New Offensive Coordinator - Austin Davis

Zeek

11 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Seems odd to me that we would have to wait out for the NFL season to be complete before hiring him.

We've hired him. 

I have a coworker who has already been hired by her next job. Her last day here is 12/29.

Seems like the Seahawks should be function just fine with a QB coach for a couple weeks.

I mean... we're not even playing football again until next Labor Day except for a meaningless bowl game. We should probably be able to function just fine without a QB coach for a couple weeks, too. 

You'd also think the new guy would want to get in here and start evaluating his QB options and talking/analyzing the players in the portal as soon as possible.  

I'm sure he'd like to in a perfect world, yes. But since he's not currently working for a different university, there's nothing stopping him from doing that in addition to his day job. I mean, especially if his job with the Seahawks is so inconsequential that they don't need him at all... ;)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Seems odd to me that we would have to wait out for the NFL season to be complete before hiring him. Seems like the Seahawks should be function just fine with a QB coach for a couple weeks. You'd also think the new guy would want to get in here and start evaluating his QB options and talking/analyzing the players in the portal as soon as possible.  Makes me think this is not as done of a deal as people say it is. 

NFL doesn't allow coaches to quick or take other jobs before the end of the season

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I have a coworker who has already been hired by her next job. Her last day here is 12/29.

Trying to get away from you I assume just a guess on my part

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Trying to get away from you I assume just a guess on my part

That's a good assumption but this time it's not accurate. Clearly she's got issues she needs to work on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Seattle isn’t going to make the plays, we’ll get him soon enough and in time to go after Clovis in the portal if They wish.

And another way to look at it is Hars wouldn't have offered him if he wasn't comfortable waiting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

NFL doesn't allow coaches to quick or take other jobs before the end of the season

Sure they do, just ask Meyer and Brady ( if you want to leave that way).

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Didn't Petrino and Saban quit in the middle of the season? How could an employer possibly control if a worker quits? Not saying you're wrong just never heard of that before. 

Just speaking from my experience in the work place. Most of the time people are so excited about the next spot that just give dueces to the old place. But maybe he is working till the end of the season as a favor to Carrol, the Seahawks, or Wilson. But still...seems AU could make an official announcement and say he is hired but will work out his current season in Seattle. 

I'm not saying any of this because i'm concerned about the getting him quickly or that i think we need his input into bowl prep. Just seems odd to me that we've had our guy for a week supposedly and nothing official has been released. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Sure they do, just ask Meyer and Brady ( if you want to leave that way).

He's not going to burn a ton of NFL bridges for our OC spot.  Most assistants can't even interview for jobs until they have a bye week or out of the playoffs (I think the NFL is restructuring that a little.

Both of those also got fired

5 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Didn't Petrino and Saban quit in the middle of the season? How could an employer possibly control if a worker quits? Not saying you're wrong just never heard of that before. 

Just speaking from my experience in the work place. Most of the time people are so excited about the next spot that just give dueces to the old place. But maybe he is working till the end of the season as a favor to Carrol, the Seahawks, or Wilson. But still...seems AU could make an official announcement and say he is hired but will work out his current season in Seattle. 

I'm not saying any of this because i'm concerned about the getting him quickly or that i think we need his input into bowl prep. Just seems odd to me that we've had our guy for a week supposedly and nothing official has been released. 

he could quit if he wants, then burn ever bridge back to the NFL when their team is in the playoff hunt.  That's not going to happen.

41 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I think it's just a respect situation for Davis working for Carroll. 

My understanding from those that put it out there, was that Davis wasn't going to come to Auburn until after the season was over anyway.

If Harsin wants this guy, as the next in line, and he fells like he's got enough staff to run the bowl game then so be it.

Davis is probably allowed to do something remotely but taking time off evidently is not part of the deal...

Just now, steeleagle said:

I think it's just a respect situation for Davis working for Carroll. 

My understanding from those that put it out there, was that Davis wasn't going to come to Auburn until after the season was over anyway.

If Harsin wants this guy, as the next in line, and he fells like he's got enough staff to run the bowl game then so be it.

Davis is probably allowed to do something remotely but taking time off evidently is not part of the deal...

...and one more thing. Carroll with the season their having is still trying to do everything to win as many games as possible, even if they aren't making the playoffs. Keeping his staff together evidently is important down the stretch.

45 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's not going to burn a ton of NFL bridges for our OC spot.  Most assistants can't even interview for jobs until they have a bye week or out of the playoffs (I think the NFL is restructuring that a little.

Both of those also got fired

That may be true about the NFL, but if a team is out of the playoff hunt, then he could be named OC as early as next Wednesday. The Seahawks are 5-8 and have a must win game against the Rams Tuesday. If they lose that, there is almost 0 chance they make the playoffs. I don’t agree w the burning bridges comment either. He’s 32. If he comes to a Power 5 school and has some success, there is no doubt another NFL team would look at him for a position, possibly OC at that point. The NFL is after up and coming, innovative minds and he has had the chance to work w Russell Wilson, learn some from Pete Carroll, who is one of the few success stories jumping from college to pro and he has a fair share of actual NFL playing time and experience, plus being from Mississippi, it puts him close to home again. Just my thoughts, but I think he could be a diamond in the rough. I for one am glad we didn’t pursue Dillingham hard again. 

• Like 2

Why the hell would a guy piss off a super bowl winning coach and a bunch of other people in the NFL just to come be a college assistant coach a few weeks earlier? 

I really can't fathom why this is a thing.

• Like 4

Also, lol at all the talk over the years  about guys quitting on Auburn, but now we want a guy who would quit on the Seahawks when they still have an outside shot at the playoffs and still have regular season  games to play either way. 

Step outside your Auburn bubble for a minute, folks!  The wide wide world of sports is pretty cool! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, lol at all the talk over the years  about guys quitting on Auburn, but now we want a guy who would quit on the Seahawks when they still have an outside shot at the playoffs and still have regular season  games to play either way. 

Step outside your Auburn bubble for a minute, folks!  The wide wide world of sports is pretty cool! 

The Seahawks are NOT making the playoffs this year, so he is not really quitting, I mean he is not the OC there.   This happens constantly in the NFL, just as it does in college. Look at Brian Daboll. Spent a couple of years under Saban as OC and then got hired by the Bills, a team that has a real legitimate shot at the playoffs. Not sure what bubble you are referring to. Either Harsin will offer him and he accepts or doesn’t. He’s not currently in line for any big promotion with Seattle, so it’s really a moot point. Hell he’s only 32. He has tons of years to move up the ranks and land a higher position in the pros if that’s what he wants. 

24 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

The Seahawks are NOT making the playoffs this year, so he is not really quitting, I mean he is not the OC there.   This happens constantly in the NFL, just as it does in college. Look at Brian Daboll. Spent a couple of years under Saban as OC and then got hired by the Bills, a team that has a real legitimate shot at the playoffs. Not sure what bubble you are referring to. Either Harsin will offer him and he accepts or doesn’t. He’s not currently in line for any big promotion with Seattle, so it’s really a moot point. Hell he’s only 32. He has tons of years to move up the ranks and land a higher position in the pros if that’s what he wants. 

Except you haven't provided any legitimate reason *why* he would do this.

Nor do you have any idea if Harsin *wants* the guy to quit. (God, yes, it would be quitting. Seriously??) Did you know that Harsin spoke to Carroll about it over the phone personally? Do you think he and Davis are going to screw over the guy who made this all possible?

And, again, why?? We don't need the guy right now!

48 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Daboll left in the middle of the season to join the Bills???

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Except you haven't provided any legitimate reason *why* he would do this.

Nor do you have any idea if Harsin *wants* the guy to quit. (God, yes, it would be quitting. Seriously??) Did you know that Harsin spoke to Carroll about it over the phone personally? Do you think he and Davis are going to screw over the guy who made this all possible?

And, again, why?? We don't need the guy right now!

We aren’t seeing eye to eye obviously. And that’s fine. Whether or not Harsin wants him to quit is really beside the point. Yes, there are more hoops to jump through in the NFL when making a move to the college ranks, but what in the hell are you having such a hard time understanding? The Seahawks have been trending down for the last 2.5 years. If you follow the NFL a tiny bit, then you know that Russell Wilson wanted out before this season and I believe will be gone after they are at home again watching the playoffs. And as for screwing over the guy that made it all possible, that is an asinine comment. The NFL is a business first company and that is exactly what college ball has become. I just don’t see why this is so hard to fathom. Maybe it happens and maybe it doesn’t, but your support behind your thinking is no stronger than mine. It’s a difference of opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

We aren’t seeing eye to eye obviously. And that’s fine. Whether or not Harsin wants him to quit is really beside the point. Yes, there are more hoops to jump through in the NFL when making a move to the college ranks, but what in the hell are you having such a hard time understanding? The Seahawks have been trending down for the last 2.5 years. If you follow the NFL a tiny bit, then you know that Russell Wilson wanted out before this season and I believe will be gone after they are at home again watching the playoffs. And as for screwing over the guy that made it all possible, that is an asinine comment. The NFL is a business first company and that is exactly what college ball has become. I just don’t see why this is so hard to fathom. Maybe it happens and maybe it doesn’t, but your support behind your thinking is no stronger than mine. It’s a difference of opinion. 

Except you're too busy insulting me to even come up with a reason why he needs to quit now.

Don't worry, I won't be getting you so upset anymore.

A coach finishing what he started and working till the end of the season!! That alone has me excited about this guy!!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2021 at 5:06 PM, MustardSeed said:

This is a little odd actually (not in a bad way just based on science)

Shortly after puberty growth plates are supposed to fuse and once that happens bones can no longer grow. So I wonder if we are somehow delaying or extending puberty or if your experience is an anomaly. Healthy diets supposedly do help people grow a little taller but that shouldn’t affect when puberty ends. Maybe it’s all the added hormones in the meat we eat these days?  I have no idea. Just interesting 

Humans in general are growing bigger and taller with every generation due to better nutrition and availability of food in general. 

Maybe this kid will never get any taller, but that has not been the case with my son and his group of friends....two of them played sports for bama and one for Auburn and they ended up taller and larger in general than they were at HS graduation. 

11 minutes ago, woodford said:

He could burn a bridge, but if he kills it at Auburn another NFL team could hire him.  

Your boss/former boss does not control your life. It’s a big world. 

But a rather small NFL community.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1