Men vs. Murray State

WarTiger

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To me, after watching them today, this is how we need to run the line ups going forward.

Starters

1: Harper

2: Doughty

3: Dunbar until Purifoy is in game shape

4: Chuma

5: Wiley

2nd group

1. McCormick

2. BB

3. Purifoy until he gets in game shape

4. AMac

5. Spencer

Bird you are probably the most popular guy on here but I don't know if even you will be able to withstand the Brown stuff. And gene DEFINITELY is going to start stalking you now 😓

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

How many people can make up for a 5 star fringe NBA talent in their first 20 games 

Well I wish you would've said that when I was being attacked at all angles when I said I doubt it

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To me, after watching them today, this is how we need to run the line ups going forward.

Starters

1: Harper

2: Doughty

3: Dunbar until Purifoy is in game shape

4: Chuma

5: Wiley

2nd group

1. McCormick

2. BB

3. Purifoy until he gets in game shape

4. AMac

5. Spencer

Agreed except would rather have Bryce at the 2. He’ll snap out of that funk. Apparently he’s had the flu since Wednesday morning but has roughed out a few games 

Just now, cole256 said:

Bird you are probably the most popular guy on here but I don't know if even you will be able to withstand the Brown stuff. And gene DEFINITELY is going to start stalking you now 😓

source.gif

The thing that frustrated me the most was that we’d create an opportunity for a turnover(steal, block, etc.) and it’d fall right back in their hands on their side of the court and ultimately lead to points. Dunno if that’s just bad luck or what.

And the lob pass. We looked downright silly letting so many of those go through. 

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well I wish you would've said that when I was being attacked at all angles when I said I doubt it

i thought you would be wrong based on what stephen hooks had said on the scout forum (or whatever its called)....you were dead on, although doughty does bring a nice game at times

1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Agreed except would rather have Bryce at the 2. He’ll snap out of that funk. Apparently he’s had the flu since Wednesday morning but has roughed out a few games 

But having him on the 2nd line allows for much less of a drop off when the starters begin to their rotations. It also covers BB's defensive deficiency of staying in front of quicker guards.  BB does a good job funneling to rim protectors rather than staying in front.  Playing with AMac and Ho would amplify that tendency.

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Would you say a lot of those threes have not been contested? Because I would say differently. It just seems like each team the past 3 games that we’ve played has had a guy get real hot against us. Their guy who had shot 21% from 3 on the year made 5 threes. I really doubt other teams had defended him so well and all the sudden he hit them because we didn’t guard him as well. Sometimes, you give guys that shot when they haven’t lit it up from 3, and they hit a few, so then you contest more. The guy hit some contested threes. He got hot. I would certainly call that a little luck on their part.

Some were contested but that's not exactly good D. The best D is making them take a dribble and move to get the shot off. This particular guy shot 3/5 a game or two ago. Look at how Brown and Harper been shooting lately, their percentage the last few games has to be trash that doesn't mean you let them shoot and if they do shoot they are lucky they hit. If every game a guy is getting hot and torching us then yeah that has to say something about us. If you actually go look just about every game one of the teams guards are having a very good game against us....but it's pretty arrogant game after game saying oh they was lucky they played their best game against us because we're us....I'm trying to tell you guys nobody is looking at Auburn's backcourt and is scared or thinking I'm not going to be able to score against these guys......teams are licking their chops knowing they are going to score. Hell I'd score double digits against them myself and I haven't played since April

6 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

i thought you would be wrong based on what stephen hooks had said on the scout forum (or whatever its called)....you were dead on, although doughty does bring a nice game at times

He seems to be coming along. He looks to be a great complementary piece. He has to do it in the big lights, I'd actually like him at 2 more. I think he gets overwhelmed at 3. The duke game I felt sorry for him

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He seems to be coming along. He looks to be a great complementary piece. He has to do it in the big lights, I'd actually like him at 2 more. I think he gets overwhelmed at 3. The duke game I felt sorry for him

McCormick has been coming on too. Him playing with confidence is fun to see.  He's very scrappy

20 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Oh there is so much I could say

Mccormick making the jump from Lee College to AU is special.  If you know anything about Lee, it is a Church of God College where people go mainly to get Church degrees....  When i went to my church college in 1978 there in Cleveland ( 2 year college) we played them in intramural basketball .  So we are talking about playing in front of a few thousand in some venues....

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

If chumma would step up and take this team I'd be a happy man

Showed a few flashes, but man you are correct with that.  Not saying he is there but reminds me a little of Durant in college.  They seem to have a similar shot, but notice it more when Okeke does attack the rim.  Like you said, he has the skill set and good control, just need the ruthless aggression to take over in a game. 

Didn't get to watch the game live because I had to work this afternoon but just watched the recording and I have to say I'm very impressed with McCormick in the last few games. I feel like he's getting his confidence and that's going to be huge when it comes to SEC play. Also, glad to see Brown break out his 2 game funk.

Think we’ll be playing a lot better in conference play and wouldn’t doubt being top 3 in the conference once the dust settles. When we’re clicking on all cylinders there aren’t a lot of teams that can handle us. This is a very good team with a couple of fixable tendencies. We’ll be fine.

17 minutes ago, lost said:

Best lineup no doubt now is

Harper

Brown

chuma

wiley

Doughty

Except they don't play the entire game. Which means you have a 2nd line that needs to either maintain, extend, or close.  To me, there needs to be better balance to the lines than the line up you suggested.

Manu Ginobli was a all-star that is a sure fire 1st ballot Hall of famer. He did it coming off the bench for most of his career. Coming off the bench doesn't mean you can't start, it just means you can help the team more off the bench.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Except they don't play the entire game. Which means you have a 2nd line that needs to either maintain, extend, or close.  To me, there needs to be better balance to the lines than the line up you suggested.

Manu Ginobli was a all-star that is a sure fire 1st ballot Hall of famer. He did it coming off the bench for most of his career. Coming off the bench doesn't mean you can't start, it just means you can help the team more off the bench.

I understand now what ya'll are saying now...  How do you make the decision WHICH player(s) and what combinations work best?  Wiley seems now to have made the connection and the rust is gone.  His hands are getting better so he can take AMC's place as a starter 

49 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You’ve made a good point in this thread. You said it replying to my quoting you earlier, but it’s a good point. Starters should not necessarily be your 5 best. It’s all about rotation, and having the ability to substitute into good lineups throughout the game.

13 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

You’ve made a good point in this thread. You said it replying to my quoting you earlier, but it’s a good point. Starters should not necessarily be your 5 best. It’s all about rotation, and having the ability to substitute into good lineups throughout the game.

Exactly and by doing so you can force matchups that better benefit your team

50 minutes ago, lost said:

I understand now what ya'll are saying now...  How do you make the decision WHICH player(s) and what combinations work best?  Wiley seems now to have made the connection and the rust is gone.  His hands are getting better so he can take AMC's place as a starter 

You need to be able to balance strengths and mitigate or cover deficiencies

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You need to be able to balance strengths and mitigate or cover deficiencies

Football and Basketball?? What can’t you do Bird?

Archived