10 Wins?

AUinMS9528

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

And cheap….water

Lol. I love it. I wish I had your optimism. I always have hope but not always optimism- that is definitely the case this year. Cheers 🍻!

5 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

If there is no one of equal or better tallent to replace him, then obviously it's a -. 

That's how this works. 

Gonna go with Hank on this one. Nothing against Brahms. Seems like he's worked hard and done everything he can to recover from several injuries. Just bad luck for him. But I can't see how anyone would call him irreplaceable. 

Who knows if the replacement will be better, but it is certainly possible. Way too early to call this one a minus. 

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

So why the change of heart?  Why are you now holding CBH to the standard you refused to hold CGM to? 

Like I said, your support is noted. 

Gus did some very good things at Auburn. He also made some mistakes  Harsin got his mistakes in ahead of accomplishing anything good. Therein lies the difference.

11 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

It appears Mikey does not believe in learning from previous mistakes.  

What previous mistakes are you referring to? I don't consider being realistic to be a mistake if that's what troubles you.

8 hours ago, cbo said:

Gonna go with Hank on this one. Nothing against Brahms. Seems like he's worked hard and done everything he can to recover from several injuries. Just bad luck for him. But I can't see how anyone would call him irreplaceable. 

Who knows if the replacement will be better, but it is certainly possible. Way too early to call this one a minus. 

No one called him irreplaceable. There are a wwhhhhooooollllleeeeee lot of centers we would trade for in a second. 

However his replacement has been demonstrably worse hence why he was behind Brahms. It wouldnt be hard for a replacement to one day be better, but for now, Auburn is worse 

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Gus did some very good things at Auburn. He also made some mistakes  Harsin got his mistakes in ahead of accomplishing anything good. Therein lies the difference.

What previous mistakes are you referring to? I don't consider being realistic to be a mistake if that's what troubles you.

I’m not talking about your mistakes, I’m referring to you not giving Harsin the opportunity to correct HIS mistakes made in his FIRST year as a SEC coach.

To your comment to bigbird; Gus already had three years of experience in the SEC before accepting the HC job at Auburn and he was very familiar with the personnel when he arrived.  All this to say; Harsin deserves the opportunity to grow without condemnation of the fans for at least another year IMO.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/25/2022 at 9:26 AM, Mikey said:

Who wins close games usually depends on coaching decisions that are made in the closing minutes. There will have to be vast improvement in that area before AU wins seven or more games.

I don't mean to crap all over a coach, but jetting Mike Bobo provides at least a 50% chance of improvement IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

All this to say; Harsin deserves the opportunity to grow without condemnation of the fans for at least another year IMO.

Well and good, but when does this growth start?

AU is currently 13th out of 14 in the SEC in recruiting, 61st nationally (Rivals). This is Harsin's third class. (I guess make that 2&1/2 classes since someone will be picky)

The hand-picked QB from the portal is currently running 3rd string.

When will the improvements start? We are 20 months into this experiment and something visible should be obvious by now.

Look, I personally like Harsin. He's a throwback coach to an earlier era, my era. Does that work these days? If it will the results are not yet apparent. It's past time to see something meaningful. To date all we have is talk about "culture" and one apparently outstanding hire in Ike Hillyard.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, AUinMS9528 said:

This seems like a stretch.   🤷‍♂️

Why? We have had certain presidents that I personally liked but also thought shouldn't be president. I had a professor in JUCO that was lots of fun but had no business being a college professor. Surely you can find similar situations in your personal life?

35 minutes ago, Mikey said:

When will the improvements start?

They have. You just refuse to admit or realize they have.

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

They have. You just refuse to admit or realize they have.

I'll admit there have been improvements when I realize that there have actually been improvements. So far there's been nothing but talk about "culture". Talk's cheap. When is a recruiting class that will make us competitive going to be signed? When will AU finish in even the top half of the SEC West? Neither one of those things seem to be in our immediate future.

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'll admit there have been improvements when I realize that there have actually been improvements.

Intentionally blind is quite becoming.

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Intentionally blind is quite becoming.

Name the improvements. Something solid, not talk. I'll give hiring Ike Hillyard is an improvement. One assistant coach hiring isn't much to show for 20 months on the job.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

AU is currently 13th out of 14 in the SEC in recruiting, 61st nationally (Rivals). This is Harsin's third class. (I guess make that 2&1/2 classes since someone will be picky)

The hand-picked QB from the portal is currently running 3rd string.

When will the improvements start? We are 20 months into this experiment and something visible should be obvious by now.

Look, I personally like Harsin. He's a throwback coach to an earlier era, my era. Does that work these days? If it will the results are not yet apparent. It's past time to see something meaningful. To date all we have is talk about "culture" and one apparently outstanding hire in Ike Hillyard.

I was thinking he brought in all the existing QB’s in that room.

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

I was thinking he brought in all the existing QB’s in that room.

Yes he did. Which one of them has been mentioned on any sort of all-SEC roster? Which of them would be starting at any of the top-tier SEC teams? We should all hope that one of them excells but that is nothing but hopes and wishes at this point.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:31 PM, Mikey said:

Name the improvements. Something solid, not talk. I'll give hiring Ike Hillyard is an improvement. One assistant coach hiring isn't much to show for 20 months on the job.

I thought he coached up Bo pretty well last year. He appeared to be playing better mechanically at times than he had in his first two seasons according to people who know football. So maybe that is one? Though you could say that was Bobo not Harsin

another I could think of would be the strength and conditioning program, I think where the player’s bodies are now development wise has them more prepared for the NFL. 

Overall, QB depth is an improvement, quality has is TBD but the depth is better than a room of Bo, Loy and DD. 

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 3:58 PM, Hank2020 said:

Not sure if you are correct or not but a great deal of conversation on here was that Brahms was a liability as he could not get stronger due to injury, and was grading out low due to lack of power. Now his apparent loss is being heralded as a minus. No winning with some.

I'll leave you to debate the OL with Cubelic.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes he did. Which one of them has been mentioned on any sort of all-SEC roster? Which of them would be starting at any of the top-tier SEC teams? We should all hope that one of them excells but that is nothing but hopes and wishes at this point.

Hope this is not too personal for you. I am not sure why I keep trying to respond to your negativity. You just have a ridiculous outlook on AU football at this point. Have an enjoyable season but I realize if you have one most other fans will be disappointed.

12 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Hope this is not too personal for you. I am not sure why I keep trying to respond to your negativity. You just have a ridiculous outlook on AU football at this point. Have an enjoyable season but I realize if you have one most other fans will be disappointed.

I, along with a lot of other AU fans will  have a very enjoyable season if AU finishes 15-0. Even 8-4 would be a very pleasant surprise. Why is it so difficult for people to understand that desires (a highly successful season for Auburn football) and expectations (a not so hot season) are not mutually exclusive? A person can want one thing and expect another. It's not that uncommon.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 5

As for the Brahms debate:   He was a liability because of strength/power/not a great blocker.    Losing him could potentially be a minus because his knowledge and experience got us in the right checks and reads.   His replacement will have very little to no game experience at C and may not do as well leading the OL even if he is a better pure blocker.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mikey said:

I believe the first thing that needs to happen is to win on the field.   That is the best way to pick up the momentum of the program and in turn improve recruiting.  Harsin has had players come back to the program for another year and if those players can sell the vision to the younger ones, I believe improvement can start as soon as this fall.

This, obviously, is a pivotal year for the program, not just Harsin.  The program has to show improvement, otherwise, the outlook is not good.  The only thing the fans have control over is their outlook.  We have a choice of either getting on board or being a prognosticator of doom and gloom.

I just can’t go through life anymore in such a negative way after the last few seasons.

Edited by I_M4_AU