2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

On 1/24/2019 at 5:00 PM, toddc said:

I will need to do more checking on him, but here’s the article! Bleacher, so “consider the source”.

La'Michael Pettway, Arkansas Wide Receiver

6 OF 10

Wesley Hitt/Getty Images

The 2018 season was forgettable for the Arkansas Razorbacks and first-year coach Chad Morris, as they won just two games and got dominated by North Texas.

What followed that 2-10 campaign is even more alarming, as 10 players have left the program. With a huge, talented recruiting class coming in, it may not be such a bad idea to replace some of the guys from the old regime.

One of the biggest losses, though, is leading receiver La'Michael Pettway, who won't play for the Hogs in 2019, even though they're getting transfer Ben Hicks to come over and throw passes to what looks like a good young stable of receivers.

Pettway finished 2018 with 30 catches for 499 yards and four touchdowns, but the former Arkansas high school standout will leave. So, where will he land?

Potential destinations haven't surfaced yet, but Pettway is an Alabama native despite playing his high school ball in Arkansas. With the ties Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has to that state, is it possible Pettway will return to it?

He doesn't appear to be in a hurry to make a decision, and while there are any number of places that would love to have him, it's a natural connection for him to head to the Plains and play for AU.

It would be a big deal for the Tigers, who will be breaking in a new quarterback after Jarrett Stidham bolted to the NFL draft. Will the lack of an established signal-caller deter Pettway from making that leap? It's possible, but we'll roll with the Tigers.

Prediction: Auburn

Keith says he is OVing AU this weekend. I still want to learn a bit more about him before creating a thread for him.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 5:00 PM, toddc said:

I will need to do more checking on him, but here’s the article! Bleacher, so “consider the source”.

La'Michael Pettway, Arkansas Wide Receiver

6 OF 10

Wesley Hitt/Getty Images

The 2018 season was forgettable for the Arkansas Razorbacks and first-year coach Chad Morris, as they won just two games and got dominated by North Texas.

What followed that 2-10 campaign is even more alarming, as 10 players have left the program. With a huge, talented recruiting class coming in, it may not be such a bad idea to replace some of the guys from the old regime.

One of the biggest losses, though, is leading receiver La'Michael Pettway, who won't play for the Hogs in 2019, even though they're getting transfer Ben Hicks to come over and throw passes to what looks like a good young stable of receivers.

Pettway finished 2018 with 30 catches for 499 yards and four touchdowns, but the former Arkansas high school standout will leave. So, where will he land?

Potential destinations haven't surfaced yet, but Pettway is an Alabama native despite playing his high school ball in Arkansas. With the ties Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has to that state, is it possible Pettway will return to it?

He doesn't appear to be in a hurry to make a decision, and while there are any number of places that would love to have him, it's a natural connection for him to head to the Plains and play for AU.

It would be a big deal for the Tigers, who will be breaking in a new quarterback after Jarrett Stidham bolted to the NFL draft. Will the lack of an established signal-caller deter Pettway from making that leap? It's possible, but we'll roll with the Tigers.

Prediction: Auburn

I wouldn’t like this move at all. Nothing against the kid, but I just don’t think we need another receiver if we keep Pickens in the class. Pickens has the talent to play immediately. 

This Pettway guy is a possession receiver. Making tough catches when needed. Every team can use that. And he's a grad transfer. Our WR's are young. I wouldn't be mad if he came to us and I wouldn't be mad if he didn't come to us. Nothing wrong with more depth. We had 2 starting receivers tear ACL's last year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

This Pettway guy is a possession receiver. Making tough catches when needed. Every team can use that. And he's a grad transfer. Our WR's are young. I wouldn't be mad if he came to us and I wouldn't be mad if he didn't come to us. Nothing wrong with more depth. We had 2 starting receivers tear ACL's last year

We need Ol, LB, Dl and could use another Db a lot more than we need another WR. I guess if we can't get enough guys at positions of need getting this guy won't hurt but I wouldn't want to use one of our remaining  slots on him if we can get somebody that plays a position of need.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

We need Ol, LB, Dl and could use another Db a lot more than we need another WR. I guess if we can't get enough guys at positions of need getting this guy won't hurt but I wouldn't want to use one of our remaining  slots on him if we can get somebody that plays a position of need.

The coaches obviously know what they need. Your roster isn't always going to be perfect. The WR corps is young. Wouldn't be bad having an experienced receiver in the group if he chose to come

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

The coaches obviously know what they need. 

I try to agree with this....maybe there are things behind the scenes we arent aware of...maybe one of our WRs has mentioned to the staff uncertainty or interest in leaving....who knows? or maybe with the TO at Arky this year that they are trying to land this guy in hopes tht he brings in another player from Arky...maybe someone that we could use immediately.....Of course that is the conspiracy theorists in me.....as I have been labeled before because i dont always take things at face value...not self labeled lol

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I try to agree with this....maybe there are things behind the scenes we arent aware of...maybe one of our WRs has mentioned to the staff uncertainty or interest in leaving....who knows? or maybe with the TO at Arky this year that they are trying to land this guy in hopes tht he brings in another player from Arky...maybe someone that we could use immediately.....Of course that is the conspiracy theorists in me.....as I have been labeled before because i dont always take things at face value...not self labeled lol

Understandable. Also Hastings is another possession receiver but nobody knows how his knee will heal up. Maybe Pettway is insurance

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Ding, ding, ding and we have a winner! 99% of what is debated on forums is conjecture or hearsay or opinion and they may be right or wrong. This is why I rarely argue  in these debates because most of it is conjecture based on hearsay or opinion. Very little comes from the horses mouth as they say!

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Very little comes from the horses mouth as they say!

And very little is going to come from the horse's mouth & when it does it's more often not accurate because the horse doesn't want to acknowledge real info or gives false info for PR purposes. Therefore info from connecteds  & beat writers is the closest thing to what's really going on in that moment in time that we will get.

• Thanks 1

Just spitballing here. On Pettway the staff could see him as an experienced way to fill the vacancy left by Slayton, which I think the staff was not expecting to happen. We now only have 1 proven tall WR on Roster in Seth Williams & he did a lot of work inside. The staff may be looking at Pettway to fill the outside big WR in the short term.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, AubFanCT said:

I see CBs for Bell and Henry to FSU On 247. For the love of sweet baby Jesus. 

McGahee is a big time FSU homer & doesn't work for 247. When FSU 247 reporters Jamie Newberg & Chris Nee put in picks for FSU then that's an attention getter.

Edited by ellitor

WR is probably our strongest position assuming we sign Pickens.  GP plus Williams, Schwartz, JJ, Hill, Stove, Hastings, Canella, McLain, etc.. Of course we don't know about WH and ES recoveries and status of Sal and Marquis is somewhat unknown, so recruitment of Pettway may have something to do with one or more of those four veteran receivers. Our depth probably had something to do with Slayton deciding to leave early. Not enough footballs to go around especially if we return to being run first and read option offense.

• Like 2

I don't see a need to get him unless the staff isn't sure about Pickens recruitment. Pickens should start day 1 in Slaytons spot. Maybe we aren't so sure about his recruitment?

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't see a need to get him unless the staff isn't sure about Pickens recruitment. Pickens should start day 1 in Slaytons spot. Maybe we aren't so sure about his recruitment?

No sources but I think our biggest threat is grades. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Staff is very confident on Pickens. Probably has more to do with us not having a proven outside WR on roster right now. Most teams want at least 2 outside guys.

On 1/24/2019 at 5:21 PM, LKEEL75 said:

I almost spit my drink reading that...  HAHA  6'8" 280 tailback.  HAHAHA  There is an every down back for ya.  

There was some highlights of him at tailback, reminded me of when we were recruiting Ladarious Phillips (RIP), we went after him as a fall-back option as well, but he was an athletic specimen. 

• Like 1

I have started to watch Some of Wisdom's film. As a DT he is overpowering despite very poor pad level. He has a good motor and chases people down from behind so for a man of his size he has very good wheels. I also found where he was at a basketball camp in a three point shooting contest with the coach at the camp and he actually was hitting the three. If he doesn't work out as an OT we could finally have a big thick Power Forward.

I really think he has the most upside as an OT of all the ones we are trying to get. It will take him a while to convert to OT but once his technique is refined he could be a great OT.  I hope we are pushing hard for him and we are not to late.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I hope we are pushing hard for him

We are.

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

we are not to late.

If he doesn't sign on NSD so he can OV AU the next weekend that will be a good indicator. He reclassified from 2020 to 2019 just this month FWIW.

On 1/27/2019 at 4:14 PM, ellitor said:

McGahee is a big time FSU homer & doesn't work for 247. When FSU 247 reporters Jamie Newberg & Chris Nee put in picks for FSU then that's an attention getter.

Ask and ye shall receive, sorry I could not make it smaller on my phone, not trying to rub it in.

B8D61FD0-1065-45D8-9ACB-E5095867A2EC.png

On 1/26/2019 at 7:57 PM, Sizzle said:

BTW, how are Stove and Hastings progressing in their rehab ?