2015 Preseason Practice - Day 9

RunInRed

SIAP, but this is why you don't read the scouting reports and then decide that a guy like Peyton Barber is "buried on the depth chart". Not saying things won't change, and I'm not throwing shade at Robinson- I beg y'all not to, either- but there's nothing ambiguous about Coach Horton's comments:

"Right now I would say that Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber have earned the right to play and so they're both going to play," running backs coach Tim Horton said. "Now, who is going to be in there first, I couldn't tell you to be honest. I don't know that's really important, but both of those guys have earned that right and they'll both play. They've both been very good."

Auburn is three weeks away from its season opener, but Robinson's fall on the depth chart is unexpected. The nation's No. 1 junior college running back was the favorite entering preseason camp, but has not yet stepped up and met the standard coaches have set inside and outside the meeting room.

"He had the worst start of those four initially, but he's starting to come on," Horton said. "I'm real pleased with the group and I think ultimately it'll be one of the strengths of our team."

Coaches have rarely mentioned Robinson's name following practices. Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee tabbed Thomas as the "most consistent" and "steadiest" running back in the rotation earlier this week.

Horton is "really pleased" with Robinson's effort in the last three to four practices, but said there's still room to make up in the running back race.

"There's a certain standard and professionalism we want our groups to perform at, whether that's being on time for a meeting or paying attention when you're not playing or whatever it might be," Horton said. "Some kids it's real easy for them, like [Kerryon Johnson], and some it probably hasn't been demanded of them in the past, but it is now."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/08/jovon_robinson_trails_2_player.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting, since it seems to me from day one most folks have proclaimed Robinson the man. Personally, he didn't show me much last year. Maybe h will figure it out.

On another note, and not pertaining to Auburn at all, snoop dogs son has allready quit the team.

SIAP, but this is why you don't read the scouting reports and then decide that a guy like Peyton Barber is "buried on the depth chart". Not saying things won't change, and I'm not throwing shade at Robinson- I beg y'all not to, either- but there's nothing ambiguous about Coach Horton's comments:

"Right now I would say that Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber have earned the right to play and so they're both going to play," running backs coach Tim Horton said. "Now, who is going to be in there first, I couldn't tell you to be honest. I don't know that's really important, but both of those guys have earned that right and they'll both play. They've both been very good."

Auburn is three weeks away from its season opener, but Robinson's fall on the depth chart is unexpected. The nation's No. 1 junior college running back was the favorite entering preseason camp, but has not yet stepped up and met the standard coaches have set inside and outside the meeting room.

"He had the worst start of those four initially, but he's starting to come on," Horton said. "I'm real pleased with the group and I think ultimately it'll be one of the strengths of our team."

Coaches have rarely mentioned Robinson's name following practices. Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee tabbed Thomas as the "most consistent" and "steadiest" running back in the rotation earlier this week.

Horton is "really pleased" with Robinson's effort in the last three to four practices, but said there's still room to make up in the running back race.

"There's a certain standard and professionalism we want our groups to perform at, whether that's being on time for a meeting or paying attention when you're not playing or whatever it might be," Horton said. "Some kids it's real easy for them, like [Kerryon Johnson], and some it probably hasn't been demanded of them in the past, but it is now."

http://www.al.com/au...s_2_player.html

Well, I guess you could take it one of two ways... Either be disappointed in JR or be excited for PB. Seems to be a lot on the PB bandwagon (EDIT: High on PB...with a nod to that McLoofus) and these are the kinds of things that happen in camp that give people chances.

I hear ya '72, but I don't know if I'd call it a bandwagon. A lot of folks have been very high on Barber from day 1 (and I was VERY high on Robinson when he originally signed with AU).

Barber probably isn't as gifted a ball carrier as Jovon, but I think he's close enough to win a job if he does the little things on the field- and the big things off the field- right. Actually argued that exact point before Coach made the comments above.

Not that I'm arguing with you now, '72, or anybody else for that matter. If a McLoofus runs his mouth in a forest and nobody hears him...

I hear ya '72, but I don't know if I'd call it a bandwagon. A lot of folks have been very high on Barber from day 1 (and I was VERY high on Robinson when he originally signed with AU).

Barber probably isn't as gifted a ball carrier as Jovon, but I think he's close enough to win a job if he does the little things on the field- and the big things off the field- right. Actually argued that exact point before Coach made the comments above.

Not that I'm arguing with you now, '72, or anybody else for that matter. If a McLoofus runs his mouth in a forest and nobody hears him...

What's a "Mcloofus"?

What's a "Mcloofus"?

It's a loudmouth jackarse on a message board who refers to himself in the third person.

What's a "Mcloofus"?

It's a loudmouth jackarse on a message board who refers to himself in the third person.

HAHAHA!!! Honestly, I'm not in disagreement with you at all. Maybe "bandwagon" was not the right word. I probably just should have said "high on PB" but then, that would just sound like me in the kitchen jamming my giant spoon into the jar of Jiff in the pantry.

I don't want ANY of our beloved AU players to fail and I would hate it for JR but I'm all for PB getting a honest chance to show what he can do come game day!

War Eagle Peyton!!

What's a "Mcloofus"?

HAHAHA!!! Honestly, I'm not in disagreement with you at all. Maybe "bandwagon" was not the right word. I probably just should have said "high on PB" but then, that would just sound like me in the kitchen jamming my giant spoon into the jar of Jiff in the pantry.

I don't want ANY of our beloved AU players to fail and I would hate it for JR but I'm all for PB getting a honest chance to show what he can do come game day!

War Eagle Peyton!!

So kids are calling the whacky tobaccy "PB" now? Learn something new every day. ;)

http://www.al.com/au...s_2_player.html

Exactly. Same thing I and very few others stated in another thread. I don't doubt Jovon's talent but Peyton's been in the system for 2 solid years. A good RB that's a mix of Roc and Jovon. I know i've been on the Peyton bandwagon before camp started. All 3 are good though.

The day people call him Jovon instead of Javon I'll be happy :P

Haha. My bad. He'll probably be happy as well. I'm sure he's getting on campus as well.

Javon is better than Jovan, which I've seen at times, but Jovon is preferable.

It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Robinson didn't come to sit the bench. If he finds himself jammed behind Thomas and Barber, I won't be surprised or upset if he makes the Brandon Jacobs move for playing time. We're a long way from that, but it's on the table if he's not getting consistent touches (Jacobs had 74 touches, which wasn't enough for him and likely won't be enough for Robinson either).

I'm in no way suggesting that Jovon is thinking transfer or that we should just give him the job to appease him. I'm just noting the similarity: two RBs that have been in the system with a top JUCO transfer that can't steal carries from those mega-talents.

Anyway, the assessment by Coach Horton makes me feel very confident in our running back situation. Jovon Robinson is an incredible talent. If he can't get carries because of how good two other guys look, then I'd say running back is a position of strength for the entire team.

Anyway, the assessment by Coach Horton makes me feel very confident in our running back situation. Jovon Robinson is an incredible talent. If he can't get carries because of how good two other guys look, then I'd say running back is a position of strength for the entire team.

This is the point I try to make every time somebody gets upset about their favorite shiny new 5* not topping the depth chart.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/08/jovon_robinson_trails_2_player.html

Yeah, Roc becoming #1 was a blinding light as soon as the spring game kicked off and just got brighter since then. Barber starting over Jovon would be pretty mind blowing

Yeah, Roc becoming #1 was a blinding light as soon as the spring game kicked off and just got brighter since then. Barber starting over Jovon would be pretty mind blowing

I'm not writing Robinson off yet. This coaching staff uses the press like Nick does. To send messages to individual players. Sounds like JR got the message late, but is coming around. Time will tell.

Kenny Irons says hello. J Robinson may never see the field because Roc and Peyton Barber are just that much better (based on historically inaccurate practice reports), but Kenny Irons hardly saw the field in game 1 2005.

wde

I stand corrected on my assessment of Barber. At least for now as things could still change before game day.

I stand corrected on my assessment of Barber. At least for now as things could still change before game day.

Takes a man to admit when he's wrong. Things could EASILY change over the next couple weeks, but I'm not shocked in the least that Barber is competing. The guy is a very talented back.

Is it just me or is there a different intensity this year with the whole team? I'm used to seeing people jogging around like they are learning a play for the first time. This year it looks as though everyone is very focused and giving 110 percent in all drills. If so, expect greatness.

From what I read it sounds as if Robinson was late for a meeting or didn't study film the way he supposed to. Writing him off now wouldn't be smart at all. Doesn't even sound like he's behind as far as performance

Is it just me or is there a different intensity this year with the whole team? I'm used to seeing people jogging around like they are learning a play for the first time. This year it looks as though everyone is very focused and giving 110 percent in all drills. If so, expect greatness.

What is your definition of "greatness"? IMO, if we win the SEC Championship then our football team would have achieved very good to close to great status. If we win the National Championship then greatness will be achieved.

wde

I'm certainly not writing Jovon off but more so acknowledge that PB is a threat more than some initially thought. I wasn't simply willing to hand him the job day 1 due to the hype.

From what I read it sounds as if Robinson was late for a meeting or didn't study film the way he supposed to. Writing him off now wouldn't be smart at all. Doesn't even sound like he's behind as far as performance

I think this team has probably been experiencing some growing pains due to the paradigm shift that has taken place of having to earn your place everyday. This generation, and athletes in particular, are extremely entitled and used to being handed things merely because they exist. They're learning the meaning of "work, hard work."

well...now what i've been wanting to happen seems most likely to happen..Roc is the #1 back! I wanna see the Roc from his highlight tapes Running Over Competitors!!!

Archived