97% of Signees Have Enrolled Under Gus

AU-24

37 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Malzhan has won 69% of his SEC games, better than Shug Jordan, and slightly behind  & Pat Dye at just over 70% as the best in Auburn recent history. It's not "definitely bad "  No doubt I'm on the more forgiving side of the spectrum, but events will play out as they play out. I don't think Malzhan on the hot seat, but it's a little toasty. I think Gus has done a good job controlling what is in his control, and he has been heavily involved in the only 2 true national championship games Auburn has been in since I've been a fan.  Still if it's time to make a change, it will be time to make a change. But don't discount the fact they you may be facing a 10 or 15 year walk in the wilderness when you do. The first team on your list (Bama) did exactly that before Saban.  It's not a reason to not make a change, but it's a reason to not make it lightly.

Gus has lost 25 games in 5 yrs man, and he and his staff are pulling a top 5 salary with massive buyouts if AU decides to can them.:banghead:  

As far a Bama pre-Saban, they were serving probation with bowl bans and lost nearly 2 dozen scholarships.  They couldn't hire a decent coach if they wanted to after that.  I will say that during their weak yrs, they poured a ton of money into their facilities and made plans to pay out the ass to draw a guy like Nick Saban.  They prepped for the future so they'd be primed and ready when those sanctions ended.......the past +10 yrs that program has re-written the history books.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

If we dump Gus’s contract we damn sure better be able to hire a guy that can do better than 8-5.

I get that we should not sitting on our hands, but you have to know what’s out there and have a strong inclination that not only will a quality coach come to Auburn, but that he will do well. You don’t quit your job without having jobs lined up. You don’t go into the shower without having a towel ready. You don’t take a dump without checking for toilet paper. Do I need to go on?

Bob Stoops!

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Bob Stoops!

If they think they can get him, they should have a plan B that can outshine Gus as well. Our budget is already tight. Don’t need to put money in the vending machine just to receive another stale bag of chips. 

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

If we dump Gus’s contract we damn sure better be able to hire a guy that can do better than 8-5.

I get that we should not sitting on our hands, but you have to know what’s out there and have a strong inclination that not only will a quality coach come to Auburn, but that he will do well. You don’t quit your job without having jobs lined up. You don’t go into the shower without having a towel ready. You don’t take a dump without checking for toilet paper. Do I need to go on?

At the risk of derailing this thread... there are some REALLY good coaches out there that we could get if we opened the checkbook. Or we could go the coordinator route and try to get Brent Venables or Dave Aranda, both could be incredible head coaches. It's year 7, we have a big enough sample size to know what Gus is. Everyone HOPES he will put it together and have us in the hunt every year but he's yet to do so. We've been much more patient with him than just about every other program has been with their coaches. If your current coach isn't able to get you where you want to be eventually you have to try something else. Fear of the unknown is how you get 7-6/8-5 seasons for a decade. 

52 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I don't think Malzhan on the hot seat, but it's a little toasty. 

Christi is still applying salve to his bum from the roasting he took only 8-9 months ago. And you don't think he's on the hot seat? :dead:

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

If they think they can get him, they should have a plan B that can outshine Gus as well. Our budget is already tight. Don’t need to put money in the vending machine just to receive another stale bag of chips. 

Money is no object, so we've been told over and over the past year.   While the AD strikes a 10% cut across every sport.

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

Money is no object, so we've been told over and over the past year.   While the AD strikes a 10% cut across every sport.

Wasn't JJ's AD famous for having a bloated payroll? I heard a forum rumor years ago that we had like 20 people employed to do the work of 6 people or something like that. I don't think getting costs under control is bad in and of itself, but the way they handled the press was for it wasn't great. 

24 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

At the risk of derailing this thread...

As far as I’m concerned, if WalkingCarpet and aujeff are conversing in a thread, the thread automatically assumes the backseat. 

there are some REALLY good coaches out there that we could get if we opened the checkbook

I’ve heard some names more often than others and all of them have a sample size way too small to determine what they can do here. 

It's year 7, we have a big enough sample size to know what Gus is.

Two of those years were wildly successful in spurts. We really don’t know if he cant put it all together imo. He’s been close- 13 seconds in 2013, one RB short in 2017 thanks to Pettway being off the team. There are a couple other years where we were one QB short, and another where we were a whole defense short.

If Auburn and Gatewood starts off slow but gets it together and tears off a 5-2 to end the season, Gus and Joey should have another chance. Even if the record was only 9 or 10 wins. As long as we have positive momentum again, I think more fans will be okay with it. 

49 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

At the risk of derailing this thread... there are some REALLY good coaches out there that we could get if we opened the checkbook. Or we could go the coordinator route and try to get Brent Venables or Dave Aranda, both could be incredible head coaches. It's year 7, we have a big enough sample size to know what Gus is. Everyone HOPES he will put it together and have us in the hunt every year but he's yet to do so. We've been much more patient with him than just about every other program has been with their coaches. If your current coach isn't able to get you where you want to be eventually you have to try something else. Fear of the unknown is how you get 7-6/8-5 seasons for a decade. 

Fan! Muhhhh Brodie!!! At this point I just want to have fun again watching AU football and be entertained. It has been so long! I want to go in to a season being excited about AU fball! Can I please have 1 fball coach in my lifetime that I love half as much as I love Bruuuuuce!? At this point let's just hire Buddy Stephens from EMCC! He is a 5 time juco national champion. At least it would be entertaining right!? Lol we could do a lot worse. If you can recruit kids to Scooba you can recruit kids anywhere. He would get me fired up a lot more than these MEH boring names. We need a complete a**hole after 2 great men in chiz and Gus!! Lol

47 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not happening if there is a this time.

You're letting all the air out of this thread bro. Gwill and keesler were picking up steam.

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

You're letting all the air out of this thread bro. Gwill and keesler were picking up steam.

giphy.gif

Good. All we need is like the 1000th thread this offseason derailed once again by hot seat talk.

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure how many ways we can explain that we're well aware of the minimal risk and we think it's well worth it to try to get better

The risk is not minimal. Schools with more money and prestige than Auburn have "wandered in the wilderness" year after year, coach after coach. Their can't miss hires turned out to be busts. The list of such schools has been posted more than once here. Anyone that thinks that can't happen to AU isn't being realistic.

If a change has to be made, then one has to be made but it's not something to do lightly. The probabilities are all in favor of a poor outcome.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

The risk is not minimal. Schools with more money and prestige than Auburn have "wandered in the wilderness" year after year, coach after coach. Their can't miss hires turned out to be busts. The list of such schools has been posted more than once here. Anyone that thinks that can't happen to AU isn't being realistic.

If a change has to be made, then one has to be made but it's not something to do lightly. The probabilities are all in favor of a poor outcome.

-Would love to know who says "that can't happen at AU". Don't worry, I'm not holding my breath for an honest response.

-The list of other schools has already been addressed. It's not my problem that you have trouble processing information that doesn't fit your limited and misguided point of view.

-Who said anything about making a change lightly? It's been 5 years of the SOS. The bad-to-mediocre years are the norm. The good ones are the exception.

-You keep citing probabilities without any evidence to support that. You're literally just voicing an opinion you made up in your head as fact. A bit unhinged, you are.

-Really wish we would have kept Barfield. Or Bowden. Or Chizik. Should've backed up the truck for those guys. What were we thinking?!?!?!

21 hours ago, Tiger said:
21 hours ago, McLoofus said:

They didn't sit around waiting on the wrong guy to become the right guy.

Powwww

You beat me to it. That sums up the way to think about it (i.e. insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome).

I would argue that we are currently in the wilderness. Nothing from Gus seems sustainable. TAMU is neck and neck with us and about to pass us as top 3 program in the West. We are getting left behind, we know Gus isn't the guy. We can't keep the training wheels on him in hopes of him getting better forever or our footing as a program will slip considerably. 

He's freaking .500 against Mississippi State for forks sake

The thing is, it doesn't matter how freaking good of a season Gus pulls out of his butt with a freshman QB this fall, next year is going to be a trainwreck and put him right back on the hot seat so this whole thing will be reignited yet again. 

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Why is everyone freaking out

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

the season has not even started yet?

You answered your own question. It's what fans do in the off season when their team is not on top of the mountain.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

I would argue that we are currently in the wilderness.

It's crazy what these people are citing as "walks in the wilderness" that they think would be worse than 5 straight years of averaging 5 losses.

-Ron Zook averaged 5 losses a year for 3 years. Will Muschamp averaged 5.33 losses a year for 3 years. Will Muschamp and DJ Durkin lost 5 games combined in the year that Muschamp got fired. We are literally on a longer "walk in the wilderness" averaging the exact same number of losses that Florida has at any point since Spurrier left, and with less success in between those 5-loss seasons.

-That 10-year nightmare that bama lived through, which involved crippling sanctions just this side of the death penalty? 5.5 losses a year. Each of their 3 coaches in that period had a 10-win season. 

-Texas's "long walk in the wilderness" with Strong lasted a whopping 3 seasons. Their current guy is averaging- wait for it- 5 losses in his 2 seasons. He's coming off a 10-win season, btw. 

-USC? Less than 5 losses a season since Carroll left (on his own- wasn't fired). 4 double-digit win seasons in 9 years. Auburn has had 3 such seasons in that same time. To be fair, Gus has 2 of them against a tough schedule. 

-Michigan had a 7-year "walk in the wilderness" with RichRod and Hoke. Then they hired Harbaugh. 3 10-win seasons in 4 years. 

Tennessee is definitely on a walk in the wilderness, and they're going to be for a long time. They might be more or less done. Here's why. They're not going to be able to keep up with recruiting in the post-saban world. Look at their in-state talent. Look at their state borders. They'll have some years better than others with the right coach, but they're closer to USC, UK and Mizzoo than they are to uga and UF.  

Some of y'all are just saying things that aren't true. 

On 7/22/2019 at 3:15 PM, ellitor said:

The one with the sad face emoji? Couldn't tell since I ruffle your feathers sometimes. If not yellow font, a sarcasm gif, or a tongue out emoji chances are I will miss the sarcasm.

Oh Sheldon, it’s ok.

53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

5 straight years of averaging 5 losses.

So the year we only lost 4 we still averaged 5 that year?

58 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Some of y'all are just saying things that aren't true.

10pjtj.jpg?a434520

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Losses

2014-2018

5+6+5+4+5 = 25

25/5 = 5 avg.

Too bad Gus has coached six.. What else are we trying to cherry pick this afternoon?

Archived