CBH After Game Statement

toddc

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

The talent is what it is. Imagine if this coaching staff had that 2017 talent? That is what I am hoping we get to. JS would be amazing with this group. 

Dude, I was legit imagining that exact thing this morning. 

Lots of obvious names come to mind but, like, can you imagine how much help even Sal Cannella and Will Hastings would be giving us right now???

• Like 5

I am on the fence about the receivers being bad because we haven’t seen them all play for whatever reason. The drops seem to come from the same people. There has to be at least two able bodies on the roster than can catch on a consistent basis

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dude, I was legit imagining that exact thing this morning. 

Lots of obvious names come to mind but, like, can you imagine how much help even Sal Cannella and Will Hastings would be giving us right now???

Ryan Davis would be an all-american

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Ryan Davis would be an all-american

Him and Slayton with Stidham throwing the ball... Braden Smith still around... KJ catching passes out of the backfield... All those NFL guys on defense... Aw man now I'm getting sad.

• Like 3

I don’t know how Gus did it but I will give him props on that he could recruit. Too bad it was squandered. Here’s to hoping we pick up momentum for that in the next few weeks. 

• Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 8:18 PM, aucom96 said:

It will all come down to recruiting. I like Harsin as a football coach. He certainly doesn't seem reluctant to make tough decisions. But if he can't recruit at a high level, he's going to have a short stay. 

We can't run the ball against anyone with a pulse, our defense gets lit up by every QB they face, our receivers can't catch a cold and our starting QB - gutsy as he is - is still playing high school ball. Harsin has a tough task ahead of him. Culture is the easy part. Talent is the only thing that will get us where we want to be. 

Culture is FAR from the easy part. Talent isn't the only thing (it's important) to get us where we want to be. We need more of it, but don't forget the programs that got to where they wanted to be before the talent started showing up. 

26 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t know how Gus did it but I will give him props on that he could recruit. Too bad it was squandered. Here’s to hoping we pick up momentum for that in the next few weeks. 

That's what's so crazy about the OL situation. The mental makeup and actual talent can certainly be questioned, but he recruited respectably according to recruiting rankings at every position except OL. Which shows that it was literally a decision not to recruit OLs. Insanity. /rant

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

No, people aren't blaming Gus for "everything". But we have massive talent deficiencies on this team and that is almost 100% on Gus. It's incomprehensible that anyone would suggest either 1. Harsin is primarily responsible for this roster or 2. that he should just be able to win games with inferior talent. 

No, if we are having an honest conversation about why Auburn football is performing the way that it is halfway into the 2021 season, then we should not just "move on" from the guy who spent the last 8 years turning it into what it is now and what it will be until the current guy can get his own players in. 

This projection makes no sense. 

Massive?  Your definition of massive and mine are not the same.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

That's what's so crazy about the OL situation. The mental makeup and actual talent can certainly be questioned, but he recruited respectably according to recruiting rankings at every position except OL. Which shows that it was literally a decision not to recruit OLs. Insanity. /rant

OL is a problem.  Nobody is denying that.  How many OL coaches did we go thru trying to impact that?  Several that I can recall.  What we have now is an OL that is middle of the pack in the SEC and made up of several transfers in addition to a couple of recruits. Gus wasn't able to overcome the perception that had developed and had been used to negatively recruit against us, whether that perception was completely accurate or not.  We need to get better at the position now. Hopefully we are addressing that problem.

13 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Maybe so, but Gus inherited a less than empty cupboard than Harsin has. Think back to Bowden bad how TT had to deal w the crap left on his plate. 

.....and TT won the SEC West in year 2.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Culture is FAR from the easy part. Talent isn't the only thing (it's important) to get us where we want to be. We need more of it, but don't forget the programs that got to where they wanted to be before the talent started showing up. 

For Auburn, I think it is. The reason Saban can sell his "culture" as NFL prep like he does is because he was pulling in #1 classes right at the start. It's a lot easier to convince a kid who has dominated every level of play he's been at to buy into what you're selling if he's competing against two or three more kids just as good in next year's class. UGA, same story. 

If Harsin can't get top 10 classes, time will become his enemy. It may be better sense to do things the Mike Stoops way and wait 6 or 7 years to build everything up, but I just don't see that happening. There's too much money being sunk in Auburn football. Honestly, I'm surprised how much of a difference I already see in certain fundamental aspects of this team but if we're recruiting middle of the pack, we're going to be middle of the pack and Auburn is not going to be patient with middle of the pack for long, culture or no. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, aucom96 said:

For Auburn, I think it is. The reason Saban can sell his "culture" as NFL prep like he does is because he was pulling in #1 classes right at the start. It's a lot easier to convince a kid who has dominated every level of play he's been at to buy into what you're selling if he's competing against two or three more kids just as good in next year's class. UGA, same story. 

If Harsin can't get top 10 classes, time will become his enemy. It may be better sense to do things the Mike Stoops way and wait 6 or 7 years to build everything up, but I just don't see that happening. There's too much money being sunk in Auburn football. Honestly, I'm surprised how much of a difference I already see in certain fundamental aspects of this team but if we're recruiting middle of the pack, we're going to be middle of the pack and Auburn is not going to be patient with middle of the pack for long, culture or no. 

I think it took Stoops 6-7 years because it is UK. I don't think it will take anywhere close to that length of time because we are Auburn. Doing it right, at a school with our prominence and resources, should be a quicker turnaround

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I'm hoping for a talented and balanced but young and inexperienced roster by 2023 and a 10-win caliber team by 2024. 

Gonna be a little tougher because we're not going to get much of a draft bump on the offensive side before then, but maybe Harsin can sell the flip side of that which is early opportunity. 

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm hoping for a talented and balanced but young and inexperienced roster by 2023 and a 10-win caliber team by 2024. 

Gonna be a little tougher because we're not going to get much of a draft bump on the offensive side before then, but maybe Harsin can sell the flip side of that which is early opportunity. 

I’m hopeful the transfer portal speeds that up a little bit but gets used less and less every year. Of course, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts….

14 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I’m hopeful the transfer portal speeds that up a little bit but gets used less and less every year. Of course, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts….

Yup, totally agree. 

Fortunately WR is a position where you can bring in a plug and play upperclassman without having to worry too much about continuity and such. Like, we could bring in a Duke Williams, see immediate and dramatic impact, and send him on to the NFL by 2023. Hopefully there's a little of that luck.

But yeah, let's use it as long and as much as we need to. I agree that we should see the numbers taper off as Harsin builds that high school foundation up. 

23 hours ago, AU9377 said:

.....and TT won the SEC West in year 2.

Yes and Alabama was sh*t and UGA was middle of east (Jim Donnan) as coach.  Completely different landscape now.   

On 10/12/2021 at 9:26 AM, DAG said:

The talent is what it is. Imagine if this coaching staff had that 2017 talent? That is what I am hoping we get to. JS would be amazing with this group. 

I think we can all agree that would be fun to watch.  However, with KJ injured, I'm not sure if any staff could have pulled off that championship game.

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Assuming TX and OK wait it out, we get Florida in 2024. Plus the even yr trips to the Axis of Evil.

2023 might actually set up better. I’m willing to accept five years to get to 10 wins, but not to 9.

Edited by AUwent