Dee Davis Transfer Portal

WFE12

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

That would be as idiotic as seeing one video of a player throwing 35 yards and assuming they can only throw 35 yards. We agree. 

I saw him crow hop and heave a ball andnit go 35 yards.  Bird posted a second video of him getting a 10yd running start and launch a ball like a javelin and it went 50.

Both examples prove my point. He has little arm talent. Any deep pass takes all his strength. It isn't easy.

49 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Just bc someone disagrees with you doesn't mean I'm trolling. 

Just bc someone can throw a ball and it's one video, doesn't mean that have SEC caliber arm talent.

You can have a weak arm like Bama’s QB two yeaes ago. But need elite accuracy and ball placement. Two additional things DD struggled with. Mac has a weak arm, but made up for it else where. 

Did u mean to say Mac Jones has a weak arm?

51 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I saw him crow hop and heave a ball andnit go 35 yards.  Bird posted a second video of him getting a 10yd running start and launch a ball like a javelin and it went 50.

Both examples prove my point. He has little arm talent. Any deep pass takes all his strength. It isn't easy.

Was the pass in the ADay game on target? Was the WR he was throwing to 60 yards down field? So if a QB hits a WR 35 yards down field that must mean he can only throw 35 yards? What about the pass that Bird linked?  was the WR 70 yards down field or was he 55 yards away? Did the ball get there?  You can say all you want that it took everything he had to throw it 35 yards but it is clearly false because there is plenty of tape of him throwing farther without cro hopping. In the video Bird posted he also was runnign forward to escape pressure and he then planted his feet and heaved it. I don't see the problem. The kid has an average arm for a college QB. 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Well this has turned into a $#@% thread. God almighty it's only March

It's spring. We are all working through things

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Did u mean to say Mac Jones has a weak arm?

Yes, I did name him in my post 

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Well this has turned into a $#@% thread. God almighty it's only March

Just wait lol. There are so many dbags including myself on this board lol 

can we allow DD to transfer in peace ? 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's spring. We are all working through things

We have been working though things since 2010

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Yes, I did name him in my post 

Ok just wanted confirmation of that. Not sure of your definition of weak.

Edited by NWALA Tiger

12 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So if a QB hits a WR 35 yards down field that must mean he can only throw 35 yards? What about the pass that Bird linked?  was the WR 70 yards down field or was he 55 yards away?

This part was what blew my mind reading the previous page. Unless there was some value in tossing it out of bounds, I’m not sure why Dee would’ve thrown it any further than 55 yards

I also don’t see what’s the value in needling that he could only throw a specific amount of yards…if the guy only posed it as “Dee has a weak arm” that might’ve gone differently than “that pass only traveled 30 yards!! He can’t throw any further, see” 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This part was what blew my mind reading the previous page. Unless there was some value in tossing it out of bounds, I’m not sure why Dee would’ve thrown it any further than 55 yards

I also don’t see what’s the value in needling that he could only throw a specific amount of yards…if the guy only posed it as “Dee has a weak arm” that might’ve gone differently than “that pass only traveled 30 yards!! He can’t throw any further, see” 

exactly. The truth of the matter is, Some QBS could go their entire career without ever having to throw the ball further than 55 yards.

• Like 1

Why is the board arguing whether a strong arm is important...and whether or not Dee's arm is strong enough to not throw passes for AU next year?

Edited by AUDevil
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Why is the board arguing whether a strong is important...and whether or not Dee's arm is strong enough to not throw passes for AU next year?

The most entertaining and thrilling part of AU football the last several years has been choosing a side in a pointless argument on here and driving that vehicle til the wheels come off!

• Like 2

I am so proud of Malik Willis for working on his craft and potentially working his way into the first round of the draft. Who says being able to throw the ball 60 yards isn't important? huh

Edited by maryland tiger

16 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

I am so proud of Malik Willis for working on his craft and potentially working his way into the first round of the draft. Who says being able to throw the ball 60 yards isn't important? huh

LOL I dont think anyone has ever said that. I love what has become of Malik Willis. 

• Like 1

To all of the people, mainly one person, who said DD was not an SEC QB. Would you have ever thought that Malik Willis, after this spring game performance, would be considered a first round pick? Probably not! Malik doesn't look like an SEC QB, from this spring game, but with the proper coaching he has now positioned himself to be one of the first QBs taken. Some of you arm chair coaches really need to stop!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

To all of the people, mainly one person, who said DD was not an SEC QB. Would you have ever thought that Malik Willis, after this spring game performance, would be considered a first round pick? Probably not! Malik doesn't look like an SEC QB, from this spring game, but with the proper coaching he has now positioned himself to be one of the first QBs taken. Some of you arm chair coaches really need to stop!

You are comparing an apple to a loaf of bread and completely missing the entire nuance of what you are trying to compare.

Malik Willis is a 1st round pick because he possesses elite physical tools. Even today, after his time spent at Liberty, he is still raw and will need significant NFL coaching.

What makes Willis the talent that he is is the fact that he has arguably the best arm-strength in his draft class and is a freakishly good athlete/runner at QB as well. This makes him an incredibly high-upside talent, which is why despite his rawness as a passer (reading defenses, progressions, etc) he is poised to go Top 10 in the draft.

You can't "coach" his talent. What about this is confusing? He didn't get coached at Liberty into having a rocket-launcher for an arm, or coached into being a ~4.4 forty runner with natural vision and playmaking ability with his legs.

Dee Davis has absolutely none of those tools going for him. He is considerably smaller than Willis, is nowhere near as fast, and his arm-strength is average at best (and that is being generous). The other thing that you are completely missing is that Willis came to college with barely any QB experience - his Senior season in HS was the first time he took real reps as a starter at QB. This means that it is understandable that it took him time to "develop" his way into what he is now, because he was basically a converted ATH - hence why most schools recruited him as such out of HS. Dee Davis on the other hand was what, a 3-4 years HS starter on a hugely successful HS team? This means that it is considerably more worrying that he supposedly has accuracy issues or turnover issues - because he already has significant reps under his belt. He's not new to the position.

The point that you (and many others) are missing is that Davis just doesn't have starting QB traits. Period. He is tiny, has an OK arm, supposedly isn't very accurate or consistent, and he is just a good but not great athlete. This means that he has a severe cap on his actual upside. You can't coach a guy into having starter-caliber traits. For someone like him to be successful, he needs to be otherworldly in terms of the intricacies of throwing the football - but he's not. And those aren't qualities that are generally "coachable". The list of NFL QB's who are sub 5'10, have OK speed, and are just average in terms of accuracy is basically ZERO. Kyler Murray is a freak athlete with a considerably better arm than Davis possesses.

If a guy doesn't have the physical tools to excel, it doesn't matter how much "coaching" he gets. It's as silly as suggesting that your 5'7 170 pound walk-on RB with 4.6 speed can be coached or work his way into being a starting SEC RB. A guy like Willis who has freakish natural tools can be coached into being great, or maybe just needs reps to develop. A guy with below-average physical tools can not and does not fall under the same category.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRAP said:

You are comparing an apple to a loaf of bread and completely missing the entire nuance of what you are trying to compare.

Malik Willis is a 1st round pick because he possesses elite physical tools. Even today, after his time spent at Liberty, he is still raw and will need significant NFL coaching.

What makes Willis the talent that he is is the fact that he has arguably the best arm-strength in his draft class and is a freakishly good athlete/runner at QB as well. This makes him an incredibly high-upside talent, which is why despite his rawness as a passer (reading defenses, progressions, etc) he is poised to go Top 10 in the draft.

You can't "coach" his talent. What about this is confusing? He didn't get coached at Liberty into having a rocket-launcher for an arm, or coached into being a ~4.4 forty runner with natural vision and playmaking ability with his legs.

Dee Davis has absolutely none of those tools going for him. He is considerably smaller than Willis, is nowhere near as fast, and his arm-strength is average at best (and that is being generous). The other thing that you are completely missing is that Willis came to college with barely any QB experience - his Senior season in HS was the first time he took real reps as a starter at QB. This means that it is understandable that it took him time to "develop" his way into what he is now, because he was basically a converted ATH - hence why most schools recruited him as such out of HS. Dee Davis on the other hand was what, a 3-4 years HS starter on a hugely successful HS team? This means that it is considerably more worrying that he supposedly has accuracy issues or turnover issues - because he already has significant reps under his belt. He's not new to the position.

The point that you (and many others) are missing is that Davis just doesn't have starting QB traits. Period. He is tiny, has an OK arm, supposedly isn't very accurate or consistent, and he is just a good but not great athlete. This means that he has a severe cap on his actual upside. You can't coach a guy into having starter-caliber traits. For someone like him to be successful, he needs to be otherworldly in terms of the intricacies of throwing the football - but he's not. And those aren't qualities that are generally "coachable". The list of NFL QB's who are sub 5'10, have OK speed, and are just average in terms of accuracy is basically ZERO. Kyler Murray is a freak athlete with a considerably better arm than Davis possesses.

If a guy doesn't have the physical tools to excel, it doesn't matter how much "coaching" he gets. It's as silly as suggesting that your 5'7 170 pound walk-on RB with 4.6 speed can be coached or work his way into being a starting SEC RB. A guy like Willis who has freakish natural tools can be coached into being great, or maybe just needs reps to develop. A guy with below-average physical tools can not and does not fall under the same category.

Be truthful, from the video of Mailk at A-Day, would you honestly have thought he was SEC or even NFL talent? Probably not! 

Just now, maryland tiger said:

Be truthful, from the video of Mailk at A-Day, would you honestly have thought he was SEC or even NFL talent? Probably not! 

Way to read or understand the post.

No, I did not think he was an SEC or NFL talent.

But that doesn't matter because he always had the tools to somehow become that.

Dee Davis does not. So you can hope and pray and wish all you want; a kid who is ~5'8-5'9 with tiny hands, OK speed, and an OK arm is not going to somehow magically turn into a 1st round pick. If he had elite accuracy or pass-throwing ability he would have shown those traits by now; instead he was fighting for walk-ons for practice reps. That tells as lot.

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2022 at 12:18 PM, WarEagle1983 said:

But how do we know this if he didn't get a chance to show it in live action? The same was said about Malik but he has proven differently. At this point when it comes to QBs at AU i don't believe the intel until it's shown on the field to be true or not that a QB doesn't have what it takes. 

Because Malik didn't show accuracy in live action, neither at scrimmages nor the few times he played in a game.  And Malik specifically has said that the reason he wasn't successful at Auburn was that he was immature and didn't put in the work he needed to to get better.  I would probably add that even if he had, the ceiling under Gus was going to be low because of CGM's track record developing HS QBs here.  But either way, it wasn't a matter of Malik being awesome and not getting a chance to shine.  He left and he changed at Liberty.  He did the work.  And he got better coaching and play calling and blossomed.

Maybe Dee can do the same.  But he started the spring third or fourth on the depth chart behind TJ and Calzada (and perhaps the Oregon transfer kid).  By all reports, he's fallen behind even true freshman Greiner.  Even after a year of coaching by Bobo who has a good track record with QBs (and did improve Bo Nix a decent amount).

On 3/24/2022 at 12:18 PM, WarEagle1983 said:

Who knows if DD was the answer to our question but I still don't understand why he wasn't given at least 1 series to see what he could do when we clearly didn't have an answer at QB. 

Some guys are just gamers and may not look great in practice. And vice versa. I don't see why DD could be a repeat of Malik if he goes to the right place that will actually give him an opportunity. I don't think he was given a real opportunity here for many reasons but he stayed loyal as long as he could. 

Maybe he will.  There's just nothing that would indicate that's the case. It's more a statement of faith.  You don't just throw true freshmen out there to the wolves in the SEC unless they give you some indication they are ready - a firm grasp of the offense, *some* production in practice and scrimmages that indicate they can get the job done.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRAP said:

Way to read or understand the post.

No, I did not think he was an SEC or NFL talent.

But that doesn't matter because he always had the tools to somehow become that.

Dee Davis does not. So you can hope and pray and wish all you want; a kid who is ~5'8-5'9 with tiny hands, OK speed, and an OK arm is not going to somehow magically turn into a 1st round pick. If he had elite accuracy or pass-throwing ability he would have shown those traits by now; instead he was fighting for walk-ons for practice reps. That tells as lot.

Tiny hands …anything else we need to add 😂

Edited by PoetTiger

14 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

He had a pretty long throw back in 2017 iirc. I could be conflating him with JF3's throw vs Alabama a couple years prior though