Heartbreaking News!

of course ESPN would spin in it   paging Charles Barkley to the white courtesty phone... paging Charles Barkley to the white courtesy phone

Chuck's mouth could only make this thing worse.  :-[

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They didn't say much in the article about what they have on him.  Is he accused of being paid or is he accused of making bets or what to shave points against the spread?  All that I recall is another player approached a coach with a suspicion.

This makes me sick on several different levels. And nobody wants the FBI investigating them regardless of how clean you perceive yourself to be. Like the IRS, if they look hard enough and long enough, even if they find nothing--it hurts. It hurts in recruiting and it's costly in time and emotion.

I just hope this isn't a death blow to the basketball team. Who knows when all the info will come out and I hope this doesn't go too deep, but wow. This program was just starting to look up, I hope this doesn't totally derail it.

Was this guy on his own or did he have a book maker? think how many close games we lost this season that we should have won.

Well at least AU can't get in trouble for this

Are you sure about that... I'm not?

What did AU do wrong?  I don't see how AU could be in trouble unless the staff knew about it and covered it up.  Barbee's whole staff has been with him for a long time, I just don't see them being caught up in this. 

Barbee's got 2 of Komara's former AAU players on the team & neither have played in about a month.....  A connection?  A coincidence?  :dunno:

Which two?  I have absolutely no clue what you are trying to suggest with this.....

What did AU do wrong? I don't see how AU could be in trouble unless the staff knew about it and covered it up. Barbee's whole staff has been with him for a long time, I just don't see them being caught up in this.

Barbee's got 2 of Komara's former AAU players on the team & neither have played in about a month..... A connection? A coincidence? :dunno:

Which two? I have absolutely no clue what you are trying to suggest with this.....

I deleted my post. I'll just leave this sleeping dog alone for now.

What did AU do wrong?  I don't see how AU could be in trouble unless the staff knew about it and covered it up.  Barbee's whole staff has been with him for a long time, I just don't see them being caught up in this. 

Barbee's got 2 of Komara's former AAU players on the team & neither have played in about a month.....  A connection?  A coincidence?  :dunno:

Which two?  I have absolutely no clue what you are trying to suggest with this.....

I deleted my post.  I'll just leave this sleeping dog alone for now. 

We ALL know the Komara/NCAA history with the AU basketball program.  It hasn't been that long ago that his own son was jetted from the team at the advice of the NCAA.

That's cool...believe me, I am aware of the layers and layers of issues that AU basketball has been through over the years.  Here you have a player who was shaving points to make AU play worse in order to not cover spreads.....usually when a team gets caught cheating it's because they were doing stuff to make themselves better so they can WIN. 

We ALL know the Komara/NCAA history with the AU basketball program.  It hasn't been that long ago that his own son was jetted from the team at the advice of the NCAA.

That's cool...believe me, I am aware of the layers and layers of issues that AU basketball has been through over the years.  Here you have a player who was shaving points to make AU play worse in order to not cover spreads.....usually when a team gets caught cheating it's because they were doing stuff to make themselves better so they can WIN. 

I'm don't mean to point fingers.  Just coincidental that Ward played AAU for Komara, and ends up on the take and in the middle of a point-shaving investigation.  (IMO, AAU basketball will continue to do nothing more than harm college basketball programs.  The schenanigans that go on are the lowest of the low. JMHO)

Let me ask? Is it a fact he was shaving points or is it an allegation that has yet to be proven...i see Denson was cleared of any wrongdoing? How did that come about? Has Varez admitted to point shaving? I see the usual woe is me attitude from a lot of people, but as I stated at this point this is still in the investigative phase...

Let me ask? Is it a fact he was shaving points or is it an allegation that has yet to be proven...i see Denson was cleared of any wrongdoing? How did that come about? Has Varez admitted to point shaving? I see the usual woe is me attitude from a lot of people, but as I stated at this point this is still in the investigative phase...

I don't know.  From reading the article, one could guess that another player was approached to be a part of it and went to a coach about it... but that is only a guess.

Was this guy on his own or did he have a book maker? think how many close games we lost this season that we should have won.

Shaving points is not about htrowing games; it only involves the point spread. A team could win every game but if someone is shaving points; they could lose on the over/under and the point spread and still be winning. Just looking at how many close games we could have won with better FG shooting or ball handling. Just saying this probably isn`t about winning and losing but by how much.

I'm don't mean to point fingers.  Just coincidental that Ward played AAU for Komara, and ends up on the take and in the middle of a point-shaving investigation.  (IMO, AAU basketball will continue to do nothing more than harm college basketball programs.  The schenanigans that go on are the lowest of the low. JMHO)

I wouldn`t point fingers if I didn`t mean to. Sounds like a lot of people have him convicted and sentenced and we don`t even know what is involved yet. I hate the publicity for the school and I hate if true this young man went down this path. I`m just not going to throw stones until I know more of the story.

Anyone else see the possible bammer connection here? Varez is from Montgomery so he has plenty of UA connections(friends, relatives,parent's co-workers, etc). He averaged about 2 turnovers a game until the bammer game when he had 6 in limited minutes. He also shot 1-5 in that game with his only made basket being a layup. Keep in mind this was the same game the refs seemed to be all over us. Could be a coincidence but if you REALLY think about it there are a few points that seem to add up.

I have to admit I've never been a basketball fan, but it pisses me off turning on the TV and seeing AUBURN POINT SHAVING PROBE on the top stories of sportscenter. Just more negative press we don't need. Bringing back nightmare memories of 2010.

Sorry but to me after reading the known facts, Ward is guilty.  Just look at what happened when he was in the game for limited time against Alabama. I wish I had that game recorded somewhere so I could go back and watch game when he was in. From his stats that were pointed out and the nature of the turnovers in relation to the time left in the game and lead that Bama had, it looks pretty damning.  This just makes me furious!  To think that we might have won that game had he not done that or at least went to OT, its just sickening.  I will apologize if I am wrong but the manner in which events occurred look pretty cut and dry.  It was reported a teammate went to the coach with concerns that he was doing this or recruiting others to help do it.  Teammates dont do that to each other unless there is merit in what is being alleged.  My guess is Denson was asked to help him and declined but failed to tell the coach and it was another player that was approached by Ward who blew the whistle.  Im just thankful that we have good enough young men on the team that it was reported to the coach!

Anyone else see the possible bammer connection here? Varez is from Montgomery so he has plenty of UA connections(friends, relatives,parent's co-workers, etc). He averaged about 2 turnovers a game until the bammer game when he had 6 in limited minutes. He also shot 1-5 in that game with his only made basket being a layup. Keep in mind this was the same game the refs seemed to be all over us. Could be a coincidence but if you REALLY think about it there are a few points that seem to add up.

Sure go ahead, blame the turds ----- I'm pointing fingers at a former fella that was part of landing AU basketball on 2 yrs probation back in '04 (Whom Varez Ward played AAU ball for) and I get chastized for it. May as well point a few fingers at our enemy too. Heck, they'd have more motive to put AU through another media scandal and NCAA/FBI anal probe than anybody else I guess. (Notice the sarcastic yellow tint to my post)

Auburn coaches/compliance/administration did everything they were supposed to do when this mess was brought to their attention.  They handled it in model fashion.  As it stands right now with what we know, AU will be fine.  Can't say the same for Ward.

The funny thing about this is that the FBI and the NCAA and Yahoo Sports can report anything that Auburn does wrong within days. Auburn has a less than 24 hour news cycle every other school in the country takes months or years.

One more thing I feel like I have to say, is it just me that thinks that Auburn's sports programs need our AD to step up and call a meeting in the new arena to speak to every student athlete we have and lay the law down!  I dont care what some people say otherwise, our beloved university is getting black eye after black eye in the national news and it has ABSOLUTELY lowered a great many people's perception of Auburn.  Whether this is right or wrong this is reality!!   All you have to do is get on any sports message board and where you see the word Auburn you will see negative comment after negative comment and its not just Alabama fans that are saying these things.  The fact of the matter is that many of you would probably feel the same way about another school if they were constantly in the news for bad things happening within that school.  The law needs to be laid down to these athletes that THERE IS A ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY FROM NOW ON!!!  One strike and you are outta here!!!  I dont care if it is a PI at a bar, an under age drinking charge, anything that could be construed as bad for the schools image happens because of an individuals choices and actions results in expulsion from team and school.  Auburn has a serious image problem and it needs to be repaired IMO.  Anyone else agree or have ideas how we can prevent more problems down the road?

First, AU and AU basketball are fine and have nothing to worry about and will not be in any trouble whatsoever (assuming what has been reported so far). AU found out about it and reported it themselves. Ward will be in trouble, but AU is fine and did everything right as usual.

Second, I have to wonder about the Bama game. The officiating in that game was well beyond bad. It was a joke and so bad, I think this is one of the VERY few times when there may be something to a conspiracy. Normally I laugh at even the mention of a conspiracy. But the officiating in that game was extraordinarily one sided against the home team in the first half. The second half was officiated ok, but the refs seriously kept bama in the game early and were SOLEY responsible for the lead bama had at half (I think it was 7 points).

Now, I am not saying bama fans or anyone associated with bama had any part in it. But due to the way the first half was officiated and some corroborating knowledge that the game was actually fixed to an extent, it would not surprise me if there was some type of Tim Donaghy situation.

Archived