Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

15 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

They are either working or we don’t pursue them when we should (Cristobal). I honestly think we could have had something great if he came in and cleaned house and we gave him full control. 

Cristobal does not meet that category to me...Brian Kelly does tho...as well as Lincoln Riley 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Cristobal does not meet that category to me...Brian Kelly does tho...as well as Lincoln Riley 

No way we get either of those guys. They are coaching at blue bloods and are successful there. Cristobal is probably the highest current coach we can go as far as quality at this point based off previous results. A guy who has 2 PAC-12 championships and can recruit circles around most people is someone I’d back the brinks truck up to. 

Captain Obvious here, but IMO, there is one major obstacle standing in the way, thereby limiting the pool of applicants to what SHOULD be the top open job in the country. Right here. Right now. It's really inexcusable because the timing of this opening couldn't be any better. But here's the rub. The new coach must agree to keep some of the current staff in place. Why? #1, Buyouts. Auburn is still tied up contractually to the current staff. #2, the PTB have had an inside source (one or more) within the current and previous staffs, secretly providing back channel intel on the HC's job performance (good and bad). For how long, who knows (since Dye?), but it makes sense. I find it difficult to justify. Maybe it was, If the HC was a micromanager, refused to adapt, and deliberately limited recruiting efforts (OL) based on HIS own faulty metrics and stubbornness. I believe this 'spy' operation to be widely and quietly known within the coaching profession. Therefore, KS is propped up as "the" guy. Either he gets the job, or the new guy must play ball with him, and others, so to speak. No accomplished HC would agree to that unless they already have a good relationship with KS and company from previous encounters.

1 hour ago, slyinsocal said:

Captain Obvious here, but IMO, there is one major obstacle standing in the way, thereby limiting the pool of applicants to what SHOULD be the top open job in the country. Right here. Right now. It's really inexcusable because the timing of this opening couldn't be any better. But here's the rub. The new coach must agree to keep some of the current staff in place. Why? #1, Buyouts. Auburn is still tied up contractually to the current staff. #2, the PTB have had an inside source (one or more) within the current and previous staffs, secretly providing back channel intel on the HC's job performance (good and bad). For how long, who knows (since Dye?), but it makes sense. I find it difficult to justify. Maybe it was, If the HC was a micromanager, refused to adapt, and deliberately limited recruiting efforts (OL) based on HIS own faulty metrics and stubbornness. I believe this 'spy' operation to be widely and quietly known within the coaching profession. Therefore, KS is propped up as "the" guy. Either he gets the job, or the new guy must play ball with him, and others, so to speak. No accomplished HC would agree to that unless they already have a good relationship with KS and company from previous encounters.

I think its been heavily implied by the majority of candidates we considered having Steele ties. Quite unfortunate that the next HC will basically have an in/rat in the locker room. Petyr Baelish situation...for GoT watchers

3 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Yes!!! Kyle freakin Parker at QB and they still played for the ACC Championship in 2009 and broke a then school record for points scored in a season.

Someone mentioned earlier today about if Tony Elliot came to Auburn he would try to bring Brandon Streeter with him. I think if we hired Napier that he might have a chance to poach Streeter away from Clemson also.  Napier and Streeter were both offensive GA's back in 2004 under Tommy Bowden at Clemson. 

https://www.thecoachestree.com/leagues/ncaa-football/conferences/acc/divisions/atlantic/teams/clemson-tigers/2004

Yessssiirrr!!!!! Love this 💡 idea!!! I would so so soooooo totally be down for that!!! Wooooo!!!! Let's gooooo!!!! Big time brandon streeter fan. Know @bigbird is as well.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think its been heavily implied by the majority of candidates we considered having Steele ties. Quite unfortunate that the next HC will basically have an in/rat in the locker room. Petyr Baelish situation...for GoT watchers

I want steele gone immediately from AU. I don't even want him on staff as a DC. First we need to let what hopefully and I'm praying is a new guy and it's not Steele pick his whole staff without interference. And second like you are alluding to who's to say this BS won't come up again?! Say the new coach hits some adversity well if steele is still on staff we know that the booster's who wanted him as coach are still around. Pissed that they didn't get their way and will be looking to get their way this time. It's a horrible situation. You basically got a teacher's pet and rat like you alluded to on staff who is relaying everything to the booster's.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Little finger eventually got turned into a pez dispenser 

7 hours ago, shabby said:

wasn't Bill Clark's name brought up often as a good head coach candidate for the last few years? has something changed here?

Yes, he was.  "Anyone is better than Gus" was the mantra back then.  

Clark just isn't the guy a 'Top 15 football program' normally gets excited about.

On the other hand, the Barn is full of rats.  It may need to be burned to cinders and then rebuilt from the ground up.  Bill Clark may be just the guy to do it.  

While not a splashy hire, Clark is still > Steele.  

I feel that a Clark, Brown or Steele hire is a big FU from a crabby booster who didn’t wanna get rid of Gus and cares more about his hurt feelings than love for Auburn and wants to sh@t on everyone.   Basically a spoiled F’ing brat

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yessssiirrr!!!!! Love this 💡 idea!!! I would so so soooooo totally be down for that!!! Wooooo!!!! Let's gooooo!!!! Big time brandon streeter fan. Know @bigbird is as well.

While I love Streeter, I'd love Phil Longo as our OC.

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

He didn't back out he was there

somepme posted on twitter of how harbert is one of the guys that helps pay phil marshalls bills by writing him checks no surprise phil is running strong with the deep pockets

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Napier-jumps-to-the-front-in-Auburn-coach-search-157519626/

Let's ******* goooooooo

First headline implying anyone other than Steele is the leading candidate. 

Right!! I’ll take it. It’s sad this is the state we are in. Although I like Napier. 

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Right!! I’ll take it. It’s sad this is the state we are in. Although I like Napier. 

Oh yeah I don't give a **** whose name it was this is legitimately the first time anyone other than Steele has been deemed the leader. Not like he hasn't interviewed yet lol.

@GwillMac6the 247 pencil pushers said something other than Steele propaganda 

Marshall is obviously a mouthpiece for the GOB network. You can tell my the way he writes and how he phrases his writings. He avoids criticizing certain people and uses "writers privilege" to try to create a narrative that he is "in the know". The dude knows less than s*** about the inner workings of the AU program EXCEPT what he is told to write. Unfortunately, I have a yearly sub and am trying to get my money back. Avoid 24/7 like the plague because it like a damn cult over there, but I do notice that there seems to be a lot of people questioning PM about his role in all of this. He does not like it either

2 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Marshall is obviously a mouthpiece for the GOB network. You can tell my the way he writes and how he phrases his writings. He avoids criticizing certain people and uses "writers privilege" to try to create a narrative that he is "in the know". The dude knows less than s*** about the inner workings of the AU program EXCEPT what he is told to write. Unfortunately, I have a yearly sub and am trying to get my money back. Avoid 24/7 like the plague because it like a damn cult over there, but I do notice that there seems to be a lot of people questioning PM about his role in all of this. He does not like it either

He wrote an entire chicken s*** article refuting the things RIR told us and sticking up for the trustees and the treasonous coach.

His old jaba the hut a** needs to be sent to retirement 

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Napier-jumps-to-the-front-in-Auburn-coach-search-157519626/

Let's ******* goooooooo

First headline implying anyone other than Steele is the leading candidate. 

I’m good with that! I’m just not sure how people know who “the leading candidate” is haha. Is it just from gossip from the boosters/athletic department? 

2 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

I’m good with that! I’m just not sure how people know who “the leading candidate” is haha. Is it just from gossip from the boosters/athletic department? 

Yeah they probably have someone on the committee talking to them or the trustees. PM isn't to be trusted but he's been so pro-Steele that for him to write this had to be a good sign 

247 is saying Napier is going to be offered the job. Says steele and sark have not even interviewed.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Yeah they probably have someone on the committee talking to them or the trustees. PM isn't to be trusted but he's been so pro-Steele that for him to write this had to be a good sign 

Or maybe it’s a ploy to appease the #stopsteele movement and get some heat off their back until they say well Steele interviewed after Napier and crushed it and becomes head coach. Sorry but until JABA shows me different I have a pessimistic outlook.... Keep fighting the good fight everyone! Hold!!! #stopsteele #draintheplains 

91609102-7D0E-4F1F-BDF0-AF982915EEBD.gif

Archived