***Bo Nix Named 2019 Starting QB***

augolf1716

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Jeudy and Tua...

Man, those bama QBs have had some damned talent to work with. And some OCs who knew how to use talented receivers. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/21/2019 at 2:03 PM, WalkingCarpet said:

He was running for his life in a lot of his hudl tape. Hard to teach that level of pocket presence. Stidham sure didn't have it.

Something to be said about experience. After my shoulder imploded, during my junior year of college, I started helping as a Grad Assistant/Recruiter for my college to stay a part of the team. One thing I remember discussing with my coach was that I, personally, didn't like recruiting wrestlers who were undefeated in high school. They were too much of an unknown. How will they handle a tough loss? Can they keep their composure when behind by points? Blah blah blah.

My point is, if you live your life behind a cushy OL you might be a little shell shocked when playing behind a weaker line. Imagine Tom Brady having to play with Cam Newton's OL and receivers over the last 9 years or so.

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure I've ever seen a WR prop up a QB's career like Mike Evans did Manziel's. 

But Manziel was damned hard to tackle. No question about that. 

Ryan Swope was right behind Mike Evans in receiving yards and led the team in Receiving TDs in 2012. Swope was gone for 2013 and Evans became even more effective. 

Manziel still had nearly 10,000yds total offense in 2 seasons. Despite the opponent, I thought Manziel was incredibly fun to watch in the bowl game against Duke.

I know people are trying to find a comparison but Bo Nix is not Manziel, or Mayfield, etc... He WILL be very good, maybe even great. But those QBs won a Heisman. Let's slow the expectations a little (lot), at least until he is a sophomore hahaha.

I see Bo as being someone that can scramble but he is not even close to as shifty as Manziel. His arm is good and he can be very accurate. He has a quick release and is smart. Those are his best attributes. I think he will be a game manager type QB that can make a lot of throws and can scramble out of necessity. I don't think you will see many "wow" moments but over time you will be impressed on just his ability to see the field and move the chains.  If I was to make a comparison I would say he is like Fromm at uga maybe? 

21 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I know people are trying to find a comparison but Bo Nix is not Manziel, or Mayfield, etc... He WILL be very good, maybe even great. But those QBs won a Heisman. Let's slow the expectations a little (lot), at least until he is a sophomore hahaha.

I see Bo as being someone that can scramble but he is not even close to as shifty as Manziel. His arm is good and he can be very accurate. He has a quick release and is smart. Those are his best attributes. I think he will be a game manager type QB that can make a lot of throws and can scramble out of necessity. I don't think you will see many "wow" moments but over time you will be impressed on just his ability to see the field and move the chains.  If I was to make a comparison I would say he is like Fromm at uga maybe? 

I don't think anybody's making comparisons. Only bringing up how metrics don't tell the story on mobility. 

Also, I don't find higher, "gunslinger" expectations to be any less valid than lower, "game manager" expectations. 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, I don't find higher, "gunslinger" expectations to be any less valid than lower, "game manager" expectations. 

True. At this point nothing is valid. Kid has not played a game. 

On 8/26/2019 at 10:19 AM, McLoofus said:

I don't think anybody's making comparisons. Only bringing up how metrics don't tell the story on mobility. 

I'd mansplain to my wife that a gunslinger is what Gus needs.....

As much as I still don't feel Sean White was the best type of QB for Gus, at least when he was healthy and running around he was looking to move the ball, one way or another (vs Jarrett looking to immediately throw it out of bounds as he "managed the game").

....my wife, however, doesn't care about football and would simply be polite and say "whatever you say honey".

So y'all are blessed with my expertise instead. :rolleyes:

On 8/26/2019 at 8:28 AM, BigWhiskey91 said:

Ryan Swope was right behind Mike Evans in receiving yards and led the team in Receiving TDs in 2012. Swope was gone for 2013 and Evans became even more effective. 

Manziel still had nearly 10,000yds total offense in 2 seasons. Despite the opponent, I thought Manziel was incredibly fun to watch in the bowl game against Duke.

he's the most fun QB in my lifetime. wish he succeeded

12 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

he's the most fun QB in my lifetime. wish he succeeded

He reminded me of the highlights of Fran Tarkington & Archie Manning (their college careers were just a bit before my time).

Johnny rushed for 1400+ yards and 21 TDs his freshman year. He was a beast.

I don't think Bo will be coming close to those numbers, but if he can improvise when the OL breaks down and make plays down the field in a Manziel-like manner it will be a massive boost to our O. Things will break down, whether via poor OL play or Gus being predictable as hell. I just hope Bo can make chicken salad out of chicken shiz

It’s kinda personally surreal for me to read over some of his comments after he won the job. Guy grew up on the same memories, cherished the same moments I did. I think it’s under a year difference in age, but if anybody should know what a good Auburn looks like, it really should be someone born in our generation. Not to disrespect the old heads, but I think we’ve been the closest to achieving a multitude of titles in this era. Not the consistent win production of Dye’s days though 

not to mention the unprecedented success of the athletics program as a whole 

On 8/21/2019 at 2:35 PM, AuburnTiger4Life said:

441597BF-C9A2-4585-8BC6-255E16CD38BD.jpegCredit to jts4AU71 on reddit 

Please does anybody have a clue where this came from? I see the reddit thing there but did someone just plug these numbers in? I am trying to determine if there is any merit to them whatsoever?

39 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Please does anybody have a clue where this came from? I see the reddit thing there but did someone just plug these numbers in? I am trying to determine if there is any merit to them whatsoever?

He's almost last place in the vertical jump category 

Must be real

43 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

It came from 247. Except the NFL players. He claims he got them from the combine 

I saw a picture from the 2010 win against Oregon this morning and little Bo Nix was stating front and center right next to Cam in in AU Jersey and it really made me appreciate Bo. Im 41 and was born and raise here in Auburn and still live here to this day. I remember watching Bo Jackson as a child with my father in Jordan Hare and realized Bo did this very same thins with his father. Bo being a 5 star could play for any team he wants but he always wanted to play not only football but football for Auburn specifically. He has that extra passion for AU that many players don't necessarily have. I don't want to take away from any of our boys as I am proud of all that wear our colors, but it is just extra special to have the passion form a young boy to be an Auburn Tiger and now hes starting QB. Im really proud of this guy. Win or lose, touchdowns or turn overs.... just remember this year's QB was born an Auburn Tiger and is going to give his very best every weekend. We as fans need to remember this through this season because there will be times it could get really tough with our schedule. 

We are hardly accurate about simple things like weight and height and you guys going to believe this? This is an easy 2-3 year remember when this was said post

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We are hardly accurate about simple things like weight and height and you guys going to believe this? This is an easy 2-3 year remember when this was said post

Hopefully in that time we will be talking about how amazing Bo is...

1 hour ago, Beenjammin said:

I saw a picture from the 2010 win against Oregon this morning and little Bo Nix was stating front and center right next to Cam in in AU Jersey and it really made me appreciate Bo. Im 41 and was born and raise here in Auburn and still live here to this day. I remember watching Bo Jackson as a child with my father in Jordan Hare and realized Bo did this very same thins with his father. Bo being a 5 star could play for any team he wants but he always wanted to play not only football but football for Auburn specifically. He has that extra passion for AU that many players don't necessarily have. I don't want to take away from any of our boys as I am proud of all that wear our colors, but it is just extra special to have the passion form a young boy to be an Auburn Tiger and now hes starting QB. Im really proud of this guy. Win or lose, touchdowns or turn overs.... just remember this year's QB was born an Auburn Tiger and is going to give his very best every weekend. We as fans need to remember this through this season because there will be times it could get really tough with our schedule. 

Sounds like destiny 

2 hours ago, Beenjammin said:

he's right, win or lose, this is pretty dang special.   I personally will give him an incredibly long leash.   I went back and watched one of his playoff games and it is easy to see how his quick decisions could very well translate to just throwing away the ball to prevent worse things or extending plays.  I don't expect any real runs, but he could surprise us.     

IMO he should be on a long leash because he's a true freshman and needs to be able to play through his mistakes, not because he's an AU legacy.

Bo and Joey, when he's in there, should both be allowed to screw up because they will literally be doing something they have no experience in doing.

Also, keep in mind that Gus really has no idea what he has on his roster until he sees them in 4 games (smh). So there's a definite possibility that Joey is actually the best option for the team. Not saying this to disparage Bo, but how many times have we seen the wrong guy in the lineup based on piss-poor off-season assessment by GUs? Took an injury to our OL for us to get our best OL unit on the field in 2016. The JJ fiasco. Kam Pettway wasn't even going to play RB until we accidentally found out he's a 1200 yard rusher over just 9 games , etc. Just something to think about. Gus has no credibility when it comes to evaluating his own roster.

3 hours ago, Beenjammin said:

I agree. Another thing to add. The same could be said for Joey, though maybe not to that extent. He was committed to us forever, and we went through some tough times and what looked like a sure fire coaching change and he never waivered. These things make me appreciate both of these guys so much. War Damn

Archived