Four Auburn players arrested

TitanTiger

You get a scholarship, you get to play ball in exchange for committing to follow the team and university rules (go to class, practice...). Its voluntary contractual exchange. It's agreed upon up front. Whether narcotics laws should be enforced or not is irrelevant. Whether Alabama is more backward than Oregon is irrelevant (ha its most certainly not).

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thing it was nobody we were counting on. :-\

Exactly! >:( PUFF...PUFF..PASS

That's what I was about to add, if it's there and no one claims it, then everyone is charged.

Ugh. Well glad they decided to stick together. It's all about teamwork. ? SMH.

While I am glad they weren't selling it, I am still disappointed as all eyes had been on Bama & Ole Miss.

COUNT ON ME

.to make sure everyone gets charged? lol

I am at least having a good time following this thread ha

Regardless of your feelings on the issue surrounding the legality of marijuana, the fact is these guys broke known rules. What our society is lacking is discipline. These guys are given enormous opportunity simply because they play sports. They should follow the expectations set for them, which should include not breaking any laws and getting arrested. If they can't follow those rules, there are plenty of kids who would love the opportunity they were given. End of story in my book. If these were Alabama players or even us at our jobs we would not be afforded the benefit of the doubt by those on this board so I don't think our own do either. We need to hold them accountable to build them into better men when they leave Auburn, not make excuses for them.

I heard a guy on the radio the other day that was college and professional athlete. He had daughters and they were D1 athletes. He was saying how he told them all that by going to school and playing a D1 sport they were forfeiting some of the things that other students get to do. Their free time would be gone, they had to make sacrifices about what they did and who they hung out with. They were not going to be regular students. I thought it was an interesting take. Wish more student athletes felt that way.

Exactly. Some people cannot afford to college and have to work their way through it to pay for it. They give up things other students get to do. For these kids to have the opportunities they get which are enormously greater than any other regular student, they are expected to adhere to a certain set of standards and rules. The people that say to let it slide because we have to win games are advocating doing these kids a disservice that will likely affect them far beyond their years at Auburn, and to the poster that tried to blame the police, I have absolutely words for that line of thinking.

That's what I was about to add, if it's there and no one claims it, then everyone is charged.

Ugh. Well glad they decided to stick together. It's all about teamwork. �� SMH.

While I am glad they weren't selling it, I am still disappointed as all eyes had been on Bama & Ole Miss.

Nobody will give a rat's ass about this other than al.com and your bammer friends. Also, it's early May. If more of this happens over the summer or if anything happens in, say, mid August, then maybe it will be of consequence.

And if losing any of these guys for one half of football is the difference between losing or winning the Clemson game, then I will be absolutely shocked.

Edit: Meant to add that recruiting violations at Ole Miss won't go away. This will. (Yet another of bama's blatant infractions never even made it above water because bama.)

Don't suspend Byron and the two Davises at all

There's a certain point where I'm willing to just mark them up as first offenders and let them play

We have to win games

If we have a subpar season and people are arguing whether or not Gus should keep his job nobody will say BUT GUS HANDLED THE DISCIPLINE CORRECTLY as an argument to keep him around.

That being said, he's gotta discipline them somehow. A half would suffice but if he doesn't then a Chizik losing the team scenario could be imminent. These things can snowball.

I think the auburn fan base tends to grossly overrate the impact of isolated incidents. The players do their damnedest to prove these things don't affect their style of play much. The entire culture during Chizik's tenure was substantially worse than just marijuana. Outside of Duke, there's been no actual serious cases.

I'm pretty sure a first time marijuana misdemeanor getting more hard practice and maybe not starting first drive in the game would be fine with everyone

Clemson game is going to be great!

This is why you schedule a cupcake opponent week one. You're going to inevitably have arrests during the offseason. Now what do you do? Suspend the four in a pivotal game against Clemson?

If we're going by Gus's track record it would be for the 1st half? I don't think they should see anything beyond missing the Clemson game even if that. However, if Gus decides to employ a zero tolerance policy after this it would be hard to blame him for doing so. Maybe it just seems this way but it seems like we lead the way for having players getting popped for weed. I know we don't in regards to arrests but it would be interesting to see the breakdown regards players and weed issues.

Not that it's any excuse, but sooner or later we're going to have to realize as a society that this stuff inevitably going to be legal.

if so, i wish it would go ahead and happen. this attitude towards this does not help youths, athletes or not. I help coach a 11-12 baseball team. we try to teach the kids the game to develop what talent they may have and try to win games but it all starts with trying to mold attitude and character. it sets the wrong precedent to continue to glaze over this behavior for college and pro athletes that young kids idolize. when 99% of working adults in the real world get fired from almost any job for using mj. with all that said we got to have Carlton Davis on the field to have a chance to beat Clemson. Maybe his charges can get dropped somehow.

Gus knows he won't be able to compete if he enforces a true zero tolerance policy. He'll have no kids left on the team and all the talented kids will commit elsewhere because a vast majority of them smoke.

Kids these days are doing much harder drugs at a young age than when we were younger. Marijuana is the new alcohol.

Don't suspend Byron and the two Davises at all

There's a certain point where I'm willing to just mark them up as first offenders and let them play

We have to win games

If we have a subpar season and people are arguing whether or not Gus should keep his job nobody will say BUT GUS HANDLED THE DISCIPLINE CORRECTLY as an argument to keep him around.

That being said, he's gotta discipline them somehow. A half would suffice but if he doesn't then a Chizik losing the team scenario could be imminent. These things can snowball.

I think the auburn fan base tends to grossly overrate the impact of isolated incidents. The players do their damnedest to prove these things don't affect their style of play much. The entire culture during Chizik's tenure was substantially worse than just marijuana. Outside of Duke, there's been no actual serious cases.

I'm pretty sure a first time marijuana misdemeanor getting more hard practice and maybe not starting first drive in the game would be fine with everyone

I don't think this is a big deal, but would rather be on the side of caution. Sit em for a half, let the perception be out there that we disciplined them. Even if it just eliminates the option of opposing coaches going into recruit's living rooms saying "Why would you want to send your son somewhere where there is no discipline" I think it's worth it. Maybe I'm paranoid (no pun intended) from the Chizik disaster.

Just make them run stadiums until they throw up and call it a day. Everyone on the team smokes, they were just too dumb and got caught with it. It's BS.

Yep, against the law. They got caught. Against teams rules. They got caught, Punish now, run those butts, do something. Get the simple BS over with.

The laws do need to change and if it wasn't for backwards, Alabama would have no direction at all.

Regardless of your feelings on the issue surrounding the legality of marijuana, the fact is these guys broke known rules. What our society is lacking is discipline. These guys are given enormous opportunity simply because they play sports. They should follow the expectations set for them, which should include not breaking any laws and getting arrested. If they can't follow those rules, there are plenty of kids who would love the opportunity they were given. End of story in my book. If these were Alabama players or even us at our jobs we would not be afforded the benefit of the doubt by those on this board so I don't think our own do either. We need to hold them accountable to build them into better men when they leave Auburn, not make excuses for them.

I heard a guy on the radio the other day that was college and professional athlete. He had daughters and they were D1 athletes. He was saying how he told them all that by going to school and playing a D1 sport they were forfeiting some of the things that other students get to do. Their free time would be gone, they had to make sacrifices about what they did and who they hung out with. They were not going to be regular students. I thought it was an interesting take. Wish more student athletes felt that way.

Exactly. Some people cannot afford to college and have to work their way through it to pay for it. They give up things other students get to do. For these kids to have the opportunities they get which are enormously greater than any other regular student, they are expected to adhere to a certain set of standards and rules. The people that say to let it slide because we have to win games are advocating doing these kids a disservice that will likely affect them far beyond their years at Auburn, and to the poster that tried to blame the police, I have absolutely words for that line of thinking.

My pm is open, and I didn't blame the police for their (their meaning the players) stupidity. I said the police in auburn, who I've had personal dealings with, and have personally witnessed harass and bully kids because instead of looking out for their best interests, they do what they can to make money off of them. Traffic tickets are the absolute worst. Just google the officer fired for speaking out against the required quotas, officers are suppose to have for engagements and ticket writings. They create situations to entrap people, again I've witnessed this.

Maybe it just seems this way but it seems like we lead the way for having players getting popped for weed. I know we don't in regards to arrests but it would be interesting to see the breakdown regards players and weed issues.

One or two simple possession busts a year is really not bad. Not to sound like Mark Richt-era leg humpers, but the issue might be as much about APD- as the recent graduate speculated earlier speculated- as it is about discipline in the program.

when 99% of working adults in the real world get fired from almost any job for using mj.

I'd be surprised if 25% of companies regularly or even randomly test.

Gus knows he won't be able to compete if he enforces a true zero tolerance policy. He'll have no kids left on the team and all the talented kids will commit elsewhere because a vast majority of them smoke.

Kids these days are doing much harder drugs at a young age than when we were younger. Marijuana is the new alcohol.

The pill's are what's killing the brain cells these days. Weed is recreational like alcohol - the pills these kids pop on a daily basis are doing way more damage and are more addictive than anything in a joint.

There are specific disciplinary steps required by the university rules that govern athletics. I haven't looked at the rules in awhile, but I do know that the discipline issued is based on circumstances and whether the athlete has had a prior drug-related issue. Of course, CGM has his own team rules that come into play.

I don't think it is a done deal that all of them sit all or a portion of the first game, but if any of them have had prior issues (public or not), he couple sit longer than that.

Maybe it just seems this way but it seems like we lead the way for having players getting popped for weed. I know we don't in regards to arrests but it would be interesting to see the breakdown regards players and weed issues.

One or two simple possession busts a year is really not bad. Not to sound like Mark Richt-era leg humpers, but the issue might be as much about APD- as the recent graduate speculated earlier speculated- as it is about discipline in the program.

when 99% of working adults in the real world get fired from almost any job for using mj.

all companies i know of test pre-employment. all also test upon an at work injury. many have recently started random testing.

Yep, against the law. They got caught. Against teams rules. They got caught, Punish now, run those butts, do something. Get the simple BS over with.

The laws do need to change and if it wasn't for backwards, Alabama would have no direction at all.

Is that an Albert King reference? Man, now I want to put on some blues and fire up a... oh wait, wrong forum.

Is that an Albert King reference? Man, now I want to put on some blues and fire up a... oh wait, wrong forum.

Born under a bad state....errrrr.......sign.

Yes, many football players at the majority of the D1 powerhouses smoke weed.

But, it is illegal. We should not make excuses for these kids. IT IS ILLEGAL. They should abide by the rules or suffer consequences. Even if it was illegal to, say, drive a car, I would expect these kids to follow the rules. No one is above the law and it is time these kids learn that. No, I don't want them kicked off and I hate it may hurt our chances in the opener. But, Gus has to draw the line somewhere.

Only 4 states have legalized weed for recreational use. Alabama is the heart of the bible belt and will always have extreme conservative views. But we are no different than most every other state with regards to recreational weed use.

all companies i know of test pre-employment. all also test upon an at work injury. many have recently started random testing.

Work injury is a workers comp/insurance thing. Pre-employment is somewhat common, if less and less so every year, but that's not testing employees. And we probably work in different industries. I can't remember the last time anybody I know got tested after getting hired.

I went back and checked. different sources vary but i saw anywhere from 57-77 percent. been trending down nationally but in local companies i am aware of they got more strict especially in 2008 when they were looking to downsize.

Archived