once  Chizik hired a pro style OC it was all over for them both. Had Chizik went out and hired a spread OC after Gus left, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was still our head coach. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Could've been the 2nd-best RB in this program's history if a couple things (like his brain) went a different way. 

I've always said (mainly thought, but even said a few times in here) that had Mike Dyer been able to keep his head on straight, I've felt he would of been at least the 2nd best back we had ever had. I truly feel he would of blown away Bo as far as yards went. Dyer did things ONLY Bo had done at Auburn his first (and only) 2 seasons.

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

You know, the last time Al Borges left Auburn there was an offensive power vacuum...

Perhaps Al played a much bigger role in getting Auburn into competition form than we could've realized.

Maybe it's time to bring the real Big Al back to Auburn!

Al was here last season as an offensive analyst. I don't assume he was listened to much because he was doing film study on the defensive side of who we played. I mean we had an extremely intelligent...proven offensive mind at our disposal last year and it was essentially wasted...

Archived