2024 4* WR Bryce Cain Commits to AU!

toddc

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I don’t want to post the wrong thing, because we all know recruits do read these things but the “Locked on Auburn” guys said (not the ones who discussed the 3.95) there was a five star receiver in camp the same day and this three star (Cain) blew the five star away, so Freeze said: let’s lock this kid down! Again, don’t shoot the messenger, I’m just telling you what they said. 

It's true, Cain was the best that day 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I don’t want to post the wrong thing, because we all know recruits do read these things but the “Locked on Auburn” guys said (not the ones who discussed the 3.95) there was a five star receiver in camp the same day and this three star (Cain) blew the five star away, so Freeze said: let’s lock this kid down! Again, don’t shoot the messenger, I’m just telling you what they said. 

Oh, I can absolutely buy both Cain being the best player on the field at the camp *and* Freeze jumping on him right away. But 3.95 is laughable.

To be clear, however, the shot wasn't intended for you, it was for whomever put out that number originally.

9 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Oh, I can absolutely buy both Cain being the best player on the field at the camp *and* Freeze jumping on him right away. But 3.95 is laughable.

To be clear, however, the shot wasn't intended for you, it was for whomever put out that number originally.

I know, thanks. 

• Like 1

He ain't this fast. I know we love James Brooks and Lionel James as our fastest small guys, but I really think McCalebb wins in a footrace. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

He ain't this fast. I know we love James Brooks and Lionel James as our fastest small guys, but I really think McCalebb wins in a footrace. 

And much like O-Mac, Cain doesn't appear to have the wiggles.

• ellitor unpinned this topic
6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The turf tackled OMac more than anyone else

The sideline got him a lot too!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

He went from our lowest rated recruit to a 4*. Our staff has an eye for talent.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 4:55 PM, DAG said:

In before someone ask "Why is he only a 3 star?"

Well well well 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He went from our lowest rated recruit to a 4*. Our staff has an eye for talent.

He was gone rise up the rankings regardless. It's not like Auburn found him out of nowhere, he was committing to Ole miss before Auburn stepped in. The staff did a good job of locking him in though 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 12:14 PM, bigbird said:

The turf tackled OMac more than anyone else

And the sideline

• Like 2

• ellitor changed the title to 2024 4* WR Bryce Cain Commits to AU!
  • 5 weeks later...

Bryce Cain, 2024 WR, Auburn commit (online stream): After a quiet first half, Cain delivered huge haymakers down the stretch to fuel Baker's comeback win. Cain burst downfield uncovered and ran past a scrambling safety to haul in a 44-yard TD pass from Flowers late in the third quarter, then caught a 22-yard zone-beater TD and a 73-yard, single-coverage, catch-and-run slant TD in the fourth quarter to finish with four catches for 151 yards and three scores. Cain, who ran a 10.81 100-meter time as a sophomore, flashed that speed as he showed once he got behind the secondary, Foley couldn't do anything about it. -- Brooks

Link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Paladin said:

Watching Bo throw it all over the field last week to some smaller, speedy WRs near the LOS that break big play after big play…hoping Cain is that guy for us.

• Like 2

Auburn Recruiting: Bryce Cain Prospect Profile

Speedy receiver will bolster Hugh Freeze’s offense.

Brian SmithOct 5, 2023 9:53 AM EDT

The 2024 Auburn Tigers recruiting class is coming into shape. One of the biggest keys for the recruiting class would be balance. For instance, wide receiver is a spot where there are different body types and individual skill sets. That’s where today’s prospect profile comes into play, as he complements the natural size of fellow Auburn commitment Perry Thompson.

Bryce Cain

Position: Wide Receiver

Size: 5-foot-11, 170 pounds

Hometown: Mobile (Ala.) Baker

Recruitment: The Tigers won out over Lane Kiffin and Ole Miss. Committing to Auburn on June 13, Cain’s offers to date include Mississippi State, Northwestern, Tulane, Louisville, and Troy, among others.

Frame: At first glance, Cain looks like a track athlete. That’s how he plays, at times, too. Slender and muscular, he’s built to play in the slot. There’s some room to add weight, but it’s more important for Cain to be in great cardiovascular condition and be ready for Freeze’s uptempo offense. The Auburn strength and conditioning program will aid Cain in those areas.

Athleticism: About as fluid a runner as one will find. Cain’s ability to change directions and leave defenders behind him is eye-opening. To make those moves happen, Cain often explodes from his stance and decreases the separation between himself and the cornerback.

After reducing the distance between himself and the cornerback, his quickness can turn cornerbacks around and keep them from staying on track while covering him. Auburn commitment Walker White should not have much of an issue finding him down the field.

He’s also a capable 50-50 ball receiver because Cain times his jumps well. Not the biggest receiver, Cain still gets the job done.

After The Catch: Once Cain is ahead of a defensive back, very few are capable of catching up with him. He’s a burner. Just as important, Cain’s quick-twitch abilities allow him to make defenders miss in tight quarters. Look for Cain to be a player that Auburn utilizes with the screen game.

Inside And Out: Cain is built for slot receiver, but he’s also a player that knows how to play outside based on his high school career. In short, Cain has a natural feel for the game of football.

As he learns more and more of the Auburn playbook, it will be interesting to see how Freeze and the AU coaches go about moving Cain to different positions.

Versatility: With all of his natural skill and the ability to play multiple positions, Cain will likely play multiple wide receiver spots, as well as be a prime candidate for being a punt returner and kickoff returner, too.

Lastly, he is the perfect player to use for running reverses and trick plays. Any defender that loses contain that can be a touchdown for Auburn!

Auburn commit Bryce Cain has made strides to have a special season

by:Sam Spiegelman•about 1 hour•

For much of Bryce Cain‘s upbringing, baseball has been his sport.

A talented player on the diamond, Cain shined in stints last season, his first playing football. Injuries also sidelined the Mobile (Ala.) Baker High speedster, which delayed the process of getting on the same page with his quarterback.

Cain was new to the game and all the wrinkles playing receiver entailed.

“The biggest thing for Bryce was mental,” Baker High OC Chase Calcagni started. “He’s been a baseball player his whole life. He’s a helluva baseball player, but in baseball, you get streaky … Hot streaks, cold streaks. It’s different when you’re playing football. Being a receiver, you’re gonna have a drop here or there or run the wrong route.

“I stole this from Ted Lasso, but be a goldfish, have a short memory, and move on to the next play. He wanted to do whatever he could to help his teammates, make all the big plays, and help his teammates. He dropped a few balls last year, but it got him. He knew how important some of those were. This year, he’s had some drops, he’s learned how to put it in the past and ask for the ball. That’s when you’ll truly take your talents to the next level. You’ll grow mentally. It’s not just about speed; it’s mental. You can’t harp on mistakes this year he’s done just that.”

He certainly has — to the tune of 29 receptions for 729 yards and 25.1 YPC. Cain, an Auburn commitment, also had 12 touchdowns receiving and a 13th by means of a kickoff return.

Cain’s senior season stat line is telling. Midway through the fall, the speedster has ascended to the No. 37-rated WR in the On300 and sharpened up other areas of his game.

“He had one dropped deep ball, then came back and had three touchdowns. When that moment happened, he bounced back,” Calcagni recounted. “He stuck to the plan and trusted the process, and that’s when I knew this kid is gonna have a special year.”

“It was a mental hurdle to overcome, and I’m still proud of him,” he added. “He doesn’t get fazed, he bounces back, he takes coaching, and he’s done that in a year and a half of football.”

A dozen receiving touchdowns through seven contests doesn’t tell the entire story.

This time last year, his coach said the four-star pass-catcher might not realize that a stick route is a hitch. Remember, he was a .600 hitter as a sophomore and in and out of the lineup in his first year playing the sport.

Cain, who clocked a 10.81 100-meter this spring and a 4.35 40 at Ole Miss in June, is seeing the fruits of his labor this fall.

“He’s a quick learner,” Calcagni said. “He’s different and he scares people. He can go over the top. He’s physically gifted and has unreal speed. He has SEC talent written all over him. He grew each week last year and now, he has the best hands on the team. He’s a special player. He’s a DeVonta Smith type of guy; his work ethic is insane. He’s gone up and caught balls over people; he’s an unreal ball tracker and he’s super competitive as well. When you get that and he’s figured it all out, he’s gonna be a helluva player in college.”

• 3 weeks later...