2024 5* C Flory Bidunga (Kansas)

ellitor

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@CameronCrazy Not sure how often AU will even be in battles with blue bloods going forward. Bruce just doubled down on his stance in a recent interview of only taing 1-2 recruits per year going forward & getting the rest of the players we need each year through the transfer portal.

Well then, we fans should just be happy with making the sweet 16 once every few years.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Well then, we fans should just be happy with making the sweet 16 once every few years.

Disagree. There are plenty of good recruits you can land that will be with your team 2-3 years that you can develop and make NCAA runs with that Blue Bloods will not recruit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I know this is sarcasm, but HELL NO! Although it seems Bruce is starting to make the changes necessary to get us back there (i.e., better guards and athletic 3s/4s). We need some tough 4's too. I'm thinking Houston for instance. They manhandled us in the second half. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

@CameronCrazy Not sure how often AU will even be in battles with blue bloods going forward. Bruce just doubled down on his stance in a recent interview of only taing 1-2 recruits per year going forward & getting the rest of the players we need each year through the transfer portal.

Why? No player development?

36 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Why? No player development?

@War to the Eagle Sounds like it's more of the 1 & done mentality of elite recruits, either going NBA or transferring.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

It ain't for Mikey.

Not entirely sarcasm, no. Any other time or sport it's "you've got to have talent". Now suddenly, for basketball only? it's "Hell, we'll just pick up what we need from the portal". Then why bother with recruiting at all?

I don't think that's going to work very well.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Not entirely sarcasm, no. Any other time or sport it's "you've got to have talent". Now suddenly, for basketball only? it's "Hell, we'll just pick up what we need from the portal". Then why bother with recruiting at all?

I don't think that's going to work very well.

It's not like we're going to see a team again that has played together three to four years. Those days are over. It's not a "why bother" situation but more of a "don't sweat it" situation if you ask me. There are going to be one and done players and there are going to be impatient players. Neither will be around long enough to wear our a pair of shoes so why not work the portal for the experienced players that you can't cultivate on your own bench. 

• Like 1

I’d still invest considerably into recruiting b/c chances are now with portal if they don’t get the time or attention they want, they’ll be hitting the portal, and could have your coach/team/school as an option to transfer to

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

It's not like we're going to see a team again that has played together three to four years. Those days are over. It's not a "why bother" situation but more of a "don't sweat it" situation if you ask me. There are going to be one and done players and there are going to be impatient players. Neither will be around long enough to wear our a pair of shoes so why not work the portal for the experienced players that you can't cultivate on your own bench. 

This sounds a lot like "You can't be with the one you love, so try to love the one you're with". AU may have to resort to that but I don't think it's a good way to finish anywhere near the top.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

"You can't be with the one you love, so try to love the one you're with"

Wow Mikey impressive on pulling a Stephen Stills song lyric. Not the exact lyric but close enough.

On a side note saw Stephen concert at Auburn he was wearing a Pat Sullivan jersey for the concert.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

This sounds a lot like "You can't be with the one you love, so try to love the one you're with". AU may have to resort to that but I don't think it's a good way to finish anywhere near the top.

Ok Mikey, there are several ways to look at life and negative is certainly one of those ways. Good luck to you. Personally I feel like Bruce is doing his job and we are a nationally relevant team. He knows a wee bit more than you or I do about basketball talent and what it will take. There is only one thing left for us to do and that's write a check large enough to buy these guys away from Duke, Kansas and the like. Since I'm tapped out it's up to you. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

Ok Mikey, there are several ways to look at life and negative is certainly one of those ways. Good luck to you. Personally I feel like Bruce is doing his job and we are a nationally relevant team. He knows a wee bit more than you or I do about basketball talent and what it will take. There is only one thing left for us to do and that's write a check large enough to buy these guys away from Duke, Kansas and the like. Since I'm tapped out it's up to you. 

I'm not paying 25 cents to buy a full-scholarship player. I'll help with baseball, softball and other such sports where players are on partial scholarships but those who will get the full ride will have to do it without my money.

On 7/22/2023 at 8:30 AM, ellitor said:

Disagree. There are plenty of good recruits you can land that will be with your team 2-3 years that you can develop and make NCAA runs with that Blue Bloods will not recruit.

Then why are we all so excited about Big Cat and the 5* guys expected to attend? If we can't get 'em, we'll just pick up a bunch from the portal. That's what you are saying here.

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm not paying 25 cents to buy a full-scholarship player. I'll help with baseball, softball and other such sports where players are on partial scholarships but those who will get the full ride will have to do it without my money.

Then why are you complaining about Bruce hitting the portal? I'm sure that Bruce is fine with you keeping your 25 cents as well as your 2 cents on that subject. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gr82be said:

Then why are you complaining about Bruce hitting the portal? I'm sure that Bruce is fine with you keeping your 25 cents as well as your 2 cents on that subject. 

I'm not complaining about Bruce hitting the portal. I'm pointing out the fallacy of posters on this board taking the position of: " Not a big deal if we can't sign the big dogs, we'll just get players from the portal". That's not going to work very well over time. Again, if recruiting/purchasing failures are no problem and great players are available in the portal, why get excited about the Big Cat Weekend? Or do y'all think we will get top-tier results with second-tier players? For every Kessler there are several dozen, uh, less than spectacular portal guys.

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I believe it's down to us and KU

Really? All the chatter for the past 6 weeks has been Duke.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Really? All the chatter for the past 6 weeks has been Duke.

Just relaying info

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I think an announcement from Flory could happen soon, maybe within 10 days.

Sources indicate Auburn’s in the final three, *possibly* in the final two with Kansas. Duke and Michigan are the other...

Hokanson posted 

Tremendous talent and a lot of upsides. I think it is worth repeating that he has only been playing basketball for a year. Still very raw, and the talent competition is not there. I believe that it is essential to consider going into his time in college basketball.

On 7/26/2023 at 7:44 AM, toddc said:

I think an announcement from Flory could happen soon, maybe within 10 days.

Sources indicate Auburn’s in the final three, *possibly* in the final two with Kansas. Duke and Michigan are the other...

Hokanson posted 

Kansas is boring.