track and field coach retiring

aubiefifty

coach spivey is leaving and some are cheering. i never heard a word about the man but a whole lot of people are cheering. anyway i hope this is not old news to our board because it posted elsewhere earlier this month.

Auburn Track and Field Alum,

Greetings, I hope this finds you well! I am reaching out to you today to let you know that this outdoor season will be my last as head coach of the Auburn Track and Field program. I’ve been very blessed to have overseen the program the last 25 years, but after a lot of self-reflecting and thought over the last several months, I decided it was time retire at the conclusion of this season. It is always difficult to leave something that is close to your heart, but I am and will always be an Auburn Tiger. I’m so thankful to have coached so many of you or get to know you over the years. Coaching has been my life, but what has brought me even greater joy has been helping student-athletes develop, grow and mature into men and women who leave Auburn and become successful in their respective journeys through life. We have achieved a tremendous amount of success not only during my 25 years at Auburn, but during the storied history of Auburn track and field. I know that Athletic Director Allen Greene and his team will find an individual to lead this program to continued success moving forward. I am looking forward to the next chapter of my life, but as I mentioned earlier, I am and will always be an Auburn Tiger! Please know, that I will always be here for you if you need me. A public announcement will be coming today to officially announce my retirement. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me at spryral@auburn.edu or at (334) 750-0951.

Thank you and War Eagle!

• Like 1

Ralph Spry. His women's team won the NCAA Championship several years back. That was a first and only for Auburn. One year the men would have won it had our shot putter had only average throws for him, but he simply crashed and burned at the NCAA meet. Other than that, to all appearances Coach Spry ran a clean program and his kids stayed out of the news but the results were average at best.

• Like 1

Sounds like a very good man who ran a very clean program but was not able to get Auburn near the top on a consistent basis. He has been a true Auburn man and I thank him for his service to Auburn. This is an opportunity to upgrade our Track and field Program. I remember Mel Rosen and what he brought to Auburn. I don't follow Track and Field that much but this search is key to getting Auburn near the top again as we are slowly becoming an All round very good athletic program as we seem to be improving with most of our recent hires.

12 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

as we are slowly becoming an All round very good athletic program as we seem to be improving with most of our recent hires.

AKA 'We're an everything school'