I'm confused and getting kind of nervous

AURex

Wasn't Sammy Coates a 2* when he committed?

I've only made it to the second page of responses, but was about to mention Sammie after seeing some of the comments anyway. Pretty sure Coates was, indeed, a 2 star (which only means the player has yet to be evaluated) when he committed, and he finished as a mere 3 star...but he got his scholarship offer at an AU camp after the coaches saw how much speed he had with his frame (think I remember he ran a laser timed 4.3 40, or something along those lines).

Coaches do their own evaluations, or at least they should. Any coach who goes after players purely because of their rating on some internet site does not belong in the SEC.

Sammy pretty much lived up to his ranking. He had tons of potential, that he flashed occasionally.

wde

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y'all it was clearly a joke...

Chimes,

No you were being serious! Seriously sarcastic with a twist of misdirection to provide a humorous anecdote! :)

I've only made it to the second page of responses, but was about to mention Sammie after seeing some of the comments anyway. Pretty sure Coates was, indeed, a 2 star (which only means the player has yet to be evaluated) when he committed, and he finished as a mere 3 star...but he got his scholarship offer at an AU camp after the coaches saw how much speed he had with his frame (think I remember he ran a laser timed 4.3 40, or something along those lines).

Coaches do their own evaluations, or at least they should. Any coach who goes after players purely because of their rating on some internet site does not belong in the SEC.

Sammy pretty much lived up to his ranking. He had tons of potential, that he flashed occasionally.

wde

Okay, guys, first of all, it's S-A-M-M-I-E.

Second, recruiting rankings are purely BASED upon potential, so if he had such great potential, then the rating was off in the first place.

Third, the guy averaged just over 20 yards per catch for his entire career, including almost a thousand for the season on the SEC Championship team two years ago. I mean, seriously, his last two years were with a QB who makes for an outstanding leader, but who is transitioning to DB in the NFL because he doesn't have the arm accuracy to make it in the pros. Yes, he had some drops that should have been catches, but let us not forget how much we have leaned upon running the ball for the past two seasons.

Finally, he was also selected in the third round of the NFL draft. I think perhaps he deserves more respect than you're giving.

wde

Second, recruiting rankings are purely BASED upon potential, so if he had such great potential, then the rating was off in the first place.

Third, the guy averaged just over 20 yards per catch for his entire career, including almost a thousand for the season on the SEC Championship team two years ago. I mean, seriously, his last two years were with a QB who makes for an outstanding leader, but who is transitioning to DB in the NFL because he doesn't have the arm accuracy to make it in the pros. Yes, he had some drops that should have been catches, but let us not forget how much we have leaned upon running the ball for the past two seasons.

Finally, he was also selected in the third round of the NFL draft. I think perhaps he deserves more respect than you're giving.

Yes, his draft position in the 3rd round (not 1st or 2nd) was based on potential. So are you saying that Sammie would have been achieved a higher draft position should he had been better coached or had a better QB? Are you suggesting that Sammie Coates will be another Julio Jones?

wde

wde

Yes, his draft position in the 3rd round (not 1st or 2nd) was based on potential. So are you saying that Sammie would have been achieved a higher draft position should he had been better coached or had a better QB? Are you suggesting that Sammie Coates will be another Julio Jones?

wde

No. I'm not. I'm saying that he did a lot more for Auburn than you saying he played at a 3 star level implies. If he hadn't shown enough flashes of his potential to warrant being drafted in the 3rd round, do you think he would have been?

Just because a player isn't perfectly consistent does not mean that he doesn't make big time plays on a pretty consistent basis. If all he had was potential, he never would have been drafted in the first place because the scouts wouldn't have heard of him.

But alright, you dug in your heels and doubled down on the idiotic statement that Sammie Coates, an integral part of the team that was a breath away from winning it all, played up to his 3 star ranking (and no more). Please provide some kind of evidence to support your conclusion, if you wish to continue beating that drum.

I could be wrong but I get the impression that while Chimes believes what he is saying I think he is also posting in good fun. Feel free to correct me as needed Chimes.

Intentionally obtuse word games, oh what fun. :rolleyes:

;)

lol. I don't know what obtuse means in that context but my intent was to try to read Chimes without stepping on anyone's toes.

Haha, well in that context the word obtuse would mean, "not able to think clearly or to understand what is obvious or simple". So in this particular case the person was intentionally not understanding and using word games. ;D

I could be wrong but I get the impression that while Chimes believes what he is saying I think he is also posting in good fun. Feel free to correct me as needed Chimes.

Intentionally obtuse word games, oh what fun. :rolleyes:

;)

Certainly meant what I said but didn't want it to turn ugly or personal. I could feel your anger/frustration coming through the screen and definitely didn't want that. I think we'll have to agree to disagree and move on.

Well you are reading it wrong, again, so you just might be taking this stuff a little too sensitively. No, nobody is mad at you. Quite frankly, the most you might ever see from me on this board, is some annoyance from time to time. With respect to our other dialogue about recruits, you may notice I never responded to your last post about it. We good ?

Folks, wish we would remember that when star gazing this time of the year, where the star's power rating begins is not always an indication of how bright they will burn in the prognostication constellation at the end of the year. The alignment always seems to shift after some more senior season influence in relation to their internal and external gravitational performance evaluations and throughout the orbital camps.

OK enough with the heavenly word fun. Some of these 3 stars are going to make it to 4 stars. Some of the 5 stars are going to be downgraded. Some 4 stars will become 5 stars. It is a natural progression.

Best thing to do now is seek for the stars, but trust in the coaches. They have the master plan in knowing what and where these stars will ultimately align and which ones have the potential to burn the brightest in terms of their ultimate place within the AU constellation.

The sun hasn't set and the moon is not illuminating the night sky until after the winter solstice begins. Take care of business in the season of harvest (on the gridiron backdrop) and the season of giving will bring in a star lit sky we can all be proud of. In that, I am truly confident.

WAR EAGLE!

Folks, wish we would remember that when star gazing this time of the year, where the star's power rating begins is not always an indication of how bright they will burn in the prognostication constellation at the end of the year. The alignment always seems to shift after some more senior season influence in relation to their internal and external gravitational performance evaluations and throughout the orbital camps.

OK enough with the heavenly word fun. Some of these 3 stars are going to make it to 4 stars. Some of the 5 stars are going to be downgraded. Some 4 stars will become 5 stars. It is a natural progression.

Best thing to do now is seek for the stars, but trust in the coaches. They have the master plan in knowing what and where these stars will ultimately align and which ones have the potential to burn the brightest in terms of their ultimate place within the AU constellation.

The sun hasn't set and the moon is not illuminating the night sky until after the winter solstice begins. Take care of business in the season of harvest (on the gridiron backdrop) and the season of giving will bring in a star lit sky we can all be proud of. In that, I am truly confident.

WAR EAGLE!

After reading this, I'm confused and getting kind of nervous.

:blink:

I'm not in the "sky is falling" group. It's early and there's still time. That having been said, to claim that the current state of our DL recruiting is just wonderful and there is no need for concern is simply not true. IF (caps intended) things continue on their current course we won't be "fine" on signing day next February. Instead we'll be disappointed.

Many, but not all of the big names that were talked up as Auburn targets have committed elsewhere or are no longer targets for other reasons. Worry, fear, etc. are not appropriate but concern certainly is. When a ship's captain becomes concerned about rocks ahead he changes course, he doesn't ignore the rocks. Our DL recruiting needs a course change and to recognize that does not make someone a Nervous Nellie.

People that "get worried" or "nervous" about recruiting need to go to therapy. It's JUNE people. Not one person here can control anything about who we sign. Let it go and find something happy in your life.

People that "get worried" or "nervous" about recruiting need to go to therapy. It's JUNE people. Not one person here can control anything about who we sign. Let it go and find something happy in your life.

But it's fun! My life is otherwise perfect in every way. Therefore, I need to follow recruiting so I'll have something to be worried about!!!! :)

Won't be till Monday but I have some insight to what's happening on the DL front. I'm not concerned about it as much anymore.

Ok it's Monday... What gives?

Won't be till Monday but I have some insight to what's happening on the DL front. I'm not concerned about it as much anymore.

Ok it's Monday... What gives?

patience grasshopper. 7:19 is a bit earlier than he usually posts.

I'm not in the "sky is falling" group. It's early and there's still time. That having been said, to claim that the current state of our DL recruiting is just wonderful and there is no need for concern is simply not true. IF (caps intended) things continue on their current course we won't be "fine" on signing day next February. Instead we'll be disappointed.

Many, but not all of the big names that were talked up as Auburn targets have committed elsewhere or are no longer targets for other reasons. Worry, fear, etc. are not appropriate but concern certainly is. When a ship's captain becomes concerned about rocks ahead he changes course, he doesn't ignore the rocks. Our DL recruiting needs a course change and to recognize that does not make someone a Nervous Nellie.

Good post. My only argument is that these recent commits aren't necessarily indicative of what the current course actually is. For example, the #1 player in the country- a DL- just visited out of nowhere and had a great visit. Now WDEWDE is telling us not to worry just a few days after telling us that he himself was worried. Not drawing a correlation between WDEWDE's change of mood and Gary (from accounting)... just using some of the moving parts as examples.

BUT... you're right. We only know what we know, and it's understandable that folks look at our rivals and perceive us falling behind. I'll trust in Muschamp, but it's a crazy business we follow.

I wonder how much of the fact that many of these highly rated guys, many of whom we thought we were in it, if not leading, for, have committed elsewhere is because of Boom. I don't mean that they are committing elsewhere because they don't like Boom or think he's one and done at AU. I mean, I wonder how Boom rates these highly rated guys. Now, I understand that this question will immediately be open to the sour grapes charge; they're committing elsewhere because we didn't want them, and so on. But what if there's some truth to it and it's not an excuse? What if Boom isn't just going by stars and recruiting site evaluations? What if he wants to see the kids in action, in camp, get to know them and their personalities, and do his own evaluation?

I agree that from the outside, things are looking worthy of concern.

I wonder whether Auburn coaches are as concerned as the fans who read the message boards.

I wonder whether Boom thinks CRG is a terrible coach who now can't even recruit and needs to be fired.

These are not questions we'll know the answer to, in all likelihood. But I'm looking forward to seeing how this all plays out, including how our D plays on the field.

:wareagle:

This was discussed on another board to some extent but here is what I was told by some people who would know. And as you know I was VERY worried about the DL recruiting and was told AU was not a while back.

CWM has to appvove all defensive recruits. Period. He wants kids that can move. Particularly on the DL. These last couple of "under the radar" kids have been on CWM's radar for months. Fast, athletic, teachable kids. Plenty of room to grow physically & mentally. And basically CWM made the move because they, and they will be a couple of others, are not so "under the radar" anymore. uat offer one a couple weeks ago and its a "committable" offer. CWM just likes these last couple of D-line commits better than some of the higher rated kids.

And AU will have a couple of top rated DL's and DE's sign next February. Going to get one DL next month. Could get a commit from a top DE anytime.

So in other words. Boom has this under control. And he isn't worred at all.

I wonder how much of the fact that many of these highly rated guys, many of whom we thought we were in it, if not leading, for, have committed elsewhere is because of Boom. I don't mean that they are committing elsewhere because they don't like Boom or think he's one and done at AU. I mean, I wonder how Boom rates these highly rated guys. Now, I understand that this question will immediately be open to the sour grapes charge; they're committing elsewhere because we didn't want them, and so on. But what if there's some truth to it and it's not an excuse? What if Boom isn't just going by stars and recruiting site evaluations? What if he wants to see the kids in action, in camp, get to know them and their personalities, and do his own evaluation?

I wonder whether Auburn coaches are as concerned as the fans who read the message boards.

I wonder whether Boom thinks CRG is a terrible coach who now can't even recruit and needs to be fired.

These are not questions we'll know the answer to, in all likelihood. But I'm looking forward to seeing how this all plays out, including how our D plays on the field.

I think there is a little of both on the CWM liking other kids and other school doing a great job recruiting. Lets take uga. I'm told CWM loves Tyler Clark but thinks JR is way overrated. And AU didn't fight all that hard for JR. CWM loves Brown and AU is putting on the full press.

I think there is a little of both on the CWM liking other kids and other school doing a great job recruiting. Lets take uga. I'm told CWM loves Tyler Clark but thinks JR is way overrated. And AU didn't fight all that hard for JR. CWM loves Brown and AU is putting on the full press.

Cool -- that makes total sense. Thanks, WDE!

Archived