Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

5 minutes ago, shabby said:

Here is a crazy thought. What if Bo Nix is the better quarterback? And for a follow up question. Isn't that the most likely reason Nix is starting. Like everyone else, I wanted to see Gatewood come in during the LSU game as Nix was just not going to win it. But I still believe he was the better of the two quarterbacks? Why? because he wouldn't still be the starter if not. It's not Like Gus hasn't made QB changes in mid season before. The biggest question I have is why doesn't Gus let Dilly do his job and develop our QB's. Isn't Dilly supposed to be rather good at that? That's the baffling part.

This will be very easy to see. The team's reactions will tell you everything you need to know

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Id like to see a larger sample size of his performance at Minn. first. His first 2 years weren’t that great and while the gophers are 8-0 right now, if you go look at their schedule, they have not beaten a power 5 school that has a winning record yet this season. Their best wins are 4-4 Nebraska and 4-4 Illinois, and then they played cupcakes for all their non conference games, and had trouble with wins against them. 

Keep an eye on Fleck for sure, but IMO he hasn’t done anything too impressive yet. 

I wouldn't care if they did lose to Wisconsin or Penn State or Iowa in upcoming games. The fact is that Minn is not getting the same athletes that those schools are getting and they've vastly improved since he's been there. They've gone from a program where those schools could just chalk up a win against them and name the score to where now that's not the case.  He's getting the most out of the talent he's recruiting. Similar to Franklin at Penn State. Vandy didn't win the SEC while he was there but he got good production out of the talent that he could get. The same with Scott Satterfield at Louisville and it is his first year. Louisville got plastered last year by at least an average of 20+ point losing margin. This year they beat a ranked Virgina. It's about the fact that both coaches went to programs that were a mess and changed the culture and attitude very quickly and showing results. Imagine bringing that to AU with much better recruits and facilities. Yes, sign me up. Gus had 1 year of HC experience when so they've already surpassed that. 

one day auburn will quit being it's on worst enemy.............

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Bro are you reading some of this stuff? Lol. We need to really have interventions on this forum

Bo's numbers are very similar to Kiehls. I don't have the energy to check if people were this adamant about him being the one and only starter.

Just thinking out loud if this is a new symptom of GusBus or an old one.

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I wouldn't care if they did lose to Wisconsin or Penn State or Iowa in upcoming games. The fact is that Minn is not getting the same athletes that those schools are getting and they've vastly improved since he's been there. They've gone from a program where those schools could just chalk up a win against them to where now that's not the case.  He's getting the most out of the talent he's recruiting. Similar to Franklin at Penn State. Vandy didn't win the SEC while he was there but he got good production out of the talent that he could get. The same with Scott Satterfield at Louisville and it is his first year. Louisville got plastered last year by at least an average of 20+ point losing margin. This year they beat a ranked Virgina. It's about the fact that both coaches went to programs that were a mess and changed the culture and attitude very quickly and showing results. Imagine bringing that to AU with much better recruits and facilities. Yes, sign me up. Gus had 1 year of HC experience when so they've already surpassed that. 

Quality post. This is how you're supposed to judge coaches

Is it official that Joey has left the team?  I have read around and get a lot of chatter about him leaving while hearing he is still here. Anyone have the exact information on this?

WDE!

Doc

1 minute ago, Mims44 said:

Bo's numbers are very similar to Kiehls. I don't have the energy to check if people were this adamant about him being the one and only starter.

Just thinking out loud if this is a new symptom of GusBus or an old one.

I don't know either but I do remember people would get very mad if you said kf wasn't that good. I think Bo is ahead of where KF was at QB personally. We all sound pray that's the case IMO

20 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

Gatewood was the 1st committed student athlete for the entering class of 18 and Worm was the 2nd. My heart melts today because I considered them as the leaders of the class. They helped bring a lot of high profile athletes in for that class. I understand that Joey had to do what he had to do for himself. I don't think we should over think the reason that he left but we should just respect his decision. He is doing what he felt is best for him. I take his leave personally because of the bond built. I wish him the best of luck in this situation. 

Great perspective. Worm can have an even bigger leadership role going forward. I hope we can get him some more carries down the stretch. We are going to need him!

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well the only other situation we have of Gus making changes is Jeremy for Sean, he refused to even run a real gameplan when JJ, JF3 or Malik Willis was backups (so we could develop them in case injury came), so you really shouldnt believe Gus has a good eye in managing QBs at all. Second, that aforementioned instance, the starter wasn't a legacy. your entire premise ignored that as if it hasnt clearly had an impact in the evaluation of Bo by both this program and the media 

I didn't ignore that. In fact that was the first thing i discussed and dismissed. What eveidence does anyone have that Nix started because he was a legacy. I'm going with  Ockham's razor. The simplest explanation is the best one. Nix was the better QB. 

Its 

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Thank you for the post Ms. Shivers!  In general, it is nice to see your posts again.  I was worried we almost lost you a few weeks ago.

Im here... Its just been tough so Ive been keeping quiet. Nobody can run me off, I don't scare that easy lol

2 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Is it official that Joey has left the team?  I have read around and get a lot of chatter about him leaving while hearing he is still here. Anyone have the exact information on this?

WDE!

Doc

Momma Worm is close to him and she said in an earlier post that its true. 

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's clear as day that jg knew he was the better qb and said he'll wait because they would come out and when it was time for him to have an opportunity Gus showed that he wouldn't get it.....but as far as your other points that's part of playing QB. Stuff happens. And also for every yin there's a yang so what about all the passes that weren't good but the wr's made incredible plays and so on.

Why are you biased though? What makes you biased to Bo but not to JG?

That is fair although personally I still think Nix will be the better QB when comparing their junior year tape in the future, but that is just my personal opinion.  The only disagreement I will have is the OL.  We saw how poorly Stidham did last year with our OL.  How poorly would other QB's have done as true freshmen with our current OL?

For me with Bo, I followed him so early on in high school so I have gained an affinity for him.  I also admire the presence he has over his team.  He kind of reminds me of Jake Fromm in his personality.  When he rushed in for a touchdown in the LSU game, how he was looking up at their crowd and pumping his chest that is what I would hope for in our QB.  Not to say Joey isn't like that at all, and I love Joey as well.  If you recall I would post stats about him all of the time, even mentioning how well he did in high school against Trevor Lawrence when they faced off.

4 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

WDE!

Gus has a teleconference to announce it Doc.

10 minutes ago, shabby said:

Here is a crazy thought. What if Bo Nix is the better quarterback? And for a follow up question. Isn't that the most likely reason Nix is starting. Like everyone else, I wanted to see Gatewood come in during the LSU game as Nix was just not going to win it. But I still believe he was the better of the two quarterbacks? Why? because he wouldn't still be the starter if not. It's not Like Gus hasn't made QB changes in mid season before. The biggest question I have is why doesn't Gus let Dilly do his job and develop our QB's. Isn't Dilly supposed to be rather good at that? That's the baffling part.

But how do we really know that as FACT since Joey wasn't given a real opportunity to say that Nix is indeed the future? After all that has occurred....you REALLY trust Gus's judgement at this point when it comes to QB's? I don't think that with the sample size that Joey was given we can say one way or the other. At least we have some data on Bo. My point with Joey this year has been to at least give him a chance to prove one way or the other. Some are just assuming since Joey wasn't given the opportunity to pass when he was in the game that he can't throw. We simply don't know that. This is the same Gus that let SW stay in the game when he clearly was hurt and couldn't complete a pass over 10 yards. So i don't think it's simple as Bo was the best option or Gus would've put him in. This is Gus we're talking about....

Why are folks still ignoring the fact Gus to this day hasn't developed a QB? If Bo doesn't get some outside help, he will only regress further. The playcalling is going to make him lose confidence and give in to more second guessing. 

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

But how do we really know that as FACT since Joey wasn't given a real opportunity to say that Nix is indeed the future? After all that has occurred....you REALLY trust Gus's judgement at this point when it comes to QB's? I don't think that with the sample size that Joey was given we can say one way or the other. At least we have some data on Bo. My point with Joey this year has been to at least give him a chance to prove one way or the other. Some are just assuming since Joey wasn't given the opportunity to pass when he was in the game that he can't throw. We simply don't know that. This is the same Gus that let SW stay in the game when he clearly was hurt and couldn't complete a pass over 10 yards. So i don't think it's simple as Bo was the best option or Gus would've put him in. This is Gus we're talking about....

We do not know if JG was given an opportunity. He may have looked worse in practice with no contact than Nix looked against UF and LSU. We just don't know.

7 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

WDE!

Doc

He's going to finish the semester on campus and then look for his next school. 

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Great perspective. Worm can have an even bigger leadership role going forward. I hope we can get him some more carries down the stretch. We are going to need him!

Those are not my thoughts lol but at this point I just support him as a mother should.

14 minutes ago, shabby said:

Here is a crazy thought. What if Bo Nix is the better quarterback? And for a follow up question. Isn't that the most likely reason Nix is starting. Like everyone else, I wanted to see Gatewood come in during the LSU game as Nix was just not going to win it. But I still believe he was the better of the two quarterbacks? Why? because he wouldn't still be the starter if not. It's not Like Gus hasn't made QB changes in mid season before. 

It's definitely the most logical explanation, especially for a coach on the hot seat. 

Let's say that isn't true - that Gatewood actually would have been a better quarterback moving forward. Then him not playing is either politics, as some have suggested, or incompetence. If that's the case then I would lean towards incompetence, but that's just me. 

1 minute ago, RHN1975 said:

We do not know if JG was given an opportunity. He may have looked worse in practice with no contact than Nix looked against UF and LSU. We just don't know.

lol. You can't be serious. According to Gus everyone has a great practice. I'm talking about live games. JJ looked great in every practice we had according to Gus's press conference but was a hot mess in games. We DO know that Joey wasn't given an opportunity to show if he could give the offense a spark in those games b/c Gus didn't play him. So you're saying you trust Gus's judgement when it comes to QBs?

I hope Cord has improved his arm strength. We are in deep dodo if Bo goes down. I really though Joey would stay the course for this season and then transfer. Very sad day indeed. I could not blame Joey for leaving after the season, but him leaving at this juncture of the season hurts team imho.  Gus is really starting to wear on my nerves as the HC. I hope the team will not get too down over this and let it effect their play.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That is fair although personally I still think Nix will be the better QB when comparing their junior year tape in the future, but that is just my personal opinion.  The only disagreement I will have is the OL.  We saw how poorly Stidham did last year with our OL.  How poorly would other QB's have done as true freshmen with our current OL?

For me with Bo, I followed him so early on in high school so I have gained an affinity for him.  I also admire the presence he has over his team.  He kind of reminds me of Jake Fromm in his personality.  When he rushed in for a touchdown in the LSU game, how he was looking up at their crowd and pumping his chest that is what I would hope for in our QB.  Not to say Joey isn't like that at all, and I love Joey as well.  If you recall I would post stats about him all of the time, even mentioning how well he did in high school against Trevor Lawrence when they faced off.

Other QB's deal with it all the time. Our o line is bad but it's not that bad. And they are much better at pass blocking than run blocking. Bo isn't hiking the ball then literally running for his life.

The only game I've been at was the Oregon game and there were 4/5 throws where guys were wide open he just didn't pull the trigger. I said this is his first game though and should be expected. Now here we are against lsu and there were plays where the same guys were open in the same spots.....I expected to see improvement over 7 games. 

It certainly would help if he had an all world o line, but that's not why his completion percentage is so bad. It's just not reality. 

Archived