***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

42 minutes ago, '76 Tiger said:

Sean is known on the team as "Rambo!"  I would advise Jarrett that he has a worthy competitor for QB1 status.  Whatever happens in that competition we will not be faced with the collapse we had this year when QB1 gets injured.   Whatever happens, as Phillip Marshall says, it will be fun to watch.

The thing that has always stood out to me about Sean is that he seems to play above the level he's expected to play at. Remember, he won the MVP of the Elite 11 camp (which included Deshaun Watson, Kyle Allen, and Brad Kaaya) in high school, so rising to the challenge is nothing new to him. I'm not saying he'll beat out Stidham, I'm just saying I don't expect him to go quietly into the good night.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

That's who I was thinking of. Get the Davis-s mixed up...

Yep, seems like half the team is named Davis.

Edited by Never2Yield
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Richard78 said:

What about Barrett? Is he content to likely have no starting chance for another year?

I think that Woody will be in the mix this spring. It would be great to have a solid backup to JS without any drop in  performance. This goes for SW as well. JFIII might be moved to a WR position. He should be the man returning punts and kick-offs with his world class speed. He offers so much and his talent should not be wasted.

1 hour ago, Dan-0 said:

This is great news, very exciting. Do y´all think both SW and JF3 will stay at AU for next year? 

I have no inside information but my gut feeling is that SW stays and JF3 looks for a new home. His best shot at seeing the field is at a new position. What that position would be, I have no idea.

I wouldn't leave Ryan Davis out though. He can play. Slayton/K. Davis/Craig-Meyers/Stove/R. Davis... that's a heck of a five-wide set if you need it. Pettway and Kerryon healthy. Cox coming back. Heck, we might even mix in a pass-catching TE if Cannella joins the club. Plus a slash guy like Octavious Matthews. I like the playmakers in this offense, and I like the building blocks on the OL assuming Braden Smith comes back. Smith, Golson, and James are three good ones coming back.

• Like 2

1st play next season. Empty set with Slaton, K. Davis, R. Davis to the left and NCM split right with Stove in the slot. Stidham looks and smiles real big.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Sounds pretty sweet to me

Gus has always had a dynamic offensive team, when he trusts his quarterback. So now with the possibility of all 4 being healthy next Fall ( and on campus in Spring)  JS, SW, WB and TQ should raise CGM's spirits. I know it sure will raise mine.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

1st play next season. Empty set with Slaton, K. Davis, R. Davis to the left and NCM split right with Stove in the slot. Stidham looks and smiles real big.

bb...CGM might just draw that play up if they all stay healthy.

• Like 1

Finally, a proven QB to go with our great wr class. I'm excited for next year. Should be very fun to watch.

• Like 1

With the presence of Stidham added to the mix, I'm not sure we've had this much talent at the QB position since 1993, when Patrick Nix was Stan White's backup and Dameyune Craig was redshirting. If Sean, Stidham, and Barrett perform up to the level of those three guys, we'll be championship contenders for years to come!

47 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Not even gonna comment on the competition for starter (i.e. if coaches were satisfied with that, why go after JS?  A solid backup? LMAO).

Now, has JS signed a letter of intent or attended class at Auburn?  Let me know when that happens and I'll get excited.

These kinds of comments always kill me, like the coaches wouldn't go after an elite talent unless the cupboard was completely bare. Sean should not have seen the field his first two years at AU (too small, needed time to beef up), but he is a good QB. Barrett, from what I've seen, is a very good QB, with potential to be more. If you can get a Stidham, you get a Stidham, no matter who else you have. I think that there is a *good* chance that JS wins the starting job, but I also think that Woody and Sean give him a solid run for us money.

So excited about this commit. I thought we were on track for a good year next year already but this really puts in a good spot.

For those saying he doesn't need development - he does. He only started 3 games. But this time we will know for sure if the kid fails that it's not the kid that can be blamed because this guy has put up numbers during his multiple starts. 

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard78 said:

What about Barrett? Is he content to likely have no starting chance for another year?

I think that Woody will be in the mix this spring. It would be great to have a solid backup to JS without any drop in  performance. This goes for SW as well. JFIII might be moved to a WR position. He should be the man returning punts and kick-offs with his world class speed. He offers so much and his talent should not be wasted.

34 minutes ago, bigbird said:

(Clemson calls timeout)

Edited by Sani-Freeze
  • Like 2