PM: Gus close to accepting changes to stay (merged threads)

aubiefifty

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I don't understand this one bit. If I'm Gus Malzahn, what incentive is there to accept a lower buyout? Especially when the negotiations involve hamstringing my ability to coach and knowing that this is a ploy to fire me down the road? And what incentive is there to recruit and produce next year?

I sincerely hope this story is BS. Take Malzahn out of the equation. What would it say about a program that doesn't honor its contracts and would risk tanking its flagship program in order to save a few million dollars and win a pissing contest?

That'd be worse than any punishment the NCAA could levy...

Pay the man what you've agree to pay him and cut bait, or, stand behind the man 100% and get out of the way. But if everything this story reports is true and comes to fruition, we can kiss Auburn Football goodbye. Maybe we could come back one day playing at the FCS level... 

Absolutely correct. This just makes no sense. If true, I can't decide who's the dumbest. Leath for thinking this is a viable option, or Gus for even considering it. On a brighter side, tickets will be cheap, and easy to come by for several years if you want to watch some division 3 football.

Good Lord!

I spent a little bit of time in that Q and A session. So Brandon is saying that it isn’t about the money? That Gus believes this is the best place for him to win a NC? He isn’t wrong but if true, this tell me Gus is a dang fool and Jimmy Sexton truly is a wizard. He was never going to Arkansas PERIOD. Now , he has went against Jimmy’s hard work of setting him up , by betting on himself, once again.

It just gets weirded. Of course, not yet confirmed. The only logic I can find in this is Gus' ego and extreme pride for why he would agree to it.

I bet they told him, agree to a lesser buyout or you're fired. Gus is so confident that he will turn it around and determined to do so that he agreed. I think HE thinks this time next year we'll be back in love with him after a 10+ win season. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I spent a little bit of time in that Q and A session. So Brandon is saying that it isn’t about the money? That Gus believes this is the best place for him to win a NC? He isn’t wrong but if true, this tell me Gus is a dang fool and Jimmy Sexton truly is a wizard. He was never going to Arkansas PERIOD. Now , he has went against Jimmy’s hard work of setting him up , by betting on himself, once again.

What does he care? He's never going to be poor 

Just now, ToomersRevenge said:

What does he care? He's never going to be poor 

He doesn’t that’s the point. This idea that cares for AU is a farce. It’s about him. He is set out to prove any and everybody wrong no matter how restraint is arms our. 

12 minutes ago, Kamikazi18627 said:

Why would Gus agree to any changes in his contract? He has Auburn by the balls. The ball is in his court. Screw you, I'm not changing anything. Fire me, I'll take my 32 mill and run.

There is no reason for him to do it. The fans are mad about this, I get it. But they need to direct their anger at the PTB that agreed to it and signed it. No matter what the PTB does, the football program has got to move on.

We have all seen the schedule for next year. 7 wins is probably the ceiling.

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

It just gets weirded. Of course, not yet confirmed. The only logic I can find in this is Gus' ego and extreme pride for why he would agree to it.

I bet they told him, agree to a lesser buyout or you're fired. Gus is so confident that he will turn it around and determined to do so that he agreed. I think HE thinks this time next year we'll be back in love with him after a 10+ win season. 

I think you are right.  Gus is so stubborn, for him, it is better to accept this deal and try and make it work than admit he failed.

I don't think the dude cares about money that much. I honestly don't. Which makes his extension last year all the more bizarre. He is competitive and stubborn and his one greatest desire is probably shutting up his critics. Through that light, I can at least understand why he would reduce his buyout to stay and keep coaching.

Just now, AUght2win said:

I don't think the dude cares about money that much. I honestly don't. Which makes his extension last year all the more bizarre. He is competitive and stubborn and his one greatest desire is probably shutting up his critics. Through that light, I can at least understand why he would sign it.

He doesn't and for the extension that was his agent Sexton doing his job to make money

Lots of folks are throwing stones at Gus over this, but what leaders in their right mind would do anything right now but fire him? We have to have the dumbest and most inept leadership of any University in the Power 5, from the President, to the AD, to the BOT,  and any other shot callers in this episode. 

5 minutes ago, MCPeePants said:

The rumors about TU not signing off on it and nullifying the contract could actually be liable?

This whole episode of As the Plains Turn is strange, strange, strange.

And as noted somewhere else, I think it would be horrible for the university to try and find a loophole that would reduce Malzahns buyout. He may not be a great coach but he’s always represented the university well. The fact he can’t coach doesn’t make him a bad guy. I sincerely hope they honor his buyout if it comes down to this.

2 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

And as noted somewhere else, I think it would be horrible for the university to try and find a loophole that would reduce Malzahns buyout. He may not be a great coach but he’s always represented the university well. The fact he can’t coach doesn’t make him a bad guy. I sincerely hope they honor his buyout if it comes down to this.

I agree 100%.

Archived