How do Gus and Rhett teach their QBs?

thaitopher

Does anyone remember the issue of cgm not letting his qb's work with other/outside quarterback coaches? Many thought it was odd at the time. Here's a link as a refresher.

http://bleacherrepor...eorge-whitfield

Didn't make sense at the time to me, but it's Gus' choice to make. Gus clearly has a lot of confidence in his QB program.

Did you read the comment section following the article?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As soon as I saw Nick Marshall was only marginally better as a passer from 2013 to 2014 I thought it was a mistake to not let him work with Whitfield. I mean what the hell is wrong with getting additional coaching to improve one's game during a time where coaches can't coach the players? It showed initiative by NM but it was shot down. I can't agree with that. JMO

*Edit: the article summed it up perfectly. It was a low-risk high reward situation and Gus opted against it.

As soon as I saw Nick Marshall was only marginally better as a passer from 2013 to 2014 I thought it was a mistake to not let him work with Whitfield. I mean what the hell is wrong with getting additional coaching to improve one's game during a time where coaches can't coach the players? It showed initiative by NM but it was shot down. I can't agree with that. JMO

*Edit: the article summed it up perfectly. It was a low-risk high reward situation and Gus opted against it.

What if Whitfield tells Marshall that Gus is teaching him wrong? What if Marshall spent all offseason working on getting to the 4th progression,when Gus needs him to work on the zone read?

Im going to believe in our coaches until they are no longer on the payroll.

This is a very strange way of thinking and I've never understood it. Why not believe in them after they've given you reason to and until they give you reason not to?

Well slipadeedoodah, in the game you do what your coach tells you. But working on fundamentals would not have hurt NM at all IMO. He would've been getting professional training as opposed to throwing routes to Duke and Marcus Davis in his mother's yard in Georgia.

Plus, NM owned the zone read and that was the strength of his game. If he needed to work on anything it was getting to his 4th progression and intermediate accuracy.

Compiling the totals from the pass-offenses at Auburn from 1993, 1994, 1995, 2004 and 2005, gives an overall pass-rating of 139.8. Auburn had solid quarterback play during those 5 seasons.

Malzahn's compiled pass-rating from 2006-2015 is currently 152.6,

Compiling the totals from the pass-offenses at Auburn from 1993, 1994, 1995, 2004 and 2005, gives an overall pass-rating of 139.8. Auburn had solid quarterback play during those 5 seasons.

How much of this do you attribute to his offense and how much is attributed to the technical competence of his QBs?

How much of this do you attribute to his offense and how much is attributed to the technical competence of his QBs?

Personally it doesn't matter to me. I simply want an efficient pass-offense mixed in with a strong running game. I would image Florida fans still see Tim Tebow as one of their best QB's in school history. His struggles in the NFL and questions posed about his development doesn't change the fact he won the Heisman and won a national title as a Gator. I do know that Malzahn is 80-11 when his pass-offense has a rating of 127 or better and 13-20, when they don't. I also know that he reaches that mark (127) in nearly 3/4 of the games played, which illustrates consistency.

Personally it doesn't matter to me. I simply want an efficient pass-offense mixed in with a strong running game. I would image Florida fans still see Tim Tebow as one of their best QB's in school history. His struggles in the NFL and questions posed about his development doesn't change the fact he won the Heisman and won a national title as a Gator. I do know that Malzahn is 80-11 when his pass-offense has a rating of 127 or better and 13-20, when they don't. I also know that he reaches that mark (127) in nearly 3/4 of the games played, which illustrates consistency.

Exactly, Stat. I'm happy if Gus is getting results from the QB's he has recruited to fit his system.

Exactly, Stat. I'm happy if Gus is getting results from the QB's he has recruited to fit his system.

But if a team has schemed well against our offense, wouldn't you want the QB to be able to make some plays on his own (Think Cam in 2010). Running an offense(or defense) that keeps opponents on their heels is awesome but I also want fundamentally sound players executing the schemes.

I think it will pay dividends down the road in recruiting if our players leave AU as something more than just cogs in a machine, who are unable to succeed in other schemes due to a lack of basic fundamentals.

But if a team has schemed well against our offense, wouldn't you want the QB to be able to make some plays on his own (Think Cam in 2010). Running an offense(or defense) that keeps opponents on their heels is awesome but I also want fundamentally sound players executing the schemes.

I think it will pay dividends down the road in recruiting if our players leave AU as something more than just cogs in a machine, who are unable to succeed in other schemes due to a lack of basic fundamentals.

We can play the "what if" game all day and debate endlessly. I can't speak for anyone else on this forum, but I have no evidence the quarterbacks are being under coached or poorly coached. I tend to stay away from debates on topics I cannot support with FACTS. I can make assumptions all day long but now we are talking about speculation and opinions. I do know the end result has been an average ranking of #19 nationally in pass-efficiency offense from 2007-2014 and an average national ranking of No. 10 in 6 of his last 7 seasons.

I also know that coaches have been limited by the NCAA in the time allotted to meeting with the players, compared to the time allotted 10-15 years ago. With this in mind, system oriented offenses looks like the route most offensive coaches are taking. I have no doubt if there was more time available, there would be more time spent to individual preparation.

We can play the "what if" game all day and debate endlessly. I can't speak for anyone else on this forum, but I have no evidence the quarterbacks are being under coached or poorly coached. I tend to stay away from debates on topics I cannot support with FACTS. I can make assumptions all day long but now we are talking about speculation and opinions. I do know the end result has been an average ranking of #19 nationally in pass-efficiency offense from 2007-2014 and an average national ranking of No. 10 in 6 of his last 7 seasons.

I also know that coaches have been limited by the NCAA in the time allotted to meeting with the players, compared to the time allotted 10-15 years ago. With this in mind, system oriented offenses looks like the route most offensive coaches are taking. I have no doubt if there was more time available, there would be more time spent to individual preparation.

I simply raised a question... Didn't realize we were playing the "what if game". The FACT remains that fundamentally sound players are going to be more successful at the next level, thus providing our coaches with more recruiting ammunition.

Thanks Stat! Much needed, very valuable info

I simply raised a question... Didn't realize we were playing the "what if game". The FACT remains that fundamentally sound players are going to be more successful at the next level, thus providing our coaches with more recruiting ammunition.

The "what if game" was directed at all the assumptions made in this entire thread. The point or intent of this thread would not have been made if Jeremy Johnson was not struggling. Some will assume or suggest the reason why Johnson is struggling is because of "coaching". It could be but I have no way of knowing. I have my opinions but I rarely toss opinions out on a public forum unless I'm certain of what I am posting. We all know Johnson has struggled but there are other aspects of the offense that have issues. I prefer to wait to see the end product before I start making assumptions that something is critically wrong. NOT SAYING THAT I AM RIGHT, but from MY own past experience, it is never good to label anything or anyone this early into the season.

The "what if game" was directed at all the assumptions made in this entire thread. The point or intent of this thread would not have been made if Jeremy Johnson was not struggling. Some will assume or suggest the reason why Johnson is struggling is because of "coaching". It could be but I have no way of knowing. I have my opinions but I rarely toss opinions out on a public forum unless I'm certain of what I am posting. We all know Johnson has struggled but there are other aspects of the offense that have issues. I prefer to wait to see the end product before I start making assumptions that something is critically wrong. NOT SAYING THAT I AM RIGHT, but from MY own past experience, it is never good to label anything or anyone this early into the season.

Well said and much needed in this thread, thanks again!

What do you consider to be the "end product" ?

I very much appreciate your thoughtful analysis.

• 4 months later...

QBs are given a progression on the play side and then a tag on the backside, like a post route. Some plays rely on the defender. If the corner sits, throw over his head to the corner route. If he bails, through the underneath hitch or stop route. Some routes are drawn with the progression of " take a peak to the deep or go route, then drop to the intermediate to drop off route. QBs are often taught on the quick stuff, to make the throw with the softest corner an the shortest throw. Most QBs get away with throwing in to tight windows in HS simply because of their arm strength and facing lesser talent. Hard habit to break! Some simply get it in their head when they break the huddle and will throw it to the guy that catches it the most consistent.

Wonder how JF-III will like being coached by Malzahn and Lashlee since it was Dameyune who recruited him and JF-III really liked Dameyune a lot.

QBs are given a progression on the play side and then a tag on the backside, like a post route. Some plays rely on the defender. If the corner sits, throw over his head to the corner route. If he bails, through the underneath hitch or stop route. Some routes are drawn with the progression of " take a peak to the deep or go route, then drop to the intermediate to drop off route. QBs are often taught on the quick stuff, to make the throw with the softest corner an the shortest throw. Most QBs get away with throwing in to tight windows in HS simply because of their arm strength and facing lesser talent. Hard habit to break! Some simply get it in their head when they break the huddle and will throw it to the guy that catches it the most consistent.

unfortunately i don't think this is being taught, they think the 1st read is the option and by running soft practices the 1st read is always open, therefore the check downs are not timed out or understood because the ab's are not prepped well. The QB's that have succeeded have been able to make something off of a terrible play call in the last 3 years.

Archived