Men vs Houston NCAA Tournament RD2 Game Thread

Maverick.AU

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

“This isn’t about Maverick.”  But you try to bring Kessler in.  I do find that interesting because Kessler liked my post of trying to break up the argument. 

Whatever you say Deon.  I can’t force you to see what you are doing either so lets leave it at that and let bygones be bygones. 

scooter sounds better when you are insulting someone. use ron whites voice as well..........grins

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is Dr. Gibbs to you Lol. 

Now to be fair to you, that was a really funny response.  

- Andrew (only fair I did the same)

2D51D170-FB08-4962-8F26-22BD6E20F1CD.gif

Edited by abw0004
  • Haha 1

on the rant auburn folks are mad while JB missed free throw after free throw. i have to admit i did not watch the game because i was afraid i would jinx us and all that.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

on the rant auburn folks are mad while JB missed free throw after free throw. i have to admit i did not watch the game because i was afraid i would jinx us and all that.

We really struggled in the second half to make a free throw.  Not just Broome.  It did get frustrating.  

• Like 2

i love it when we all laugh and cut up. i miss our super lib poster that left because he was always right and always funny. i wish he would come back.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

We really struggled in the second half to make a free throw.  Not just Broome.  It did get frustrating.  

i missed it. i was afraid of the jinx and i wanted that sweet sixteen banner to hang up.

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

we need to work on those bad. i read where there is an exercise where you lay on your back and throw the ball straight up and then catch it over and over with your hands. it sounds weird but some guys still do that exercise and claims it helps them. i wonder if auburn does that? it sounds silly but those old announcers were talking about doing those drills back in the day.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

we need to work on those bad. i read where there is an exercise where you lay on your back and throw the ball straight up and then catch it over and over with your hands. it sounds weird but some guys still do that exercise and claims it helps them. i wonder if auburn does that? it sounds silly but those old announcers were talking about doing those drills back in the day.

I definitely wouldn’t be the best person to ask.

@cole256 and @Tiger are the experts and could make suggestions on improving our free throws for next year.  

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

@cole256 and @Tiger are the experts and could make suggestions on improving our free throws for next year.  

well maybe cole will answer this when he gets time.

• Facepalm 1

Meh, I don't blame Bruce. You get the best players you can get, I think he did that. Some times you get players that have a lot of potential and hope it pans out because you can't get an already established stud. I think he did that. 

This team came down to one thing really, shooting. They had a number of players that could get hot, but nobody that was a consistently good shooter that could straight up beat someone. Green was the best shooter, but he couldn't go straight up with anyone, we had to get him open for him to take a shot. He could drive if his defender pressed too much. JB could post up down low, but you could hack him and he couldn't make the free throws.

So if our guys got hot, like in the first half, we could beat anyone. But we couldn't do that consistently, even for one game. We always fell back to a poor shooting team at some point in every game.

When we shot poorly, we couldn't "man up" and feed someone inside to offset it. Except for JB, who the other team could hack to defend him without worry that he would make the free throws.

So it all amounts to a team of pretty good players, with potential, that just never developed that potential. Without even one really good player they could lean on when things got tough.

It happens. Bruce will be looking for "that guy" again next year, hopefully he'll find him!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

U get better at FT , by shooting and practicing them. When you do that u work on form, technique,  follow thru etc...FT shooting these days don't make SportsCenter unless it's an untimely miss. Highlights are dunks and 3s. The great shooters spend countless days working on shooting. It's really that simple if the player is willing to invest the time.

Honestly , what is killing these boards is not negativism. It is blind loyalty. Blind loyalty to new coaches , blind loyalty to old coaches. There is no room for fair objectivity and if you do provide constructive criticism (key word, constructive, not just personal vendetta) it is met with stark rebuking. If it’s all group think and no varying opinion, then what is the point?

@KansasTigerand I have had polar opposite opinions on the football forum , but at the end of the day , I like to believe we have respect among each as posters because at least we can acknowledge when fair criticism is being afforded. Same goes for me and @cole256, @aubiefifty, @NWALA Tiger, @Tigerpro2a,  etc. 

I am sure there is a host of others…we have agreed and disagreed, it makes this place beautiful, IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Honestly , what is killing these boards is not negativism. It is blind loyalty. Blind loyalty to new coaches , blind loyalty to old coaches. There is no room for fair objectivity and if you do provide constructive criticism (key word, constructive, not just personal vendetta) it is met with stark rebuking. If it’s all group think and no varying opinion, then what is the point?

@KansasTigerand I have had polar opposite opinions on the football forum , but at the end of the day , I like to believe we have respect among each as posters because at least we can acknowledge when fair criticism is being afforded. Same goes for me and @cole256, @aubiefifty, @NWALA Tiger, @Tigerpro2a,  etc. 

I am sure there is a host of others…we have agreed and disagreed, it makes this place beautiful, IMO.

Wait...this is the same DAG on the football forum?? Well I'm outta here!...🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

I’ve made us an appointment with a counselor first thing tomorrow morning and I expect you all to be there.

I beat up the counselor . Blood everywhere. I’m still pissed . Somebody help Me!!!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Stop practicing free throws. Just wing it. We have been a bad FT team for 30 years (few exceptions). I’m sure every coach just practices them more or different. Never tried not shooting them. I’m 50, haven’t touched a basketball in a year and I will bet my 401k I can shoot over50% right now. 

• Like 1

On the free throw discussion, while I was at the AU-Iowa game, during the half time warm ups Johni was shooting all free throws.  I counted and he shot around 30 and made about 14.  My point is I would assume they all practice free throws, some of them are just not good at making them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I waited till today to post as I went from euphoria in the first half to a small melt down in the second half.

First I want to thank this team who despite their Basketball limitations played their butts of all year and even gave me a glimmer of Hope in the first half against a Houston team even with Sasser not at 100% that was just a better team.  Yes FT's really impacted this game but the reality is we have a few players who were not consistently good FT shooters throughout the year. At some point it had to catch up with us.

I am proud of this team and the effort they put in. If you had told me at beginning of March we would win one game in the NCAA and in 1st half scare the number 1 seed I would have been extremely happy.  This team was never a championship caliber team but I believe some good came out of this in addition to winning one game in the big dance.

I believe by making it to the 2nd round we played enough games that Westry will qualify for a redshirt. We saw Donaldson grow this year and we saw Broome play well this year.  Next year we have a very solid albeit small PG coming in and with NIL and Portal we have the ability to rebuild this team for next year.  Because of Covid some of our players technically could return but from what other posters have said it does not appear any will.

I would love to see Jaylin and Flan opt in for one more year. I know a lot of posters would not like Flan to return but I saw glimpses like in the Iowa game of what he can bring a solid defender, a solid rebounder, and third ball handler, and a third option as a scorer. As he got healthier and even more important more confident he could be great addition to next years team. I hope Traore stays and the light comes on even though I have heard rumors he is thinking about trying the draft.  

To all who decide to leave thank you for your effort and for your love for Auburn. Please know we love you even when we criticize you. We are fans and as such we get excited and sometimes forget the work and sacrifice you put in to play for Auburn.  May you all go on to great and fruitful lives wherever it leads you in the future.

flan is probably my favorite player. he came back from a terrible injury and he hustles his behind off. i also thik he is one of our greatest d guys.

• Like 2

IMO, It's time for a roster turnover. Get Broom, Donaldson back. Bring in Holloway. Then hit the portal. Thanks to everyone else but we have maxed out with this roster. Need new blood. This off season will tell if Bruce is loyal to a fault

Edited by NWALA Tiger

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

IMO, It's time for a roster turnover. Get Broom, Donaldson back. Bring in Holloway. Then hit the portal. Thanks to everyone else but we have maxed out with this roster. Need new blood. This off season will tell if Bruce is loyal to a fault

I just don’t see Bruce processing any guys who wanna come back. I’m prepared for several players to come back quite frankly. Flan and Jaylin will research G League and overseas opportunities, Zep has drained every possible option to stay in college lol, and I don’t see Bruce telling KD and Wendell to kick rocks. I expect Stretch gone and the Freshman guard but anytime past that is an option at the moment I think. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I just don’t see Bruce processing any guys who wanna come back. I’m prepared for several players to come back quite frankly. Flan and Jaylin will research G League and overseas opportunities, Zep has drained every possible option to stay in college lol, and I don’t see Bruce telling KD and Wendell to kick rocks. I expect Stretch gone and the Freshman guard but anytime past that is an option at the moment I think. 

You think Chacey will leave?

42 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

You think Chacey will leave?

I would not expect that no. I’m not anticipating Traore either, but if I had to pick one with the most likelihood of transferring, it would be him. 

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I really do think this group fought as hard if not harder than Auburn teams that won more than them. They experienced a slow death for 10 or so minutes straight in that second half, but kept on trying to run the offense, tried to press (even when Houston blew that apart), and even got it back down to 8 with a couple minutes left. 

There's a lack of talent that exists but you really gotta pat the dudes on the back for trying as they did

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

flan is probably my favorite player. he came back from a terrible injury and he hustles his behind off. i also thik he is one of our greatest d guys.

There's some frustrating things offensively with him from time to time, but he's our best defender, our best athlete, by far our best rebounder, and sometimes, it even felt like he was the best playmaker on the court (which might say something about something). 

Definitely not a perfect player or close to it, but between being the primary matchup on Anthony Edwards, being the lone bright spot for many 2020 games, and doing what was asked of him for this current core the last 2 seasons, I will appreciate Flanigan's time here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1