2016 Recruiting Board (Updated: 2/17/16)

WarEagleAU

We only have 11 commitments at the moment. We need to get the ball rolling because it's not like we are in the middle of the summer anymore.

It will be a miracle if we can get to 22 which is plus 11 in 3 whole months and some change.

Again. SMH. We'll get to 23-24. We just have to keep getting quality kids and fill positions of need.

I love the optimism. I will have what you're having. Tell Gus I said hi because he must be telling you some good stuff. :/

I'm not having anything. Teams almost always fil their numbers even if star quality declines in doing so. As long as you and Jeff have folowed recruiting y'all should know that by now. And for the record, I never said we would keep getting the same quality. Just said we would fill the numbers which was the point of my OP.

You said we have to keep getting quality. At this rate, we are not getting 24 players of quality . Definitely if yall consider Tony Clayton not a take. And it sure as heck doesn't seem like we are holding out for quality when we have been offering atleast one juco Johnny a week lately.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They key word being keep getting quality. We have to do a better job of evaluating the recruits before they arrive. How could our defensive product be so bad with high quality talent.

We only have 11 commitments at the moment. We need to get the ball rolling because it's not like we are in the middle of the summer anymore.

It will be a miracle if we can get to 22 which is plus 11 in 3 whole months and some change.

Again. SMH. We'll get to 23-24. We just have to keep getting quality kids and fill positions of need.

I love the optimism. I will have what you're having. Tell Gus I said hi because he must be telling you some good stuff. :/

I'm not having anything. Teams almost always fil their numbers even if star quality declines in doing so. As long as you and Jeff have folowed recruiting y'all should know that by now. And for the record, I never said we would keep getting the same quality. Just said we would fill the numbers which was the point of my OP.

You said we have to keep getting quality. At this rate, we are not getting 24 players of quality . Definitely if yall consider Tony Clayton not a take. And it sure as heck doesn't seem like we are holding out for quality when we have been offering atleast one juco Johnny a week lately.

I never said nor implied we would keep getting quality to finish the class. You read way too much into my posts than what was actually there.. All I said is we will get our 23-24. Trust me, I'm worried if the quality will be the same as the first 11 commits.

And FTR TC was not a take. He said himself we had backed off the past month. I don't like it either but I can understand why. At 219 lbs he's not going to contribute as a freshman at the Buck. We need guys that can contribute there immediately, especially if Carl goes pro. That likely means a juco guy...And i5 looks like we may get 1 this weekend.

How could our defensive product be so bad with high quality talent.

The reality is overall they are not as quality as they were rated, plus poor player development.

I never said nor implied we would keep getting quality to finish the class. You read way too much into my posts than what was actually there.. All I said is we will get our 23-24. Trust me, I'm worried if the quality will be the same as the first 11 commits.

And FTR TC was not a take. He said himself we had backed off the past month. I don't like it either but I can understand why. At 219 lbs he's not going to contribute as a freshman at the Buck. We need guys that can contribute there immediately, especially if Carl goes pro. That likely means a juco guy...And i5 looks like we may get 1 this weekend.

Trust me, I'm worried if the quality will be the same as the first 11 commits.
Alright then. We are on the same page again.
And it looks like we may get 1 this weekend.
As long as he can pass rush.

According to my accounting we used all available slots last year so there are no "count back" slots available.That means can sign up to 25 this time. I'm hoping we can get 25 good prospects to sign with us but looking around right now I don't know exactly where they'll come from.

24. We are counting Jamel Dean in the 2016 class per all AU sites.

That's exactly what I said. We have no countback slots, so 25 slots available. If Jamel Dean will be part of the '16 class he's one of the 25. When he signs there will be 24 slots left for other players, as 25-1=24. Should Dean not sign, then we're back to 25. Capish?

According to my accounting we used all available slots last year so there are no "count back" slots available.That means can sign up to 25 this time. I'm hoping we can get 25 good prospects to sign with us but looking around right now I don't know exactly where they'll come from.

That's exactly what I said. We have no countback slots, so 25 slots available. If Jamel Dean will be part of the '16 class he's one of the 25. When he signs there will be 24 slots left for other players, as 25-1=24.

Wait....25-1=24???? What?????

That's exactly what I said. We have no countback slots, so 25 slots available. If Jamel Dean will be part of the '16 class he's one of the 25. When he signs there will be 24 slots left for other players, as 25-1=24.

Wait....25-1=24???? What?????

Apparently some can't grasp the 25-1=24 concept. Maybe you can explain it better? :)

The reality is overall they are not as quality as they were rated, plus poor player development.

More on the poor player development than their rating. Ratings and stars are nothing more than a measuring tool for recruiting. Once those players hit campus, they ALL have to be molded, trained, and developed to fit the identity of the program. We've had 5 DC's run through here in the past 8 yrs bringing various schemes and personalities to the staff. Constant change, constant movement in various directions provides no stability or continuity.

"A rolling stone gathers no moss."

More on the poor player development than their rating. Ratings and stars are nothing more than a measuring tool for recruiting. Once those players hit campus, they ALL have to be molded, trained, and developed to fit the identity of the program. We've had 5 DC's run through here in the past 8 yrs bringing various schemes and personalities to the staff. Constant change, constant movement in various directions provides no stability or continuity.

I still say it's equal. It's obvious some players were overrated. Not every player has the same talent level nor can be developed the same no matter how good a coach is at player development.

I thought Dean was already here. What's the "if he signs" business? I thought that was the point of E's post that we already have one guy in house that counts toward the 25, which tells you we will sign 24. Not 25. Am I missing something?

As for the quality/quantity discussion, I'd say a fair shake of those 4* we've signed lately were underwhelming. I'd gladly take a 3* with a chip on his shoulder like we routinely signed under Tubs. If that's what we're getting in some of those "new" targets on the DL, I am 100% for that. The star rating can rot for all I care. I want to watch an aggressive defense that can get stops and scare some people. If it takes signing more 3* JUCOs (like Nick Fairley), I'm in. If it takes signing more under-recruited dudes like Sen'Derrick Marks (2*) or Antonio Coleman (3*), I'm in. I want dudes that will play mean. Screw the star system for once.

I thought Dean was already here. What's the "if he signs" business? I thought that was the point of E's post that we already have one guy in house that counts toward the 25, which tells you we will sign 24. Not 25. Am I missing something?

Yes. What you are missing is that 2016 prospects can't sign or go on scholarship yet. If/when Dean goes on scholarship, he'll take one of the 25 slots available for 2016. At this point, we have 25 openings. Dean is expected to take one of those slots but nobody, Dean or anyone else has already used a 2016 slot. Therefore, as I said, we have 25 available.

Okay. It's splitting hairs though. He walked on and sat this year with a guarantee of a scholarship. I doubt we renege on that. He's already at Auburn so it's not as if we are recruiting to the 25.

There was talent here...We have 14 rookies (not all D of course) in the NFL this year either Active or on practice squads. Don't know how many will make it this year.

Yes. What you are missing is that 2016 prospects can't sign or go on scholarship yet. If/when Dean goes on scholarship, he'll take one of the 25 slots available for 2016. At this point, we have 25 openings. Dean is expected to take one of those slots but nobody, Dean or anyone else has already used a 2016 slot. Therefore, as I said, we have 25 available.

He is here and he's on scholly. He started June 22nd. As you pointed out last year players who enroll after May 31 can count in the next class.

He is here and he's on scholly. He started June 22nd. As you pointed out last year players who enroll after May 31 can count in the next class.

Nonetheless, we have 25 slots for 2016. Exactly who uses those slots does not change the fact that we have 25. I'm just trying to remind you that you should think at least once before you "correct" people that are correct to begin with. You've been through this previously with any number of people here.

Is Auburn recruiting RB? 5-9, 215, Joshua Johnson from Opelika.

No. We are done at RB in this class unless we can snag an elite guy like Kareem Walker.

Archived