Men vs Houston NCAA Tournament RD2 Game Thread

Maverick.AU

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

There's some frustrating things offensively with him from time to time, but he's our best defender, our best athlete, by far our best rebounder, and sometimes, it even felt like he was the best playmaker on the court (which might say something about something). 

Definitely not a perfect player or close to it, but between being the primary matchup on Anthony Edwards, being the lone bright spot for many 2020 games, and doing what was asked of him for this current core the last 2 seasons, I will appreciate Flanigan's time here

people will laugh but he reminds me of dennis rodman. i hope he has a bright future ahead of him.

I’m by no stretch a basketball guru or shot doctor, but I did stay a Holiday Inn. Jaylin has an awkward release which leads to inconsistency.   Broome’s shot is too flat and has to be dead on to go in from outside and free throw line.   KD has a good shot but I believe he is too high strung to be consistent.    Greene has a good shot but needs space to get it off.   Flannigan is a pure shooter but someone I would classify as a scorer.   He plays out of control and too fast which leads to inconsistency but is the best defender when he wants to be.  Didn’t see enough of any other players to give an opinion besides Donaldson which I believe just needs confidence and playing time to be a good contributor 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m by no stretch a basketball guru or shot doctor, but I did stay a Holiday Inn. Jaylin has an awkward release which leads to inconsistency.   Broome’s shot is too flat and has to be dead on to go in from outside and free throw line.   KD has a good shot but I believe he is too high strung to be consistent.    Greene has a good shot but needs space to get it off.   Flannigan is a pure shooter but someone I would classify as a scorer.   He plays out of control and too fast which leads to inconsistency but is the best defender when he wants to be.  Didn’t see enough of any other players to give an opinion besides Donaldson which I believe just needs confidence and playing time to be a good contributor 

Good analysis,  bro

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Honestly , what is killing these boards is not negativism. It is blind loyalty. Blind loyalty to new coaches , blind loyalty to old coaches. There is no room for fair objectivity and if you do provide constructive criticism (key word, constructive, not just personal vendetta) it is met with stark rebuking. If it’s all group think and no varying opinion, then what is the point?

@KansasTigerand I have had polar opposite opinions on the football forum , but at the end of the day , I like to believe we have respect among each as posters because at least we can acknowledge when fair criticism is being afforded. Same goes for me and @cole256, @aubiefifty, @NWALA Tiger, @Tigerpro2a,  etc. 

I am sure there is a host of others…we have agreed and disagreed, it makes this place beautiful, IMO.

I disagree, this has nothing to deal with coach loyalty, back when great posters like 72 used to post on this forum (as a whole) there were some great debates and that's what made this forum beautiful. what u have now is people in the forums seeing how much s*** they can throw at each other, rather than debating. That's where I have come to my breaking point, it has become, let's see how big of a holes we can be and try to dump on other members of the forum. It's gotten real old.  And I don't mean this towards u dag so please don't take it that way. I just mean in general. 

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I disagree, this has nothing to deal with coach loyalty, back when great posters like 72 used to post on this forum (as a whole) there were some great debates and that's what made this forum beautiful. what u have now is people in the forums seeing how much s*** they can throw at each other, rather than debating. That's where I have come to my breaking point, it has become, let's see how big of a holes we can be and try to dump on other members of the forum. It's gotten real old. 

We can totally agree to disagree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

We can totally agree to disagree.

And I can respect that, all I'll say I have talked to numerous people that were frequent posters on this site and they all said they don't post anymore bc of the negativity.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

And I can respect that, all I'll say I have talked to numerous people that were frequent posters on this site and they all said they don't post anymore bc of the negativity.

Well, that is their prerogative. I saw a lot of people talk and leave last summer, and the forum keeps on trucking. Just new personalities. 

Just now, DAG said:

Well, that is their prerogative. I saw a lot of people talk and leave last summer, and the forum keeps on trucking. Just new personalities. 

And one can say they don't like the way the forum is heading with said personalities. Especially a place that was once a chill safe haven on this forum,  and now isn't. The toxicity of other side of the forum is bleeding over and I'm not a fan of that. Just being straight up 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

And one can say they don't like the way the forum is heading with said personalities. Especially a place that was once a chill safe haven on this forum,  and now isn't. The toxicity of other side of the forum is bleeding over and I'm not a fan of that. Just being straight up 

Oh I know lol. You made that point pretty big last night. 

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

And what is wrong with that point?

Did I say something was wrong with that point? No. You said your piece, and I said that is fine. At the end of the day, the forum will still go on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

I would not expect that no. I’m not anticipating Traore either, but if I had to pick one with the most likelihood of transferring, it would be him. 

I am sure their lack of contributions this season, due to injury and lack of game development, hurt the team. I am hoping for big things from them both in 2023-2024.

• Like 1

What disappoints me and is more upsetting than all of the negativity on here is when @DAGadmitted a few weeks ago he isn’t an Auburn basketball fan. That was heartbreaking and nearly broke me…. Dagger to the heart! 

980E222C-694B-4357-BC37-40DD63DD23C9.gif

DA2C577E-1F02-401B-905A-2FFD3999493B.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fishepa said:

On the free throw discussion, while I was at the AU-Iowa game, during the half time warm ups Johni was shooting all free throws.  I counted and he shot around 30 and made about 14.  My point is I would assume they all practice free throws, some of them are just not good at making them.

The other thing. Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes habits. If you are practicing the wrong way, you are setting yourself back. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

What disappoints me and is more upsetting than all of the negativity on here is when @DAGadmitted a few weeks ago he isn’t an Auburn basketball fan. That was heartbreaking and nearly broke me…. Dagger to the heart! 

I never said I wasn't an Auburn basketball fan lol. I said in general I do not get into NCAAB until closer to tourney time! I feel like it is no reason to get super high or low during the season unless it's obvious what the trajectory is.. Look at Arkansas for instance, prior to the NCAA tourney their fans were saying this was a wash...now.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The second gif will always make me laugh no matter how many times I see it lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I never said I wasn't an Auburn basketball fan lol. I said in general I do not get into NCAAB until closer to tourney time! I feel like it is no reason to get super high or low during the season unless it's obvious what the trajectory is.. Look at Arkansas for instance, prior to the NCAA tourney their fans were saying this was a wash...now.

Well yah. I doubt most of us are watching a lot of college basketball games across the college bball landscape and map until march. But we do watch every AU bball game and are obviously all deeply invested in it. I thought you meant you didn’t care about AU basketball until march.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well yah. I doubt most of us are watching a lot of college basketball games across the college bball landscape and map until march. But we do watch every AU bball game and are obviously all deeply invested in it. I thought you meant you didn’t care about AU basketball until march.

I won't lie I wish I had the time to honestly 😂

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I do care about it. I do not get too high or low during the season because teams can get hot during the conference and NCAA tourney, and that is where coaches make or break themselves. Matt Painter is a wizard in the regular season but since his squad has loss to double-digit seeds the last three years in the tourney, most recently the 16 seed, he his been chalked up as a failure. 

• Love 1

Dissenting opinions or analysis should be welcome. To me it shows the passion of the fan base . Yes, that has been elevated by BP. I've seen no one call for his job. Just because folks point out what's wrong or what did or didn't happen to fix it to me shows the passion the fan base has. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

back when great posters like 72 used to post on this forum (as a whole) there were some great debates and that's what made this forum beautiful. what u have now is people in the forums seeing how much s*** they can throw at each other

You've got to be kidding. 72 was posting when this site fought tooth and nail in every thread about Gus. Straight up meet-me-in-the-parking-lot discussions around the clock. Currently all I see is a small percentage of folks being as diplomatic as possible while hinting that basketball might be sliding a little- met by folks ready to pull the plug and indict the whole internet because of 'post-72' negativity level? 

By the way- it's warranted. His tenure is turning into a perfect Gus analogy. Missing on recruits more, offensive woes, possible priority misaligment due to loyalty. Even the timelines match up- both coaches were here on our biggest days. Even the contracts play into the anology. The real difference is *nobody* in here has quit on BP. We love the guy. I'd go to war for him. But he's cracking the door for people to be saying stuff. So far nothing has been said that warrants people just declaring from some lofty place that this forum is bad.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

You've got to be kidding. 72 was posting when this site fought tooth and nail in every thread about Gus. Straight up meet-me-in-the-parking-lot discussions around the clock. Currently all I see is a small percentage of folks being as diplomatic as possible while hinting that basketball might be sliding a little- met by folks ready to pull the plug and indict the whole internet because of 'post-72' negativity level? 

By the way- it's warranted. His tenure is turning into a perfect Gus analogy. Missing on recruits more, offensive woes, possible priority misaligment due to loyalty. Even the timelines match up- both coaches were here on our biggest days. Even the contracts play into the anology. The real difference is *nobody* in here has quit on BP. We love the guy. I'd go to war for him. But he's cracking the door for people to be saying stuff. So far nothing has been said that warrants people just declaring from some lofty place that this forum is bad.  

Salute to u because boy was I thinking this is similar to football . I was looking at the pros and cons and it’s eerily similar.

I just don't see all the negativity people are talking about. If everybody would just do their thing I think everything would be fine. Everybody has their own favorite posters. 

It's ok to have different opinions. 

9 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

well maybe cole will answer this when he gets time.

So as far as the exercise that you described is an old school thing that some people would say they do. It really don't have a special relation as far as free throw, but it's an exercise that supposed to help your follow through wrist action. 

This exercise could actually mess up your shooting stroke though because when you actually think about it this is actually causing you to shoot from your chest because you are laying down and your shot should be higher than that.

Shooting free throws and shooting in general is somewhat like catching a football to a wide receiver. Nothing can help but reps and practice. There's no secret technique to either one. Usually a great 3 point shooter will be a great free throw shooter as well. It's about touch but most of it is about performing under pressure.

Let's say if me and you were playing one on one or playing pick up your team against mine, I could potentially take you out of the game if you missed your first shot and I said he's self checked leave him open! I'm playing mental games with you now. I'm now using everybody that's playing as weapons for me to have you think and put pressure on yourself. You are now thinking everybody is watching me and everybody is going to think that I suck if I miss. This could lead to you not taking shots anymore during the game or you just continue to miss because of the pressure. And you could be a great shooter when you practice and you are alone.

That's why it's sort of funny when people say stuff like I could do this and that.....well yeah maybe when you are in a gym by yourself but when you have dreams of maybe going to the league and stuff like that, the pressure is different, and certain people handle pressure better than others. But it's sort of hard because you really can't simulate big pressure situations. You can prepare and hope you will be ready in the moment but there aren't any guarantees.

Hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1