Harsin declines to address vaccination status

aubiefifty

9 minutes ago, Ryan Sanders said:

I am talking about the consequence of not giving the media what they want. 

There is no piece of evidence that says Harsin is not complying. The only thing we know at this point is that Harsin will not cave to the media gremlins.

As stated by the article, Harsin is choosing to not answer a question in regards to whether he is complying with policy. Why wouldn't the media ask him? It's their job. Harsin comes off poorly by choosing not to answer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

you missed the point. if the kids were pressured to take the vaccine so we can practice and have a chance to play games at full strength is it fair? coaches lead by example. now if harsin told auburn when he was being hired he would not take the vaccine ahead of time then it is on auburn and bot harsin.

Kids being pressured? Is that speculation or fact? Yes coaches lead by example in front of the team and with the team. Every single day. The righteous press has no part in it that relationship whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

As stated by the article, Harsin is choosing to not answer a question in regards to whether he is complying with policy. Why wouldn't the media ask him? It's their job. Harsin comes off poorly by choosing not to answer. 

Actually, I think Harsin early on has said that he will not be talking about the vaccine status of himself or anyone else in the program...it's private.  The fact that the University may have a new policy has no bearing on his initial stance on the subject.  The press can ask all kinds of questions, but if it involves his or anyone else's vax status, the answer should be the same.  To do otherwise would be unprincipled and do more harm to his rep than this.  Take a stance, then hold your ground!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

So now you're shifting your argument from "vaccines give immunity 100% and forever"

OK

I don't remember making an absolute statement like that but if I did I stand corrected.   I have a feeling we are both wasting our time here.  Good luck!   

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, shabby said:

We know this. We know that Harsin is not answering the media's question. We also know that the media will ask these questions by default. Those are facts. 

It's your opinion that Harsin comes off poorly. I personally like that he won't give the media what they want. We are different. That's fine. 

Edit:
Just to add.. I don't care for the media at all. Just want to state that one more time. Why? Because Harsin can be the nicest person in the world to them. He could give them everything they wanted. Detailed injury reports, etc... But as soon as he makes one mistake, they will jump on him like a pack of wolves and try to destroy him. It's much better to not give them much to chew on. As we have seen, they don't need much anyway. They are only your friend if you comply with every request given.

Edited by Ryan Sanders
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

It's really isn't none of our business...and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't think the rule of law is valid. He's protected by HIPPA and by God he can tell you if he wants to. Or not! 

WDE Coach! I support your privacy and don't give a damn what the media or anyone else thinks about it. ;) 

Edited by autigeremt
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, shabby said:

The ultimate consequence should be the same for every employee. whether a groundskeeper or a 5 million a year coach. Not really my business to determine what that is as I don't agree with vaccine mandates for every field. I'm only stating that the University has the right to set the expectation and penalize those that disregard it. Harsin a has a right to follow the policy or accept the consequence of whatever is applied. By choosing to be vague and or not comply he is putting self before team and program.

Actually he is standing for something bigger. Good for him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is just about privacy in general. Unless u are on a secluded island how much privacy do u really have. We are in a age of technology. If a person wants to find out something they can and all it takes is minimal information about u and ur entire profile can be built.

1 hour ago, TJRanger175 said:

After joining this board recently and posting a handful of times, I started to become suspicious that a few posters go out of their way to be negative and argumentative.

This thread removed all doubts.

Some on here haven’t been nearly as active in the last two weeks as they are now. I honestly don’t know what the argument is about here other than some people want it their way and they want it now. Obviously I am vaccinated and I am pro everyone getting vaccinated if you seen my post history but I am definitely not breaking down doors, telling people they should let others know their vaccinated status , public figure or not. I mean if CBH is vaccinated and doesn’t want to share, that is cool. I’ve heard people also say, I don’t know why you wouldn’t want to share if you are vaccinated. Because it is his health and it is a private matter for either or. Dang, you can’t respect that? Lol. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Just now, casatiger said:

I don't remember making an absolute statement like that but if I did I stand corrected.   I have a feeling we are both wasting our time here.  Good luck!   

I've started typing and deleting a few responses and then I realized they'd be the exact same responses to the exact same posts made by the exact same people months ago. Possibly many times.

It's not that someone doesn't understand at this point that, for example, their own mortality isn't even remotely the only only concern with this issue. It's that they just don't care. Sadly, many of those folks have had their minds changed the hard way. But another message board post sure isn't gonna do it.

I guess the good news is I can go around farting in elevators, because the mortality rate for smelling my farts is really low and I'm free to do me. Don't ask me if I'm the one that did it, though. And if you don't like the smell of farts, take the stairs. #HIPAA #personalchoice

• Like 3

Just the fact we have 19 pages of comments on this subject in the middle of the season tells you all you need to know about whether he is making the right decision or not as the Head Coach of Auburn Football.  19 pages of controversy within our ranks is distracting for the fans, and is a huge potential negative for the players and recruits.  I won't check them but I am pretty dang sure on the Bama forums there isn't a huge controversy about Saban being public about his stance on the vaccine.

Edited by rexbo
deleted an extra "the"
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Good post for the most part, although I haven't seen anyone here argue about Covid being real or not. What I have seen is a bunch of people support the right to choose whether they become part of a medical experiment by taking the jab, or choose to take their chances with a virus with a very very high survival rate and then rely on natural immunity. I don't get why people have a problem with it. You do you . I'll do me. What's the issue?

Part of a medical experiment?  What planet is that from?

Just now, rexbo said:

Just the fact we have 19 pages of comments on this subject in the middle of the season tells you all you need to know about whether he is making the right decision or not as the Head Coach of Auburn Football.  19 pages of controversy within our ranks is distracting for the fans, and is a huge potential negative for the the players and recruits.  I won't check them but I am pretty dang sure on the Bama forums there isn't a huge controversy about Saban being public about his stance on the vaccine.

And thus the reason why the bammer media is bringing it up. 

• Like 1

Just now, rexbo said:

Just the fact we have 19 pages of comments on this subject in the middle of the season tells you all you need to know about whether he is making the right decision or not as the Head Coach of Auburn Football.  19 pages of controversy within our ranks is distracting for the fans, and is a huge potential negative for the the players and recruits.  I won't check them but I am pretty dang sure on the Bama forums there isn't a huge controversy about Saban being public about his stance on the vaccine.

This is THE point.  For anyone that thinks this is a worthy distraction, I cannot understand how.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, e808 said:

This is just about privacy in general. Unless u are on a secluded island how much privacy do u really have. We are in a age of technology. If a person wants to find out something they can and all it takes is minimal information about u and ur entire profile can be built.

Still not a reason to conform when the information is protected. If it's so easy to get the information why hasn't it come out yet??? Because it's protected by law. 

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Agree on both counts.  Auburn/Harsin will not answer a single question about it.  There will have to be a FOIA filed to get either his vaccination proof or file exemption

I’m betting that comes under “protected medical information”.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Yet all the head coach has to do is man up and speak his mind.

Oh if Harsin comments on whether he has the vaccine or not it’ll end a long tradition of us Auburn fans being in a constant panic and bi*ching about everything? I guess he should come out and tell us then.

In all seriousness, I am pro covid vaccine and believe that it would benefit our society greatly if more people got it. But nobody should be pressured into telling the media their medical history. Now, it would probably be a good look for him to get and announce it. And If he doesn’t have it and won’t get it, he may have to face the music. But if he doesn’t want to talk about it to the media, he shouldn’t have to. It’s his right as a free human being to talk about that with whomever he chooses.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

It's really isn't none of our business...and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't think the rule of law is valid. He's protected by HIPPA and by God he can tell you if he wants to. Or not! 

WDE Coach! I support your privacy and don't give a damn what the media or anyone else thinks about it. ;) 

The silly part is that this won't remain private.  If he is vaccinated, this is especially lacking in perspective on his part.  This is not his medical information.  This is about compliance with a legal federal mandate. 

Therefore, refusing to discuss it at this point does nothing but create a distraction.  It certainly won't help recruiting and it makes the story something other than his team's and coaching staff's performance.  When Saban is asked if he has gotten his booster yet, he will answer and then he will encourage all people eligible to do the same.  That is called leadership.

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed

The fact that one man with the intestinal fortitude to stand up to the mob creates such heartache and anger in so many speaks VOLUMES and the fact that most of them want him to give up his own values just to please them speaks even louder. 

Also a couple of you aren’t fooling anyone. There are one or two of you who would get on CBH about anything and everything. He is from Boise, his play calling, his recruiting. Those first two check out , the third is trending the right way and now we have the vaccination. Now when nothing comes of this come December and hopefully we have met our goals on and off the field, I can guarantee you these folks will go dormant once again. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, shabby said:

Hey, Shabby; what’s your gender and why won’t you tell?

21 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I’m betting that comes under “protected medical information”.

it's not medical information though...but you could be right that it might fall under protected information.  Like you can't FOIA someone's birthday or specific things.  Do religious exemptions fall under that?  idk, but could see it.

If so, then they'll basically never answer the question and it'll be just an unknown until the end of time

A couple things that I'm not sure everyone realizes: 

1. Nobody is saying that Harsin doesn't have a right to remain unvaccinated or keep his status private. It's just that there are costs associated with decisions. (That's a pretty popular refrain when players make certain decisions.)

2. Holding firm to one's values isn't to be celebrated in and of itself. I need not enumerate those who have held firm to their values in extremely destructive ways. Less dramatically, Gus Malzahn held firm to his beliefs about football offense. Mikey holds firm to believing that 225lb long snappers can play offensive tackle in the SEC. One got fired and another gets made fun of, and there's almost a consensus on both.

Sticking to ideas isn't noble if the ideas are ignoble. I'm not commenting on Harsin's decisions, only pointing out the logical fallacy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Also a couple of you aren’t fooling anyone. There are one or two of you who would get on CBH about anything and everything. He is from Boise, his play calling, his recruiting. Those first two check out , the third is trending the right way and now we have the vaccination. Now when nothing comes of this come December and hopefully we have met our goals on and off the field, I can guarantee you these folks will go dormant once again. 

Wish I had enough history to know who those are.