Harsin declines to address vaccination status

aubiefifty

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

A couple things that I'm not sure everyone realizes: 

1. Nobody is saying that Harsin doesn't have a right to remain unvaccinated or keep his status private. It's just that there are costs associated with decisions. (That's a pretty popular refrain when players make certain decisions.)

2. Holding firm to one's values isn't to be celebrated in and of itself. I need not enumerate those who have held firm to their values in extremely destructive ways. Less dramatically, Gus Malzahn held firm to his beliefs about football offense. Mikey holds firm to believing that 225lb long snappers can play offensive tackle in the SEC. One got fired and another gets made fun of, and there's almost a consensus on both.

Sticking to ideas isn't noble if the ideas are ignoble. I'm not commenting on Harsin's decisions, only pointing out the logical fallacy.

I don’t see Gus Malzahn’s football offense as a “value” myself but that’s just my opinion. Same with Mickeys hard kept “opinion” on long snappers. I think what you didn’t necessarily address in your points is whether it is “in his rights” to not discuss his medical choices.

3 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I’m a lot younger than CBH and in decent shape, not on any medications, and that delta variant kicked my a**. So I highly doubt Harsin’s symptoms would’ve been so mild if he wasn’t vaccinated 

Possibly not that goes back to my point , we just don’t know and that’s the funny thing . This dude could’ve been vaccinated all along or even after he contacted it and there is a 30 page thread about it lol 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I agree, but this vaccination is not considered to be a part of someone's medical history.  He is free to do as he wishes, but choices come with consequences, both good and bad.

Covid vaccination status is protected health information under HIPAA. So a clinic cannot disclose this information. 

However, as you stated, HIPAA does not apply to employers or employee health records. 

(I basically agree with everything you have posted. Just making a clarification because I am annoying). 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I don’t see Gus Malzahn’s football offense as a “value” myself but that’s just my opinion. Same with Mickeys hard kept “opinion” on long snappers. I think what you didn’t necessarily address in your points is whether it is “in his rights” to not discuss his medical choices.

I did address the latter and there's not a meaningful distinction on the former with regards to the point I was making.

28 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

He is free to do as he wishes, but choices come with consequences, both good and bad.

I have tried to google any other time Corporations have fired their employees because they were not vaccinated and I get nothing.  Maybe you know of a time prior to this year where Corporations have colluded with each other to fire employees over a medical decision.

Keep in mind OSHA has not determined their policy on the vaccine.

12 minutes ago, creed said:

For those on here who need to know the answer in any shape, form or fashion I ask why? Will it make you adjust your way of life?

I was one who wished that he had taken the opportunity before the season to publicly take a stance in order to encourage folks to get vaccinated. I am still critical of his decision not to use his platform in that way but not to the point that I need discuss it any further here.

With regards to the football program, I agree with @DAG. It has had no meaningful effect as far as I can tell and I certainly don't think that it is going to going forward.

It is certainly reasonable for someone to think that I have changed my stance because I think he is going to win a bunch of football games. But I don't think that is it. Even if our football team was not showing the kind of progress I wanted, I believe I would be criticizing the football decisions and not anything related to covid or the vaccine.

Hopefully not too self-indulgent of a response to your question.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I've started typing and deleting a few responses and then I realized they'd be the exact same responses to the exact same posts made by the exact same people months ago. Possibly many times.

Same. I've noticed you and I and several others who argued in the last round have remained mostly silent this time. I believe our remarkable restraint is worthy of note AND praise. 

Are we the true heroes? Well, that's for history to decide. 

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think everybody has an opinion and everybody is emotional invested. My issue is the false claims that it is affecting X, Y, and Z. Where is the proof to that?

Like Kyrie Irving status is affecting the Brooklyn Nets because he isn’t allowed in the building and now not a part of the team. 

This is not so with CBH. It is just another piece of literature for us and ESPN to talk about. It definitely doesn’t seem like it is affecting the locker room. It seems to be affecting part of the fanbase who just wants him to tell them. Well that is their personal issue. The guy has said he is not against anyone who is vaccinated and he has bought in leaders to discuss the COVID vaccine. If he is doing all of that and not hindering others and it’s not affecting his job duties at Auburn , I honestly don’t see what the argument is about. 

I really don't think it'll effect the current state of the team.  It's not really too much of a distraction b/c of the players lack of access to media and most of the beat writers aren't going to ask those questions.

I do think think it creates unneeded noise and uncertainty around the program.  That will play into recruiting and 100% coaches will attempt to use that against us.  The deadline is just a few days before NSD, so that brings a massive amount of uncertainty at a very critical time.  I'm sure Harsin has some way to mitigate it...hell he could be vaccinated and just tell the recruits he's good.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

With regards to the football program, I agree with @DAG. It has had no meaningful effect as far as I can tell and I certainly don't think that it is going to going forward.

Still not entirely convinced of this, but I guess I'm on a sinking ship. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

Still not entirely convinced of this, but I guess I'm on a sinking ship. 

I hear ya. But I also hear from sources I trust that recruiting is going really well. We could still lose a player to protocol at an inopportune time. That's a distinct possibility.

Edit: "What would that have to do with Harsin???" Yeah, that's the fight I'm not having again. Internet points to whoever was going to respond with that. You win.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I hear ya. But I also hear from sources I trust that recruiting is going really well. We could still lose a player to protocol at an inopportune time. That's a distinct possibility.

I don't think it will affect recruiting. I was thinking more of Worm at Penn State and the possibility of a similar recurrence. 

• Like 1

Just now, cbo said:

I don't think it will affect recruiting. I was thinking more of Worm at Penn State and the possibility of a similar recurrence. 

No argument here. 

Somehow that felt like a pun.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No argument here. 

Somehow that felt like a pun.

Fine. I'll just argue with myself. We don't even know for sure if Worm had Covid and any team could have a player get Covid. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I didn't give a crap about what you said about Leach. It's your prerogative to worship a football coach. But when you want to call people simps for respecting healthcare workers who were s*** on for the entire pandemic by the right and their refusal to do the simplest of things to keep them safe, that's where I had to step in. But I forgot people like YOU don't give a s*** about anyone but themselves as long as you can say " 'Merica and freedom" in the same sentence.

You can keep that thinking with your anti-vax ass, but when you get sick and need treatment from hospitals

edit

Worship a coach? You prove my point lmao. 

I'm not anti vax, but if I get sick I'll do what I always have and pay someone to take care of me. You know, because they choose to do so to make money. 

14 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

I'm not anti vax, but if I get sick I'll do what I always have and pay someone to take care of me. You know, because they choose to do so to make money. 

I don’t know of any nurses that are in it for the money

Guest MustardSeed
49 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I’m a lot younger than CBH and in decent shape, not on any medications, and that delta variant kicked my a**. So I highly doubt Harsin’s symptoms would’ve been so mild if he wasn’t vaccinated 

Please tell me you’re aware that a very large amount of people test positive and have no symptoms at all?

Just now, abw0004 said:

I know dozens of nurses who wouldn't do the job if it wasn't decent pay/good career.  It's a job. Period. Just because you're paid for doing what you like doesn't not make it a job. I liked my last job but wouldn't do it without the good pay. 

Bck in school for a new career. I like the subject matter, but it's as much about making a living as it is anything else.

Removing the economic aspect of this is stupid as it is a critical part. 

22 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Most of us choose our careers based on value added (mostly to our immediate families).

I hope CBH is vaccinated. I believe in the vaccine. But come on. For all we know this guy is vaccinated. Did anyone stop to think that maybe he’s not telling the media out of principal? There are people that are on a need to know basis, and Joe Goodman, Jay G Tate, B Matt, and Mike G aren’t those people. Auburn’s HR department is.

It’s the principle of the thing, people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1