Who replaces Chip?

auburnphan

24 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Briles has ZERO interest. Not sure why his name is even coming up. 

Replacement for Gus. 😁

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I'm think it will still be JB Grimes and I think they'll be a better unit. But in the long run it may hurts because of recruiting.

I'm guessing the same.

I just hope Gus changes the blocking scheme to match his supposed down-hill running style preference.

Put the aggressiveness back into the Linemen.  That won't help recruiting but hopefully it should at least help with what they've got to work with.

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yep. KB is a rockstar. He is now making over 2 million a year at a G5 school.

Not trying to disagree but I thought his contract was 2.1 mil over three years making it 700k a year which is 100k less than what chip was making. We could pull more money out if we wanted to get him. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'd say Kodi is the big leader in the club house. 

You said last week that there would be a lot of staff changes it Gus stayed, even some on defense.  Most already knew Chip would be gone and that's already happened, so what other areas will we see the purge/new hires?  Oline?  RB? and what about some defensive guys?

51 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I haven't seen the crybaby crew do anything but whine about "meddling". Got some links to where the whiners have recommended that Gus go without a true OC and do that himself? Links to my own previous suggestions concerning this don't count, as I can't be considered to be a card carrying member of GAGG. (Gripe About Gus Group)

1 post 

here is me specifically saying he should do it to prove us doubters wrong 

zeek says the same thing and we specifically reply to him that he should do it to finally answer questions

took about 10 minutes to search for this stuff with links. Oh and without your input. See how easy that is? So I actually hope he does this and prove us doubters wrong. So you , poet and 64 can also find a definitive answer on your guy. He is an offensive Guru? Let’s see it then for the Gus Gobblers.

11 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Hugh Freeze to Liberty for a year, then to Auburn as HC?

IDK. Got to be a long-play out there somewhere, which is what should be happening. It's a contract/time-line problem, the actual coaching delima seems to be already settled. Short term we're eating popcorn and hoping for the best, all the way up to the A.D., and PTB. They're going to save money and try to not get themselves fired. This is all my humble $.02, not trying to be a big shot, just chiming in.

The smart play really is for Gus to be HC/OC and go hire a QB whisperer.

- removes all the controversy about who is running the O side or calling plays

- streamlines the communication to the QB

- if we can hire a legit QB coach,  we now have someone to develop QBs

- squarely places all the accountability on one guy

- Gus does best when he is desperate

I think this is in our best interest even though I am not getting back on the bus, period.  

Gus just needs to run the offense. Seriously. Name himself OC, call all of the plays, and get a good QB coach/recruiter. That is what he needs to do at this point.

There is not an OC that will trust him to stay out of the play calling. Every OC under Gus left AU for a worse job. Think about that for a second. They all wanted out. He is a control freak and he wants his offense run a certain way. At this point - let him run it. If he fails, he is fired.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I've disagree with @Mikey a lot no doubt but I will give him credit where credit is due. He has said more than a handful of times over the past few years that Gus should be his own OC.

I have no doubt he feels that way as he is infatuated with Gus. My point is the people who doubt Gus have also referenced this and express hope that this actually happens so we can truly see his worth. Links above BTW

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I predicted Kodi to be OC weeks ago.  It was sorta in jest but in the back of my mind, I actually thought it was the legit choice.

This will be ALL Gus and everybody knows it.  Kodi will be a sounding board and Gus' eyes in the booth but Gus will be calling plays.

Frankly, as it should be.  Let him put up or Shut up.

Now.... Who is the OL coach and what is the blocking scheme to be taught in '19?  Those are more KEY than the QB IMO..

I, also, mentioned this a while back.  Gus is desperate and he is withdrawing within himself.  He is convinced that he knows and everybody else can’t know what he knows, therefore, Kodi is the natural choice. As for the OL coach, I would think he retains Grimes as he knows how to teach his blocking scheme and Gus (in his mind) has witnessed the improvement in the OL at the end of the season.

The one thing that I hope is that either Kelly Bryant or Tate do not come to Auburn to bail Gus out.  This wish in no way is anti-Auburn, but a pro-player stance for the athletes Gus has recruited. I want Gus to prove he can develop a QB that he recruited from HS.  He hasn’t done it yet.  I think he only has this year to prove himself, it should be highly entertaining in a macabre sort of way.

1 hour ago, tbone1430 said:

Not trying to disagree but I thought his contract was 2.1 mil over three years making it 700k a year which is 100k less than what chip was making. We could pull more money out if we wanted to get him. 

I very easily could of read it wrong.

I did. I thought I saw 2.1 million but it was a google card that I saw it on. My mistake

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

I, also, mentioned this a while back.  Gus is desperate and he is withdrawing within himself.  He is convinced that he knows and everybody else can’t know what he knows, therefore, Kodi is the natural choice. As for the OL coach, I would think he retains Grimes as he knows how to teach his blocking scheme and Gus (in his mind) has witnessed the improvement in the OL at the end of the season.

The one thing that I hope is that either Kelly Bryant or Tate do not come to Auburn to bail Gus out.  This wish in no way is anti-Auburn, but a pro-player stance for the athletes Gus has recruited. I want Gus to prove he can develop a QB that he recruited from HS.  He hasn’t done it yet.  I think he only has this year to prove himself, it should be highly entertaining in a macabre sort of way.

I don’t think Kelly Bryant is heading this way unfortunately.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I don’t think Kelly Bryant is heading this way unfortunately.

Any particular reason or more of a gut feeling? 

Just now, tbone1430 said:

Any particular reason or more of a gut feeling? 

Gut feeling. I think the uncertainty will keep him away. I would love to be wrong though because I believe he gives us our best option next year.

1 minute ago, WDEDothan1976 said:

I saw something this morning that he was going to Arkansas since it was close to home

Plus the connection with Chad. It would be a reason as well.

2 minutes ago, WDEDothan1976 said:

I saw something this morning that he was going to Arkansas since it was close to home

I thought Bryant grew up and played HS ball in South Carolina. He must take the long way home, maybe through Omaha.

13 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

I thought Bryant grew up and played HS ball in South Carolina. He must take the long way home, maybe through Omaha.

LOL...this board is full of posts based on “feelings” and made up facts..KB is from SC

Archived