Men vs Houston NCAA Tournament RD2 Game Thread

Maverick.AU

Just now, cole256 said:

I could be wrong but westry looks to be a pure scorer to me. Essentially a taller green. We need a point. Westry isn't solving any of the setting up or pacing problems imo.

That back up guy who played was the answer, if he can get more consistent or work on whatever Pearl tells him he needs to do to see the floor. It's night and day the way we looked with him or the Missouri game when green played like that

I don't disagree with any of that, but Green might have had less pressure if there was a legit shooter at the other guard position. But that's just a guess on my part.

20 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I don't disagree with any of that, but Green might have had less pressure if there was a legit shooter at the other guard position. But that's just a guess on my part.

Absolutely would help. I guess I'm just saying it wouldn't fix everything, but I guess you didn't say it would either. 

I think it would be less pressure, I think they would have been fighting over the ball too. And I'm positive there would have been a lot more turnovers

Just now, cole256 said:

Absolutely would help. I guess I'm just saying it wouldn't fix everything, but I guess you didn't say it would either. 

I think it would be less pressure, I think they would have been fighting over the ball too. And I'm positive there would have been a lot more turnovers

Not sure about the last sentence or ball fighting, but I have seen teams where there's not enough basketballs to go around, so maybe. I totally agree with you on Tre D. He's a pass first point guard with decent 3 point potential. I think this year was really good for him and he will be much more confident next year. We shall see. 

48 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I'm just saying that we got it the first time you said it. I may not have even disagreed with it. But somewhere between games 5 and 15. It got old. As my schtick is so I'll quit now.

By the way, a healthy Westry changes everything IMO. 

This has been re-hashed multiple times, so I won't go into great detail, but those points by me and many others were be-labored multiple times because there was a small contingent on here that would ignore/deny those problems, and then get mad at us for criticizing BP. I even had the argument thrown at me that our guards were fine, just needed some refining and consistency (oh and to learn how to improve their FG% by 10-15 points, but who cares about that). From where I am from, that usually means those people either didn't agree or didn't understand my point. So the discussion continued...like it does on every message board in the world.

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

This has been re-hashed multiple times, so I won't go into great detail, but those points by me and many others were be-labored multiple times because there was a small contingent on here that would ignore/deny those problems, and then get mad at us for criticizing BP. I even had the argument thrown at me that our guards were fine, just needed some refining and consistency (oh and to learn how to improve their FG% by 10-15 points, but who cares about that). From where I am from, that usually means those people either didn't agree or didn't understand my point. So the discussion continued...like it does on every message board in the world.

Wasting your time bro..  maybe we will start 4 mid major transfers next year. And me and u will be expected to be cool with it

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Wasting your time bro..  maybe we will start 4 mid major transfers next year. And me and u will be expected to be cool with it

God I hope not

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

AD84C231-4AC5-4AF8-8D4D-3CBEB540861C.gif

Edited by abw0004

On 3/19/2023 at 12:33 PM, alexava said:

Stop practicing free throws. Just wing it. We have been a bad FT team for 30 years (few exceptions). I’m sure every coach just practices them more or different. Never tried not shooting them. I’m 50, haven’t touched a basketball in a year and I will bet my 401k I can shoot over50% right now. 

At some point a player has to take his piss poor FT shooting personally and he has to make a choice to put in the time and effort to improve on his own.  Coaches don't have the time to waste limited and valuable practice time having players working on FT's, the player should have the motivation & initiative to do that on his own. 

Frankly, if I were on a SEC scholly + a stipend + a handsome NIL package, I'd be embarrassed as hell if I sucked and couldn't do my part from the charity line. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

At some point a player has to take his piss poor FT shooting personally and he has to make a choice to put in the time and effort to improve on his own.  Coaches don't have the time to waste limited and valuable practice time having players working on FT's, the player should have the motivation & initiative to do that on his own. 

Frankly, if I were on a SEC scholly + a stipend + a handsome NIL package, I'd be embarrassed as hell if I sucked and couldn't do my part from the charity line. 

The gym is open for them to shoot all they want on their own. But don’t waste organized time on it. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 11:17 AM, DAG said:

Honestly , what is killing these boards is not negativism. It is blind loyalty. Blind loyalty to new coaches , blind loyalty to old coaches. There is no room for fair objectivity and if you do provide constructive criticism (key word, constructive, not just personal vendetta) it is met with stark rebuking. If it’s all group think and no varying opinion, then what is the point?

@KansasTigerand I have had polar opposite opinions on the football forum , but at the end of the day , I like to believe we have respect among each as posters because at least we can acknowledge when fair criticism is being afforded. Same goes for me and @cole256, @aubiefifty, @NWALA Tiger, @Tigerpro2a,  etc. 

I am sure there is a host of others…we have agreed and disagreed, it makes this place beautiful, IMO.

^^^^^This^^^^^^

You and I have had our share of differences, as I have with most of the other names you listed, but at the end of the day I know that you respect my opinion even if you disagree as I do yours. 

On 3/19/2023 at 4:06 PM, Maverick.AU said:

I disagree, this has nothing to deal with coach loyalty, back when great posters like 72 used to post on this forum (as a whole) there were some great debates and that's what made this forum beautiful. what u have now is people in the forums seeing how much s*** they can throw at each other, rather than debating. That's where I have come to my breaking point, it has become, let's see how big of a holes we can be and try to dump on other members of the forum. It's gotten real old.  And I don't mean this towards u dag so please don't take it that way. I just mean in general. 

I think it's a combination of what Dag said as well as some of what you said. A lot of people here can't stomach the fact that someone else may have a different opinion.

Many just want to be right so badly. They get proven wrong or called out then they have a personal vendetta against that poster. Then we have the problem with the "cliques" as @cole256 put it.

We also have those that will continuously boast anytime they were right about something...or if a poster is proven wrong on something, some will hold that over there head the rest of their time here as if because they were wrong on one topic, then nothing they say holds any water anymore.

All these tendencies combined can be a bit much.

edit- People are often times too proud to admit when they were wrong as well. I have gotten into heated debates on here about things and then come back and admit I was wrong. Sometimes if it got to a level I didn't feel I handled properly I would reach out via PM just to square things up. Swallow your pride folks! We all love the same thing for the most part or we wouldn't be here!

Edited by Tigerpro2a
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, alexava said:

The gym is open for them to shoot all they want on their own. But don’t waste organized time on it. 

Actually surprisingly that's not true. Or at least it wasn't. Maybe it's different now. But I was appalled at that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Actually surprisingly that's not true. Or at least it wasn't. Maybe it's different now. But I was appalled at that.

I think you’re right on this. I thought this is why AU men’s bball wanted a dedicated men’s bbal gym or a dedicated bball gym for men and women, but I thought they had to share the arena with all sorts of other people/programs.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Actually I was just saying what I would hypothetically do if I was the coach. But I am surprised that they don’t have access 24/7 to work on their craft. 

On 3/20/2023 at 10:29 PM, alexava said:

Actually I was just saying what I would hypothetically do if I was the coach. But I am surprised that they don’t have access 24/7 to work on their craft. 

IF AU's gym is occupied what's wrong with one of the AU rec centers, a local school, church gym, an outdoor court. :dunno:

Many programs shoot FT's very well and have nowhere close to our grand facilities. IMHO, FT shooting is a personal effort. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

IF AU's gym is occupied what's wrong with one of the AU rec centers, a local school, church gym, an outdoor court. :dunno:

Many programs shoot FT's very well and have nowhere close to our grand facilities. IMHO, FT shooting is a personal effort. 

Unfortunately there’s a singular rec center on campus and it’s one of the most congested parts of the entire city (which is saying something) during peak hours. 

They could always play some pickup there though, it’d basically be practice for them 

12 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Unfortunately there’s a singular rec center on campus and it’s one of the most congested parts of the entire city (which is saying something) during peak hours. 

They could always play some pickup there though, it’d basically be practice for them 

All I'm trying to say is that players take it personally when they don't perform in certain areas of their sport.  There's no way AU players don't have access to facilities either on campus or off to hone their skills, perhaps it's more of a time management issue and not a facility issue?  

There are +300 basketball teams, many are somehow able to shoot FT's at a much higher % than our players did this season with less elaborate facilities.  

3 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Their has to be a practice facility ON CAMPUS for ONLY basketball players. nothing extravagant just regulation goals and floor and lighting. If  they can’t practice whenever they want, they are not at fault for bad results. Same with batting cages, qbs and receivers just need a football and grassy field. It can’t be complicated. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Their has to be a practice facility ON CAMPUS for ONLY basketball players. nothing extravagant just regulation goals and floor and lighting. If  they can’t practice whenever they want, they are not at fault for bad results. Same with batting cages, qbs and receivers just need a football and grassy field. It can’t be complicated. 

Respectfully there are probably policies in place that regulate things due to liability. U have to keep in someone has to open and the close the facilities . Otherwise any random person can just walk in . If a person truly wants to improve their craft they will find a way.

5 hours ago, JerryAU said:

All I'm trying to say is that players take it personally when they don't perform in certain areas of their sport.  There's no way AU players don't have access to facilities either on campus or off to hone their skills, perhaps it's more of a time management issue and not a facility issue?  

There are +300 basketball teams, many are somehow able to shoot FT's at a much higher % than our players did this season with less elaborate facilities.  

5 hours ago, JerryAU said:

No. No it can't be it's up to you to just find somewhere. The school should have places available where guys can practice if they want super results.

Also if you go places that's not regulation and don't have regulation equipment you could be totally messing your shot up

3 hours ago, alexava said:

You are right, if people want the best results they would have this at the LEAST for their players. But I'm letting you know at Auburn they don't. 

At Tennessee they do. At Duke they do. At Michigan they do. At Auburn they do not

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I know they’re working on a facility, although I believe it’s just started being worked on circa last year. As of this moment, they practice where they play, which also has to share time with the women’s and gymnastics. And yeah, it’s not open 24/7 

Auburn has space problems more than money problems imo. The university has pretty much maximized the area allotted to it. There was a housing shortage that could somewhat be traced back to that, tl;dr the problem extends past just sports 

I think if Auburn was as big as Athens or Tuscaloosa, they wouldn’t have been so behind in the major sports facilities for so long, IMO 

21 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Bruce won't let his players play on other courts.  This was a rule when I was a student at least.  One of the players in Bruce's first years with us tried to play a pick-up game at the REC and got in trouble.

It kind of makes sense if you think about it not wanting to incur an unnecessary injury.

• Like 1

I can understand not playing pick up games other places but not allowing shoot arounds at other places sounds crazy too me. I'm on the side that its the players fault if they can't shot free throws. I mean at this level of play all of these guys are trying to make a living playing basketball. Not gonna happen for most but i bet everyone of them has that goal. And your telling me you can't make the time to get good at shooting free throws?? Literally ANYONE can be good at it if they put the time in. Its not some hard to achieve skill its just a repetition thing. 

With that said AU has a history of not being great shooting free throws but that is just because we have a history of being bad at basketball. We've been better recently as our teams got better....imagine that!! But this year was a step back in all things related to the team. Didn't have good shooters and therefore we have poor free throw shooting. Wen was great..... Flan and Jaylin were acceptable. KD and Moore were close to being acceptable. The rest were flat out terrible. 

People playing pick up and shooting in their back yards is one thing. Shooting free throws game on the line and you know it's on national tv and stuff like that is a whole different thing.

It may just take people actually seeing a D1 athlete schedule or being in their shoes but no I doubt you are going to have time in the day to randomly practice shooting free throws, that leaves night time. If you want your players to be better you'd make sure they have access to what you need them to be better at. 

You're not going out at night walking on random people's property and you're 6'6" black kid in a mostly white community. If you did you certainly not doing it alone......depending at the time also bouncing a ball is disturbing people. 

Shooting is a skill. Not everybody is good at it. Some people can say how can you not be able to dribble a ball it's so simple, some people can say how can you not be able to catch a ball, some people can say how can you not be able to swim, some can say how can you not be able track a ball in the air, some can say how can you be 5'10 and up and not be able to dunk? Not everybody has every skill. 

If it was so easy to be consistent at shooting them then everybody would be able to do so. The fact that we have had plenty of teams struggle at this is really giving your answer right there. But once again because people have in their mind of hitting a free throw before they think it's easy.....guarantee most people that says how easy it is wouldn't be able to shoot 70%

We need reps but we absolutely need gym access to the team whenever they want. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Bruce won't let his players play on other courts.  This was a rule when I was a student at least.  One of the players in Bruce's first years with us tried to play a pick-up game at the REC and got in trouble.

It kind of makes sense if you think about it not wanting to incur an unnecessary injury.

The 2019-20 main core pulled up the summer before their season to the rec; I think they definitely wanted to run a game and definitely was scoping out everyone else but never asked 

• Like 1