Post game - Iron Bowl

AUBwins

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

correct me if I am wrong, but a picked up flag on that facemask call on Tank cost us the game.

Or the ill-advised sack on third down by Finley that knocked them out of FG range.

• Like 1

Defense kicked ass the entire game and ST looked good for a change but the offense looked like ass all night.  Everyone saw it so I’ll refrain from naming names but there just aren’t many guys on this offense that should be starting.  We had plenty of chances to win this game but the offense was just no help again. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

How about that format, BTW? I didn’t even know the rule had changed until tonight. I don’t like it at all. 

Good points about expectations. As much as this loss stings, I find it hard to place blame. More than anything, we showed out in front of a packed house and a boat load of top recruits. Hope it translates to commitments 🤞

Great point, there could be many positives from this game. 

The new format feels a little too much like flipping a coin. You can't tell me you decide the better team on a given night based on alternating 2 point conversions. Do not like. 

• Like 1

The good news is that I’m hearing from Lil Mook that Hugh Freeze is coming in to be OC. Done deal, unless this one thing happens to kill the deal, that I can’t specify.  Stay tuned. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Or the ill-advised sack on third down by Finley that knocked them out of FG range.

There were several plays, that could have given us the win. I was glad we had the chance. This wasn't what I expected at all. 

• Like 1

What a rough way to lose … damn

I appreciate the kids and the staff for working there ass off and getting ready for the game. Could have laid down, but didn’t . 

blowing the 3 straight double digit lead is extremely disheartening. Much less to UA. 

Losing is losing . And I hate losing . 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The good news is that I’m hearing from Lil Mook that Hugh Freeze is coming in to be OC. Done deal, unless this one thing happens to kill the deal, that I can’t specify.  Stay tuned. 

Hugh Freeze just got an extension at Liberty. I don't know lil mook, but surely you jest. 

Edited by Farmer Brown
  • Haha 1

I get not wanting to put DD in a situation like that in his first year and have him make a boneheaded play.  But why not have a backup QB ready?  Why not have a wildcat package ready?  Why not ask TJ to make some safe short throws in the 4th Q like we asked him to do in OT?  So many questions.

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Defense maybe not. Definitely plenty of questionable calls from Bobo. 

Agree with that. Bobo doesn't have a ton to work with. But he could have done better. 

9 minutes ago, cbo said:

Plenty of reasons to complain about coaching this season. For me, this game isn't one of them. 

We played so much better than expected. Just check the Iron Bowl prediction thread. The same people who said we would lose by 20 are complaining about losing in 4 OTs. With the dumb OT format, it's almost meaningless to lose after 4. 

Its basically a coin flip after the first two. And just to get my .02, those of you saying we should have gone for 2 after the first OT TD, I get it. But....you know good and well if we did and missed it all sorts of people would be screaming it was the dumbest thing they've ever seen. Likely to be wrong either way. Just is what it is. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cbo said:

To me, the most egregious call was the holding on Hunter's 42  yard play. That play would have been a huge swing and I honestly believe it could have lead to putting the game away. 

I said at the time that phantom call might be a killer. Just terrible…

Just now, cbo said:

Agree with that. Bobo doesn't have a ton to work with. But he could have done better. 

We had 159 yards of total offense. That's awful. The desire to play at hurt QB then not have quick throws and just clearly run the ball until 3rd and long was bad.

That combined with how terrible the offense has been over the last 5-6 games...gotta make a shift

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Somebody is wearing out grandpa’s cough medicine 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Defense kicked ass the entire game and ST looked good for a change but the offense looked like ass all night.  Everyone saw it so I’ll refrain from naming names but there just aren’t many guys on this offense that should be starting.  We had plenty of chances to win this game but the offense was just no help again. 

Not the entire game lol. That little 98 yard td drive played a role you might say. :) But kidding aside, D played lights out and our O is a dumpster fire. 

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

We had 159 yards of total offense. That's awful. The desire to play at hurt QB then not have quick throws and just clearly run the ball until 3rd and long was bad.

That combined with how terrible the offense has been over the last 5-6 games...gotta make a shift

I don’t know of another way here . Bobo has been coaching for years and clearly knows what AU has. His play calls at times are mind boggling. Recruiting will take a hit though , but AU is 33 in the country. Who gives a s*** I guess 

TJ was hurt and we can’t run a wildcat package or zone read with DD or even Loy.  Questionable calls on the offensive side is not a good look. The defense was amazing. 

I hate that we had no plan once Finley got hurt. We made the mistake of given Alabama too much time to work with.

5 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I don’t know of another way here . Bobo has been coaching for years and clearly knows what AU has. His play calls at times are mind boggling. Recruiting will take a hit though , but AU is 33 in the country. Who gives a s*** I guess 

He's just not innovative. He does nothing unique. And he's easily adjusted to which is why we're got shut down literally every game over the last 6 weeks.

We aren't killing it in South GA, so not sure Bobo is really doing much. A lot like Friend 

• Like 1

I don’t believe in moral victories but I have take my hat off to the defense in this one.  Those guys came back from the MSU debacle and fought their guts out today.  They deserved better.  We need an O line, a QB and an O coordinator.  

Bobo was not a popular hire from day one.   No matter what he does people are gonna find fault in what he does because they simply don't like him from his previous job performances.  For example, Bo flat out said that he had 5 pre-snap reads to make on the 4th and 1 play and he chose to throw the fade.  Everyone blames Bobo because one of the routes is a fade.  Personally I was indifferent on the Bobo hire and I don't have much of a problem with his play calling.  I do not think we have the right talent to run the offense that the coaches really want to run. We shall see.  To each their own, I guess.