“LGBTQ” has become a poor catchall for unrelated groups

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Who is teaching children to harm or hurt anyone?

You don't have to specifically teach a child to harm or hurt someone for that to be the result.  When you devalue someone or some group by describing them as mentally ill or defective, you make them less than a person.  I don't understand and can't relate to most that consider themselves to be a transexual.  That doesn't mean that I have any interest in targeting them because they are different.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AU9377 said:

You don't have to specifically teach a child to harm or hurt someone for that to be the result.  When you devalue someone or some group by describing them as mentally ill or defective, you make them less than a person.  I don't understand and can't relate to most that consider themselves to be a transexual.  That doesn't mean that I have any interest in targeting them because they are different.

When people display their mental illness, like stripping on the White House lawn or any other specific defective,attention grabbing ruses they put on....it’s perfectly fine to tell your children that this is a mentally ill person, yes a defective person. That’s called honesty. It’s called parenting. If these people were not mentally ill, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. They would be quietly living their lives out of the spotlight. They are trying to force our capitulation and the American left( surprise) is participating in the mental illness with them. I won’t. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, alexava said:

When people display their mental illness, like stripping on the White House lawn or any other specific defective,attention grabbing ruses they put on....it’s perfectly fine to tell your children that this is a mentally ill person, yes a defective person. That’s called honesty. It’s called parenting. If these people were not mentally ill, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. They would be quietly living their lives out of the spotlight. They are trying to force our capitulation and the American left( surprise) is participating in the mental illness with them. I won’t. 

Rosa Parks was considered defective for not giving up her seat on the bus. Would you have called her mentally ill? As you later say, if she didn't do that, then we wouldn't have the conversation and she would quietly live out her life out of the spotlight. 

• Facepalm 3

5 hours ago, alexava said:

When your son brings home his boyfriend, is he also defective and mentally ill?  Where is the line drawn?

8 hours ago, arein0 said:

Rosa Parks was considered defective for not giving up her seat on the bus. Would you have called her mentally ill? As you later say, if she didn't do that, then we wouldn't have the conversation and she would quietly live out her life out of the spotlight. 

That was so bad a take, hell I was embarrassed enough for the both of us...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AU9377 said:

When your son brings home his boyfriend, is he also defective and mentally ill?  Where is the line drawn?

My son is 18 and a skirt chaser.  Although his God parents are a Couple of gay men that we lived next door to before he was born. Best friends of my wife and I, my kids call them “Uncle.....” These men also don’t think men should play women’s sports and children should not be mutilated. They don’t consider themselves a part of the alphabet mafia anymore. 
       I draw the line at stick and balls, you are a man and play men’s sports. Don’t destroy the body of confused children. Plain and simple. If a mentally ill adult wants to be mutilated, that’s his business. Just don’t expect me to share this mental illness with you. 
         This is all the leftist ploy to create more victims. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, arein0 said:

I’m sure Christian black folks love you. Keep trying to line them up with this sickness that has no relevance to the oppression they faced and overcame for simply existing. Leftism itself is a mental illness. Congratulations on your diagnosis. Now you can be a victim too. 

• Facepalm 1

35 minutes ago, alexava said:

I’m sure Christian black folks love you. Keep trying to line them up with this sickness that has no relevance to the oppression they faced and overcame for simply existing. Leftism itself is a mental illness. Congratulations on your diagnosis. Now you can be a victim too. 

I know I'm bad with communicating and apparently there is a miscommunication happening, probably on my end. Could you tell me how you got to this conclusion so I can try to improve?

43 minutes ago, arein0 said:

I know I'm bad with communicating and apparently there is a miscommunication happening, probably on my end. Could you tell me how you got to this conclusion so I can try to improve?

I believe “mental illness” has become an overly broad and overly applied term, in part because insurance pays to treat illness and counseling can help that broad range of “normal people” who struggle with common human conditions (anxiety, depression, etc.). I chafe at calling others defective, as perhaps you do, too. I wouldn’t call the folks who bared their chests at the WH either. I don’t know them. But they engaged in inappropriate attention-seeking behavior, particularly for the setting. Rosa Parks bought a ticket and sat down on a bus, just like people are allowed to do every hour of the day all over the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I believe “mental illness” has become an overly broad and overly applied term, in part because insurance pays to treat illness and counseling can help that broad range of “normal people” who struggle with common human conditions (anxiety, depression, etc.). I chafe at calling others defective, as perhaps you do, too. I wouldn’t call the folks who bared their chests at the WH either. I don’t know them. But they engaged in inappropriate attention-seeking behavior, particularly for the setting. Rosa Parks bought a ticket and sat down on a bus, just like people are allowed to do every hour of the day all over the world.

I agree with everything you said. I mentioned Rosa Parks because it was considered very radical for her time and she was arrested for not giving up her seat. I interpreted the original message that I bolded as anyone that goes against the status quo as mentally ill, which is why I brought her up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alexava said:

My son is 18 and a skirt chaser.  Although his God parents are a Couple of gay men that we lived next door to before he was born. Best friends of my wife and I, my kids call them “Uncle.....” These men also don’t think men should play women’s sports and children should not be mutilated. They don’t consider themselves a part of the alphabet mafia anymore. 
       I draw the line at stick and balls, you are a man and play men’s sports. Don’t destroy the body of confused children. Plain and simple. If a mentally ill adult wants to be mutilated, that’s his business. Just don’t expect me to share this mental illness with you. 
         This is all the leftist ploy to create more victims. 

Thank you for clarifying your position.  We agree much more on this issue than we disagree.  I think many people are simply guarded due to the actions of people like Ron DeSantis.  He first claimed that he was protecting children in Florida, but when given an inch, he took a mile and has been showing his true colors more and more.  For you it isn't, but for many it seems to be the acceptable way that they can funnel their disdain for people that are different from themselves and feel justified doing so.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 5:19 PM, cbo said:

Just because you kept asking the same question, doesn't mean he didn't answer it. 

Look up the origins of blackface and think about the importance of context and intent. 

If John - a white man - dresses up as a woman on Monday, we are to instruct children to respect him. But if John paints his face black on Tuesday, we are to teach children to not respect him.

Is this accurate?

3 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

If John - a white man - dresses up as a woman on Monday, we are to instruct children to respect him. But if John paints his face black on Tuesday, we are to teach children to not respect him.

Is this accurate?

Yes

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

image.gif

Clever response. 

I'm going to try this for some reason. 

There's a looong history in this country of white people dressing in blackface to ridicule black people. It started when black people were enslaved by the very same white people having a laugh. If you cared about the history, you could look it up and find truly disgusting characterizations of black people that I won't even repeat here and even you would not try to defend. 

On the other hand, dressing in drag has been widely accepted for decades in this country as a fun, silly thing to do. For example, here's a picture of the current governor of Tennessee. The one who recently outlawed dressing in drag in public. 

Gov. Bill Lee signs into Tennessee law a ban on drag shows. Performers say  it's too subjective. | WKMS

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Bad move. You failed miserably.

Understood. You can't engage with facts or even try to articulate your argument. You really only on hackey insults. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cbo said:

Understood. You can't engage with facts or even try to articulate your argument. You really only on hackey insults. 

Well then give me facts to engage with, bud.  You say "dressing in drag has been widely accepted for decades in this country as a fun, silly thing to do." Yes, of course people who dress in drag and those entertained by it consider it a fun, silly thing to do. But how on earth does that give credence to your position? One could imagine the American theatre audience of the past considered blackface a fun, silly thing to do also. 

And your trace-the-roots theory cannot be taken seriously. You suggest I do not care "about the history." Yet, you conveniently omit any reference to drag's sexist underpinnings as a nineteenth century theatrical form premised on the fact that women were banned from performing on stage as actors and chorus members.

The more fatal flaw with your trace-the-roots theory is that you, like most liberals, do not actually believe the theory at all. Otherwise, you and your counterparts would have condemned Planned Parenthood long, long ago. 

So, try again and I will be happy to engage. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Well then give me facts to engage with, bud.  You say "dressing in drag has been widely accepted for decades in this country as a fun, silly thing to do." Yes, of course people who dress in drag and those entertained by it consider it a fun, silly thing to do. But how on earth does that give credence to your position? One could imagine the American theatre audience of the past considered blackface a fun, silly thing to do also. 

And your trace-the-roots theory cannot be taken seriously. You suggest I do not care "about the history." Yet, you conveniently omit any reference to drag's sexist underpinnings as a nineteenth century theatrical form premised on the fact that women were banned from performing on stage as actors and chorus members.

The more fatal flaw with your trace-the-roots theory is that you, like most liberals, do not actually believe the theory at all. Otherwise, you and your counterparts would have condemned Planned Parenthood long, long ago. 

So, try again and I will be happy to engage. 

Let me try.

It's not that complicated.  In fact it's pretty simple:

Blackface offends black people

Dressing in drag offends no one.

Edited by homersapien
  • Facepalm 1

On 6/20/2023 at 12:34 PM, AU9377 said:

Thank you for clarifying your position.  We agree much more on this issue than we disagree.  I think many people are simply guarded due to the actions of people like Ron DeSantis.  He first claimed that he was protecting children in Florida, but when given an inch, he took a mile and has been showing his true colors more and more.  For you it isn't, but for many it seems to be the acceptable way that they can funnel their disdain for people that are different from themselves and feel justified doing so.

What actions of DeSantis do you have a problem with?

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2023 at 8:09 AM, TexasTiger said:

Thank you for succinctly stating what never should have had to be said. 

There is only one person on this thread I would worry about being mentally ill. 

15 hours ago, homersapien said:

Blackface offends black people

Unless you are the Democrat Governor of VA and then it is all peachy fine...

• Facepalm 1

52 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Yeah, a country with a rich history of fascism, fascism with a dictator supported by the right wing politicians in this country.