2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

First thing I can see happening is not letting guys stay if they enter the portal. Portal would mean you are leaving.  Might dissuade some just looking for a payday with risk that they better find somewhere else to go.  But I'm sure it would be argued this will be bad for kids that make the wrong decision, since that is already a problem with draft entries. 

12 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

First thing I can see happening is not letting guys stay if they enter the portal. Portal would mean you are leaving.  Might dissuade some just looking for a payday with risk that they better find somewhere else to go.  But I'm sure it would be argued this will be bad for kids that make the wrong decision, since that is already a problem with draft entries. 

Isn't it true that last year a lot of portal entries wound up with no scholly and no team to play for? I don't see it changing much this year either. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Isn't it true that last year a lot of portal entries wound up with no scholly and no team to play for? I don't see it changing much this year either. 

Auburn took a few back who entered the portal and then wanted back in. Some others apparently weren't accepted back. The player definitely puts himself at risk when he enters the portal. However, a highly rated player who has done well at his previous school will always be able to find a landing spot.

• Like 1

Doubt he really went fishing during this busy week…what we got going on

Edited by WFE12
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Doubt he really went fishing during this busy week…what we got going on

Means he got a commitment. This is what he did at Ole Miss, and I’m certain that picture is from the private lake he lived on outside Oxford. 

57 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Ol Keith just said he thinks we might get a top 15 class. Wouldn't that be something 

It would be a freaking miracle but I have no doubts Freeze can pull it off.  

Imagine what his classes will look like when he has more than a month to recruit 🤯

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Ol Keith just said he thinks we might get a top 15 class. Wouldn't that be something 

We will see. We need to sign the max, that is for sure. We have been short the last few years. 

33 minutes ago, SouthGATiger said:

Any news on Russaw, Smith, Hughes and others?

Playing time immediately, NiL immediately, opportunity for growth. It’s all at AU

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

We will see. We need to sign the max, that is for sure. We have been short the last few years. 

There is no max this year, but we'd do a lot better focusing on Portal kids vs taking 12 more commits to get to a normal 25.

We can still build a foundation, but need to focus on now/2023 season which will make recruiting better/easier. Then slowly switch to more HS kids and use the portal to replenish and replace the 6-9 that will transfer each year 

Agree with W.E.D.  we should aim for 20 in the recruiting class and around 30 in the portal for this cycle.

4 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Agree with W.E.D.  we should aim for 20 in the recruiting class and around 30 in the portal for this cycle.

Hoping that there are even that many available that we can attract

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, au701948 said:

Hoping that there are even that many available that we can attract

Exactly. Easy to say, oh we should sign ## high school kids and ## portal kids, but it's a two-way street.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Is this high school only or do rankings include portal now?

44 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Is this high school only or do rankings include portal now?

I think he was talking about just high school. I think portal additions are kept up with separately 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I think he was talking about just high school. I think portal additions are kept up with separately 

Was hoping that was the case as I hope the portal haul is huge. 

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

There is no max this year, but we'd do a lot better focusing on Portal kids vs taking 12 more commits to get to a normal 25.

We can still build a foundation, but need to focus on now/2023 season which will make recruiting better/easier. Then slowly switch to more HS kids and use the portal to replenish and replace the 6-9 that will transfer each year 

This is an excellent approach to this year. Is the 85 limit still in effect?

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

My understanding is that the 85 rule is but not the 25 per year rule. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

What @Gowebb11said.   85 rule is there, but no limit on kids coming in.

We should be culling the roster heavily to have as many open slots available.  

• Like 1