Auburn closing in on Bryan Harsin

Tony4AU

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TigerTaz said:

I don’t see how any people who wanted Napier could be unhappy with Harsin. He’s got more years as as a head coach and only 3 years older. 

Napier has SEC experience, and has recruited well in the southeast. 

1 minute ago, DyeCampAlum said:

It’s funny. We were all lathered up over Napier, who looks terrific but is actually less qualified than this guy. And we whine about QB play year after year, this guy was a QB and can coach QBs. 

Winner 

As of right now I'm not liking what Im hearing down there about this hire, its sounding like as of right now that Steele will be retained. That news could very well change but as of right now it's not looking good. 

12 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

It's because of people like you that we get blown out by Georgia and Alabama. Tell me why he's a better option than Gus? You can't 

Oh, I can.  I've actually, you know, watched Boise games.  He runs a more dynamic offense and actually develops QBs.  Plus he has a winning record against P5 opponents while using 2 and 3 star recruits.

It's people like you who don't actually pay attention to anything outside of the SEC that are holding us back.  The two most successful coaches in the SEC this century came with no ties to the conference.

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Freeze and Cristobal were better options. Sarkesian was a better option. Even Napier and Clark, who I wasn’t sold on, were better options and were more proven. Of the last three coaches at Boise, this guy has the worst record. 

Please elaborate.

43 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Guys, I know this is a long dead dead horse but how the **** did we hire 5-19 Chizik? Bro that's criminal.

1 minute ago, e808 said:

@aubearcat save this post and we will revisit this in 3 years. I live in Hawaii and love Auburn. I have seen Boise State up close in personal more than most. Playing power 5 teams every now and then is different form on a weekly basis. I hope he proves me wrong.

Dually noted. I live in Alabama am an alumnus of AUburn (‘99) as well as the AUMB. I will be more than willing to accept whatever derision you have. I’m not saying that the dude is automatically great but I do think he’s better than Clark, Steele, or the other names mentioned lately. I also think he’s got a lot of potential and if he fails, on to the next search and hopefully the stranglehold of the boosters has been broken by this hire. I’m eager to see what he can do. 

I’ll support this coach but I’ve got some MAJOR concerns.  

1) The AU program is currently crap.  IMO we needed more of a splash hire, someone that could turn heads when his name is mentioned.  I think we fell way short on this one.

2) Unless I’ve missed something, he likely doesn’t have many connections in the states where we primarily recruit.  It may take years to build those relationships, so it appears that we may be looking at a long term rebuilding project.  Maybe he can hire some proven recruiters as assistants but I’m  not convinced that assistants with this kind of experience would be thrilled to work for this guy.

IMO the search process couldn’t have gone much worse as it pertains to the immediate future of the program.  

Hopefully someone in the know can talk me off the ledge...

44 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Urban Meyer coached in the MWC and the MAc before going to Florida.  Should everyone have crapped on him too?

Ugh.... not a great comparison there. Chris Petersen literally made Boise a brand name by beating really good P5 teams. Harsin is a good coach but he hasn't had to build a program. Boise while still a good program isn't at the level Petersen had Boise at from 2006-2011. Boise finished in the top 10 four times under Petersen. They've never finished in the top 10 under Harsin. The highest Boise has finished under Harsin is #16 in 2014.

Urban took over a down Utah program that had a losing season the year before he got there and went 12-0 his 2nd year.

4 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

After a quick scan through his bio, I'm pretty excited about this. He's a proven winner and seems to be able to develop players just by looking at his record at Boise St. 

Welcome to the plains, Coach! 

Boise State has 23 current NFL players. That’s some high quality coaching out of a perennial top 50 recruiting class. 

1 minute ago, slot canyon said:

I believe that is the point he was making.

No the point was that he didn't think he would do good because he would be playing Power 5 schools every week versus very seldom at Boise. No crap. But he will also be facing these power 5 schools with power 5 talent as well. 

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Napier has SEC experience, and has recruited well in the southeast. 

He coached at Texas as an OC... not a WR coach. That should count. 

1 minute ago, mdp5150 said:

Boise State has 23 current NFL players. That’s some high quality coaching out of a perennial top 50 recruiting class. 

But how much of that was Petersen?

4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

The whole point in throwing Malzahn out on his butt was to get Auburn to the next level. The belief was that we should be winning more than 9 games a year. We should be too 5 in recruiting. We should be competitive in the playoff hunt. The move to get Malzahn out was made to elevate Auburn in the college football world. This hire just doesn’t give me any confidence that it is going to happen. 

Im happy it isn’t Steele. But to go throw a 9 day search, pass on several very qualified and better candidates, miss out on several others, and arrive at a guy with almost no power 5 experience... I’m disgusted.

Football is about blocking, tackling, etc., power 5 or not. If he can do that well he can succeed here. He will have access to better talent and players here. He is not bringing his Boise team and being asked to play an SEC West schedule. He will have an opportunity to do it with SEC level players.

1 minute ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Ugh.... not a great comparison there. Chris Petersen literally made Boise a brand name by beating really good P5 teams. Harsin is a good coach but he hasn't had to build a program. Boise while still a good program isn't at the level Petersen had Boise at from 2006-2011. Boise finished in the top 10 four times under Petersen. They've never finished in the top 10 under Harsin. The highest Boise has finished under Harsin is #16 in 2014.

Urban took over a down Utah program that had a losing season the year before he got there and went 12-0 his 2nd year.

Thank you for saying this.

HC - Bryan Harsin

OC - Dell McGee

DC - Derek Mason

Make it happen tonight 

4 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Jesus, everything I watch makes me more excited!

Gonna be soooo much more refreshing than “it was another great week of practice” crap 

2 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

As of right now I'm not liking what Im hearing down there about this hire, its sounding like as of right now that Steele will be retained. That news could very well change but as off right now it's not looking good. 

if Harsin cant bring in his own staff....

nodawg.gif

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well now he will be playing power 5 teams with power 5 players too or did you forget that?

If he can ‘croot em.   Maybe he can.  

Archived