Did we turn a corner today?

ScotsAU

There’s already a thread on moral victories. And I’m never a fan of claiming them. The ugly win at cal was still a win. The loss to UGA was still a loss… to one of our biggest rivals, and honestly the one I can’t stand the most. It hurts, and I’m far from celebrating tonight.
But… UGA has a legit defense, and we were in it until the end. The coaches finally found something that works with our personnel. For the first time since Bo Nix went down in 2021, it felt like the offense had an identity. 
Thoughts?

Edited by ScotsAU

Until we can stop teams from converting 3rd down and bazillion yards to first downs we will never see a corner to turn just a huge circle that has plagued us for years 

• Like 4

Yes. Rome wasn't built in a day and with 18 - 22 yo's, a huge part of the building is creating confidence they can go toe to toe w/ #1. QBs, WRs, Xs & Os blah blah blah, with a fan board the criticism can be disproportionate and frankly just rage. This was a HUGE step in the right direction. Gotta love fan boards though - e.g. simple fix for next game: when QBs have to consistently jump to catch snaps,  it screws up entire plays (cough cough UGa 12 yd line turnover on downs) and that's NOT a "being in the shotgun" problem.

• Like 1

It was nice to see the offensive line be aggressive and create a push. I’m disappointed on 4th and a few inches we chose to punt once, and didn’t get under center in the other 4th and one. I felt like we had enough push to convert both of those. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No. When we can have a consistent and unpredictable passing game and can convert 3rd and 4th and 1's, then we can say we turned the corner. 

Couldn't agree with this more. In football and life these players will learn that we go up against many 4th and 1 situations and sometimes we won't have the advantage of size, resources, numbers or strength but it will come down to how bad  you want to succeed. They won't always win the one on ones but when they figure out they can then it will be easier the next time to believe. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No. When we can have a consistent and unpredictable passing game and can convert 3rd and 4th and 1's, then we can say we turned the corner. 

If anything, today reaffirmed that the thing in the distance that we've been squinting at is, in fact, THE corner. On the bright side, we're heading in the right direction and we've got a guy leading us that knows the way. 

Bird is correct. We did not. While effort and D was good, our offense especially the QB play is still awful. The inability to throw for 100 yds per game is staggering. 
I watch other games on TV and I just don’t understand it. I have not been to any games so for those that have, my question is are our receivers open? Can PT just not see them or are our receivers just that bad also? 
It was good to play the game close but expectations need to be tempered. The likely hood of a winning season and a bowl game is shaken at best. I see 2 more games we should win. A 6 and 6 season rests on us beating MSU. 

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If anything, today reaffirmed that the thing in the distance that we've been squinting at is, in fact, THE corner. On the bright side, we're heading in the right direction and we've got a guy leading us that knows the way. 

This ^^^^100 %.   The 3rd and short’s and 4th and shorter’s are dumbfounded.   

Also, I think that any fan who is watching can see that AU has a hard time getting to the QB with just a four man rush.   On obvious 3rd and longs, AU needs to be rushing 5 at all times.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

The inability to throw for 100 yds per game is staggering. 
I watch other games on TV and I just don’t understand it.

It's incredibly inexplicable.  Without the 22 I can't say who's to blame or what's happening but man, it's ridiculous how bad we are in the most important aspect of today's game. 

• Like 1

I’m not going to comment on all of Birds posts, so I’ll post my own. The answer no. Thorne can’t throw for 100? How bad are the receivers at getting separation? The Oline ? Good grief. I think AU played above their heads due to being at home . I’m still pissed 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

38 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No. When we can have a consistent and unpredictable passing game then we can say we turned the corner. 

Glad I didn't have to say it.  When you throw for 80 yards in our 6th straight P5 game....the corner hasn't been turned.  UAB threw for 250 yards vs them.

We got gifted two short field and converted 2x.  Kudos to us for doing it, but that was the main difference vs A&M

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Exactly!  It's so weird 

Montgomery will be gone, hopefully. 

Freeze asks Gus to be the new OC next year when he is unemployed.

giphy.gif

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Buckle up

image.thumb.png.4b2f75639d1076ea4ce809bb7bb39029.png

LSU and Ole Miss defenses are soooooooooo bad.  IDK how we're going to be able to score enough points vs either

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

LSU and Ole Miss defenses are soooooooooo bad.  IDK how we're going to be able to score enough points vs either

Then again, what defenses have they faced

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

There’s already a thread on moral victories. And I’m never a fan of claiming them. The ugly win at cal was still a win. The loss to UGA was still a loss… to one of our biggest rivals, and honestly the one I can’t stand the most. It hurts, and I’m far from celebrating tonight.
But… UGA has a legit defense, and we were in it until the end. The coaches finally found something that works with our personnel. For the first time since Bo Nix went down in 2021, it felt like the offense had an identity. 
Thoughts?

I would classify it more as: "the light came on for a few of our players" .  not yet turning the corner,  but we are approaching the corner.

• Like 2

Absolutely not. 

We may be approaching the corner mentally, but nowhere near otherwise. 

Until we have some DL who can get pressure on the QB, some more dogs at safety, WR, and can learn to consistently complete a forward pass we're still a long way from the corner. 

Our passing game is pathetic. Just can't think of a more appropriate word to describe it. 

Edited by Eagle-1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Bird is correct. We did not. While effort and D was good, our offense especially the QB play is still awful. The inability to throw for 100 yds per game is staggering. 
I watch other games on TV and I just don’t understand it. I have not been to any games so for those that have, my question is are our receivers open? Can PT just not see them or are our receivers just that bad also? 
It was good to play the game close but expectations need to be tempered. The likely hood of a winning season and a bowl game is shaken at best. I see 2 more games we should win. A 6 and 6 season rests on us beating MSU. 

The QB play wasn't as bad as some are claiming. WRs didn't help. Payton threw at least 5 balls on the money that were flat out dropped. They would have resulted in huge plays. The last drive was a great example. He made all the right decisions, made good throws, and WRs just dropped everything. Hunter might still be running if he had caught that pass. He was running full speed and had space. 

• Like 5