What's the approach now?

AUght2win

It's hard to get a sense of what's going on in recruiting right now overall for the 2022 class.

Is the staff banking on filling the remaining slots with star power? Or are we going to do what a lot of us thought Harsin would and pull gems late that nobody has heard of? 

Basically, what's the staff's outlook and plan? Are we desperate? Confident? Do they believe we are on schedule or behind schedule? 

At this point I have a hard time believing that we are going to flip very many people, if anyone. FSU is a train wreck and LSU has no coach, yet none of them have decommitted. The signing period is in 5 weeks… 

we need to sign Agbo (sp). He is definitely at the top of the list. After that I think there are a couple of Juko players we will sign (defense). We need to pick up a couple of linebackers and some wide receivers but I have no idea at this point who that will be. I think Clemons is out.

• Like 1

It used to be in recruiting that the big dogs walked late. That no longer seems to be the process. Most of the big talent seems to get locked down a lot earlier. If we are heading into signing day banking on de-commits and flips, I am concerned we will be on the outside looking in.

I've offered to buy a couple of McDonald's meals to some of the top recruit's Twitter accounts if they sign with Auburn. 

Results remain to be seen. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Haha 1

Most people realized with this staff coming in late and with so many new coaches who were not from South East so had to start the relationship process from ground zero that it was going to be tough pulling a great 2022 class. What I have seen though is building a professional recruiting organization that does not rely just on the coaches. If we can get another quality WR ideally Williams or Clemmons (I know probably gone). We are working on Agbo and Quick at OT with Anez Cooper as a backup option. I think if we get one of Agbo (my preference) or Quick we will also offer Cooper then go Transfer Portal or JUCO for more o-line. We definitely need at least 2 more D-Line and 1-2 more LB. It looks like they feel good about some DB's and they may have found another diamond in the rough RB Andrew Paul.  

Like everybody else I wish we had more commits at this time but with proper utilization of transfer portal that could be less of an issue then in the past. Am I happy with this class so far? No, but it is about what I expected so far. What I am happy about is the amount of players we seem to be working on in the 2023 class. These are players the recruiting organization has reviewed and that are in a more diverse geographic area then in the past. Now lets see if the seeds that have been planted will bear any fruit next year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Most people realized with this staff coming in late and with so many new coaches who were not from South East so had to start the relationship process from ground zero that it was going to be tough pulling a great 2022 class. What I have seen though is building a professional recruiting organization that does not rely just on the coaches. If we can get another quality WR ideally Williams or Clemmons (I know probably gone). We are working on Agbo and Quick at OT with Anez Cooper as a backup option. I think if we get one of Agbo (my preference) or Quick we will also offer Cooper then go Transfer Portal or JUCO for more o-line. We definitely need at least 2 more D-Line and 1-2 more LB. It looks like they feel good about some DB's and they may have found another diamond in the rough RB Andrew Paul.  

Like everybody else I wish we had more commits at this time but with proper utilization of transfer portal that could be less of an issue then in the past. Am I happy with this class so far? No, but it is about what I expected so far. What I am happy about is the amount of players we seem to be working on in the 2023 class. These are players the recruiting organization has reviewed and that are in a more diverse geographic area then in the past. Now lets see if the seeds that have been planted will bear any fruit next year.

Very well said. We need to calm down. This was to be expected to a certain level. Let him finish out the class and let's see where we stack and then we know what we need to go after in the portal...then start cranking for that beast 23 class.

• Like 2

If I’ve learned nothing else about Harsin, it’s this: he’s ultra competitive in everything he does. And he doesn’t seem interested in his staff being any different. I know we are not where we want to be now, but I am confident this staff will close like fiends. I look forward to seeing that the next few weeks. 

39 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Which is why I've been so hard on this staff. If the coaches can't recruit in the south then it was a poor decision to hire them in the first place. That '23 class had better be something very, VERY special. Recruit or GTHO.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Which is why I've been so hard on this staff. That '23 class had better be something very, VERY special. Recruit or GTHO.

He wanted coaches he knew and who bought into his hard work and discipline style.  Next years class has to be good nut as to very, very special that may still be unrealistic. two years is not enough time to say things like GTHO especially with how poor o-line recruiting has been for many years now. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He wanted coaches he knew and who bought into his hard work and discipline style.  Next years class has to be good nut as to very, very special that may still be unrealistic. two years is not enough time to say things like GTHO especially with how poor o-line recruiting has been for many years now. 

Top ten will do. 

Edited by AUwent

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

How many top ten classes have we ever had?

2001--7

2007--9

2010--6

2011--5

2013--10

2014--6

2015--8

2016--9

2017--9

2020--7

Need one next year to make up for '21 and '22, or else we will REALLY feel it. Look what happened last Saturday.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 3

Just now, AUwent said:

2001--7

2007--9

2010--6

2011--5

2013--10

2014--6

2015--8

2016--9

2017--9

2020--7

Where are those rankings from?

Those classes from 2013-2020 yielded us a Birmingham and Music City Bowl trophy, one SECW title, a bunch of frustrating losses, and a depleted OL roster that resulted in what we saw last Saturday. Is this what we are aspiring to now?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, AUwent said:

2001--7

2007--9

2010--6

2011--5

2013--10

2014--6

2015--8

2016--9

2017--9

2020--7

Need one next year to make up for '21 and '22, or else we will REALLY feel it. Look what happened last Saturday.

Well those got us mostly 8 wins seasons let it play out man. God almighty you are 

Jump Cliff GIF

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well those got us mostly 8 wins seasons let it play out man. God almighty you are 

Jump Cliff GIF

You said it yourself in the Malik Agbo thread: "we're not even close to what A&M has." And your comment about Rhym further illustrates my lack of confidence in this class. 

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Where are those rankings from?

Top 10 recruiting classes were the norm under Gus. As ranked by any legitimate site. Even in his first season. It petered out a bit towards the end, as it became obvious Gus was lost and couldn't develop players. But it didn't crater until his last season. 

I'm not on board with all the doomsday stuff, but I can't disagree with @AUwent's basic premise. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

You said it yourself in the Malik Agbo thread: "we're not even close to what A&M has." And your comment about Rhym further illustrates my lack of confidence in this class. 

Well, luckily your confidence means Jack and is worth less than Jack

Like the rest of us

• Haha 3

I'm not at all ready to judge Harsin as a bad recruiter.

However.

- Saban's first class was #3, and Bama was a dumpster fire that had been irrelevant for a decade.

- Urban Meyer's first class was #2, following consistent 7-8 win seasons from Zook (similar to where Gus left us)

- *Chizik* pulled a top 10 class his first go around at Auburn. 

- Kirby's first class was #3, piloting a program with similar means and in a similar position as what Gus left us.

We have to at least acknowledge that instant recruiting success is very possible, and that CBH has not been able to do it. We don't necessarily need to excuse away this class by saying it takes years to build up an elite recruiting game. That isn't true. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

However.

- Saban's first class was #3, and Bama was a dumpster fire that had been irrelevant for a decade.

- Urban Meyer's first class was #2, following consistent 7-8 win seasons from Zook (similar to where Gus left us)

- Kirby's first class was #3, piloting a program with similar means and in a similar position as what Gus left us.

We have to at least acknowledge that instant recruiting success is very possible, and that CBH has not been able to do it. We don't necessarily need to excuse away this class by saying it takes years to build up an elite recruiting game. That isn't true. 

And arguing “oh but Harsin is an unknown to recruits!” isn’t exactly making the case for him.

Edited by AUwent

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

However.

Chizik I'll give you. AU would NEVER get away with what Saban and bammer did his first several years, and even Saban thinks Kirby's cheating is blatant. Saban no longer has to go that route, but he did at first.  Meyer.....had Tebow, some class guys on the lines and at WR, and folks that most teams wouldn't tolerate. Heck, I wouldn't even want him as our coach As far as Gus's recruiting, having 4 star tight ends and wr's that you never use, and QBs you never develope help your star ratings, but OL wins you ball games. Inflated ratings did not help the teams he put on the field. Also,NIL and the portal are huge, and I have no idea if that will be a plus or a negative for AU. Time will tell. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1