Candidates No One Mentioned

AUght2win

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Dude, we were a win away from being the only 2 loss team to ever make the playoff in 2017, and we would have gotten in as the 2 seed.

Schedule is nothing but an excuse for losing mentality.  Get better and the schedule magically doesn't look so hard.

Not having to play the SECC would actually be a benefit to us, but 2017 is why I have the stance I do. We did we simply did not have the legs.

We would have been #7 and hosted Miami in the first round that year.

Now, we were 10-2 and #2 going into the SECC, so it's theoretically possible that we could get into the top 4 without having to play the SECC? Maybe?

Edited by AUwent

Just now, AUwent said:

Partially correct. Not having to play the SECC would actually be a benefit to us, but 2017 is why I have the stance I do. After playing as tough a schedule as we did we simply did not have the legs.

Our best player got hurt.  It happens.  But we were down 6 at the start of the 4th quarter in the SECC.  We simply blew it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Dude, we were a win away from being the only 2 loss team to ever make the playoff in 2017, and we would have gotten in as the 2 seed.

Schedule is nothing but an excuse for losing mentality.  Get better and the schedule magically doesn't look so hard.

While I do agree, I can't help but to always ask myself if Dabo would have been that successful had he taken over at Florida or Ole Miss.  I think not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

He and the Texas Tech coaches were great high school coaches before moving up. Unfortunately, many people on boards act as though teaching and coaching in high school makes someone an idiot when it comes to doing the same at the college level. The irony is that those same people speak from a podium of judgment as though they have more knowledge about the game.

kisses-i-love-you.gif

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Our best player got hurt.  It happens.  But we were down 6 at the start of the 4th quarter in the SECC.  We simply blew it.

Injuries like Kerryon's tend to happen when you play that tough a schedule. At the end of the day, Baylor is going to have a vastly easier road to the playoff. I will be more than happy if you're right. But as is, hosting a first round game roughly twice in a ten year stretch would be a very reasonable goal to have.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Oh the Pac will be worse. ACC debatable.

Why? I mean it’s debatable for sure but the Pac 12 still seems much better positioned.

The PAC will still have Oregon, who will be better than any remaining B12 team. They’ll also have Utah, Cal, Washington, Arizona State, Colorado. The Big 12 will have the Kansas schools, the lesser Texas schools, and Oklahoma State. 

There’s a reason the Big 12 is desperately reaching for all these small programs and the PAC 12 isn’t.

11 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Why? I mean it’s debatable for sure but the Pac 12 still seems much better positioned.

The PAC will still have Oregon, who will be better than any remaining B12 team. They’ll also have Utah, Cal, Washington, Arizona State, Colorado. The Big 12 will have the Kansas schools, the lesser Texas schools, and Oklahoma State. 

There’s a reason the Big 12 is desperately reaching for all these small programs and the PAC 12 isn’t.

Its been reported that Oregon and Washington, at minimum, are in talks with the Big 10.

USC and UCLA want some other weat coast teams with them to help with travel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Its been reported that Oregon and Washington, at minimum, are in talks with the Big 10.

USC and UCLA want some other weat coast teams with them to help with travel.

If that happens, then of course. But as it stands, I’d take the PAC 12. I’m also skeptical USC and UCLA ever play a game in the BIG 10. Someone who is going to have to foot the bill and endure all those horrible plane rides is going to throw the brakes on it. 

Can you imagine being on the USC basketball team? You’ve got to fly to Maryland for a Wednesday game. Back for classes on Wednesday and Thursday. Fly to State College for a game against PSU on Saturday. Fly back Sunday. Rinse and repeat. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

If that happens, then of course. But as it stands, I’d take the PAC 12. I’m also skeptical USC and UCLA ever play a game in the BIG 10. Someone who is going to have to foot the bill and endure all those horrible plane rides is going to throw the brakes on it. 

Can you imagine being on the USC basketball team? You’ve got to fly to Maryland for a Wednesday game. Back for classes on Wednesday and Thursday. Fly to State College for a game against PSU on Saturday. Fly back Sunday. Rinse and repeat. 

They're gonna get $80M+ per year in the Big 10.  USC and UCLA are gone.

It sucks for the athletes for all that travel, but the money is absurd.

39 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Getting to the playoff and winning the playoff are huge differences.  You can't win it at Baylor.  You can at Auburn.

The money and access is going to be in the Big 10 and SEC.  If you can get a big time job in one of those conferences, you take it 

Possibly on winning the playoff . But you’ve got to get there to win it. Which means you have to beat LSU, UGA, Bama, then UGA again the the SECCG. Soon throw in OU and Texas. Meanwhile we’re limping to low tier bowl games,  losing to teams from the Big 10 and AAC, and facing a complete rebuild soon. Aranda and Gundy would be crazy to leave their current path for the one we have. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Possibly on winning the playoff . But you’ve got to get there to win it. Which means you have to beat LSU, UGA, Bama, then UGA again the the SECCG. Soon throw in OU and Texas. Meanwhile we’re limping to low tier bowl games,  losing to teams from the Big 10 and AAC, and facing a complete rebuild soon. Aranda and Gundy would be crazy to leave their current path for the one we have. 

Thank you. At this point, I'll be incredibly thankful if we can pull Dell as HC.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

We're about to be in a world where 9-3 very likely gets you into the playoff.  All former calibrations on schedule have to be reconsidered.

And if all things are equal, the talent you can get at Auburn is just so much better than Okie State or Baylor, meaning you can win the whole thing.  Just depends on what a coach wants:

An easier path to it with no chance of winning, or

A tougher path but with a shot to take the whole thing

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Interesting tidbit.

TCU is absolutely embarrassing Oklahoma right now. Something like 600-700 yards of offense with a quarter to go. 

TCU’s OC is Lincoln Riley’s younger brother. He’d be a penny stock for sure but if he’s even close to his brother he might be worth an interview.

Don’t know if he has Lincoln’s football photographic memory though.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

We're about to be in a world where 9-3 very likely gets you into the playoff. 

I'll take that!

47 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Interesting tidbit.

TCU is absolutely embarrassing Oklahoma right now. Something like 600-700 yards of offense with a quarter to go. 

TCU’s OC is Lincoln Riley’s younger brother. He’d be a penny stock for sure but if he’s even close to his brother he might be worth an interview.

Not the first time I've heard of this guy. He definitely deserves a call. You been on fire referencing original names. Tired of seeing the same retreads.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Counter point:

Ted Roof is the DC at Oklahoma.

Counter-counter point:

Brett Venables is the head coach at Oklahoma, and Roof worked for Venables as an analyst last year.

Venables is clearly modeling his career on Gene Chizik.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Counter-counter point:

Brett Venables is the head coach at Oklahoma, and Roof worked for Venables as an analyst last year.

Venables is clearly modeling his career on Gene Chizik.

OU or Clemson are my two most hated teams (currently) outside the SEC so it would make me feel warm and fuzzy to see BV fall flat.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Interesting tidbit.

Why couldn’t a new AU HC pursue Garrett Riley as for our OC position?

Riley has ties to Dyke, but has also coached elsewhere.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not the first time I've heard of this guy. He definitely deserves a call. You been on fire referencing original names. Tired of seeing the same retreads.

Thanks bro. Too many coaches out there for a winner to NOT be in the bunch. I don’t know who I necessarily want but the larger the pool, the better the chances.

47 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

They're gonna get $80M+ per year in the Big 10.  USC and UCLA are gone.

It sucks for the athletes for all that travel, but the money is absurd.

I just don’t think it’ll be feasible for student athletes. Unless they can get five or six of these western schools to sign on, and therefore have basically a western division, I think it’ll fall through. 

I think the NBA does this too, but I know the MLB is smart about travel. They have games where a team like the Mariners will hit the Northeast teams (Boston, NYY, Orioles) or the Southeast teams (Rays, and/or IL games against Braves/Marlins) in a single road trip. They make the games count by just not returning home - the Mariners may be away from Seattle for 10-14 days a couple times a season. This keeps the travel fatigue low and saves money.

Can’t do that in college. Kids gotta go to class. And you especially can’t do it in football where there are entire weeks between games. I think these AD’s are seeing dollar signs and not accounting for the misery it’s going to bring to their actual employees and students.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

I hope you're right but I'm expecting you'll be eating a hat. Baylor is set up to be king of the Big 12 and therefore a very easy path to the playoff, meanwhile we have to play the two best programs in the country every year--and somehow always seem to stumble upon an OOC opponent when they become a powerhouse (we have home and homes with Baylor, UCLA and Miami on the docket).

Queen.......Oklahoma State is King of the Big 12 now.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AUwent said:

OU or Clemson are my two most hated teams (currently) outside the SEC so it would make me feel warm and fuzzy to see BV fall flat.

He seems to be mid air at this point