2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

43 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

What!?!

What you talking about Willis!!

Gotta blame it on the rain. 

I’m disappointed that song was actually playing in my head while I typed that. 

Edited by aujohnson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I heard we have money to spend - just choosing where to spend it and it’s not on the portal.  The plan is to get high school kids in, develop them, then keep them with NIL.

1 minute ago, AUY2K said:

I heard we have money to spend - just choosing where to spend it and it’s not on the portal.  The plan is to get high school kids in, develop them, then keep them with NIL.

Sounds like a winning strategy if we can make it work.  👍🏼

• Love 1

3 hours ago, woodford said:

Don’t think these are reliable at all. Alabama does not that the NIL operation that Texas, A&M, FSU, and Auburn has according to the insiders I trust. 

Now, they’re about to up their game because the Saban discount is gone. 

Not to be argumentative but off of what data are basing that from? Insiders???? I’m genuinely curious why people would doubt the ON3 calculations. 

20 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

Harbaugh to the Chargers.

Any chance we can purge some of Michigan players?

Where are you seeing this at?

3 hours ago, AUY2K said:

My thoughts are that Kiffin strategy is better. Use most of NIL to get proven good/great players every year and using schollys/smaller NIL offering for HS players to build around them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Where are you seeing this at?

Reported this afternoon - he’s met with them twice now.   Of course he could be milking this to the max to get a heck of a pay raise out of Michigan.  I know if I were Michigan I’d do everything possible to keep him because if he leaves it would set back that program back big time.  I’m sure the PTB at UM are watching what is going on at bammer now.

Edited by AUY2K

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

My thoughts are that Kiffin strategy is better. Use most of NIL to get proven good/great players every year and using schollys/smaller NIL offering for HS players to build around them.

I’m leaning that way as well. Throwing the majority of NIL money at high school kids seems like a pretty risky investment 

34 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

Reported this afternoon - he’s met with them twice now.   Of course he could be milking this to the max to get a heck of a pay raise out of Michigan.  I know if I were Michigan I’d do everything possible to keep him because if he leaves it would set back that program back big time.  I’m sure the PTB at UM are watching what is going on at bammer now.

I believe he has met twice with Atlanta, also.

5 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Not to be argumentative but off of what data are basing that from? Insiders???? I’m genuinely curious why people would doubt the ON3 calculations. 

Bud Elliott from 247 is one I trust a lot when it comes to this stuff. Just ask yourself, why would Alabama have such a massive NIL operation? They don't have to pay a premium. I'd be willing to bet that most recruits would take a pay cut to go to Alabama. 

It's not always the cash that drives these decisions. The elite who are lucky enough to not be surrounded by idiots know that playing for Saban or Kirby is better than making a few hundred thousand more and going to somewhere like Florida for the time being.

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Bud Elliott from 247 is one I trust a lot when it comes to this stuff. Just ask yourself, why would Alabama have such a massive NIL operation? They don't have to pay a premium. I'd be willing to bet that most recruits would take a pay cut to go to Alabama. 

It's not always the cash that drives these decisions. The elite who are lucky enough to not be surrounded by idiots know that playing for Saban or Kirby is better than making a few hundred thousand more and going to somewhere like Florida for the time being.

IT's a double edge sword.   You go to bama for a year,  and suddenly you are worth more in the portal than bama is willing to pay.

Teams desperate for a LB will be willing to up the anti and pay more than bama pays each of their many  LBs.

bama will soon be used for the name and to get more NIL from other schools with less talent across the team willing to pay more for a single player or two.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

bama will soon be used for the name and to get more NIL from other schools with less talent across the team willing to pay more for a single player or two.

The Tuskalosers won't be the only school this happens to. It's already going on to some extent across the board. This BS has taken a lot of the fun out of college football for me.

• Like 2

Bama has been getting an NIL discount because of Saban.  The will not get the discount on the name Alabama alone. 

• Like 3

The bammers weren’t saying a word when they were poaching the Jamison Williams’, To’O’To’s, and Jhamir Gibbs’. Now they’re all up in arms

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, jluvah said:

The bammers weren’t saying a word when they were poaching the Jamison Williams’, To’O’To’s, and Jhamir Gibbs’. Now they’re all up in arms

cYUmyNSZ6T7acJIGHr.webp

On 1/22/2024 at 5:51 PM, Hank2020 said:

It’s all a risk right now, but I think it’s a bad idea to ignore either side. You’re going to have to re-recruit your roster every single year, but Auburn also can’t ignore the holes we have going into the next couple of years. Freeze obviously feels comfortable with the patience of the money men, but the fans will wear thin if he isn’t in a clearly better place in year three. We lose a lot of starting pieces going into this season and offensive improvement is no guarantee with the inexperience at key positions. If some of that high school talent gets bought away going into year three, Hugh will have a lot of ground to make up in the portal, which he hasn’t handled all that well to date. 

Success as a head coach to me seems more about overall roster management than purely high school recruiting. Freeze is gambling a bit. We’ll see how that works out.

10 hours ago, aucom96 said:

It’s all a risk right now, but I think it’s a bad idea to ignore either side. You’re going to have to re-recruit your roster every single year, but Auburn also can’t ignore the holes we have going into the next couple of years. Freeze obviously feels comfortable with the patience of the money men, but the fans will wear thin if he isn’t in a clearly better place in year three. We lose a lot of starting pieces going into this season and offensive improvement is no guarantee with the inexperience at key positions. If some of that high school talent gets bought away going into year three, Hugh will have a lot of ground to make up in the portal, which he hasn’t handled all that well to date. 

Success as a head coach to me seems more about overall roster management than purely high school recruiting. Freeze is gambling a bit. We’ll see how that works out.

Seems like a lot of gnashing of teeth to me. If on field production doesn't make a marked improvement this year then it really isn't going to matter, and it improves then it's just a matter of signing the checks.

Well,  now it’s official according to espn…harbaugh to the chargers.

Time to poach an OT or OG from Michigan!!

Edited by AUY2K
  • Like 2

Transfer haul not as bad as some are trying to make it.

Auburn dubbed a 'transfer portal winner' by The Athletic

Taylor Jones

Auburn’s coaching staff is working hard to fill key areas with transfer portal additions, and are currently succeeding.

The Tigers will have added a talented wide receiver, a sturdy offensive lineman, and several solid defensive additions which should help boost its stock in the upcoming 2024 season. The haul has been impressive so far, and outlets such as The Athletic are taking notice.

Manny Navarro of The Athletic recently revealed his winners and losers from the SEC when it comes to their activity in the transfer portal. At the front of the “winners” list is Auburn. Navarro says the Tigers’ transfer additions have outweighed their departures.

Auburn’s recruiting has been on the uptick since Hugh Freeze took over. The 2024 class ranks No. 8 after the early signing period and the Tigers are also bringing in quality talent in the portal. Among the notable additions are former Georgia State standout receiver Robert Lewis (70 catches, 877 yards in 2023), ex-Mississippi State left tackle Percy Lewis (seven starts in 2023), former Texas and Minnesota defensive tackle Trill Carter (31 career starts), ex-Duke linebacker Dorian Mausi(27 starts) and former Texas safety Jerrin Thompson (31 starts).

Those pickups outweigh the losses of 2022 starting quarterback Robby Ashford (South Carolina) and linebacker Cam Riley and safety Donovan Kaufman, who both ranked in the top 11 on the team in tackles last season and haven’t found new landing spots yet.

Antonio Kite (CB-Alabama), Jerrin Thompson (S-Texas), Percy Lewis (OT-Mississippi State), and rico walker (TE-Maryland) are the most notable transfer additions for Auburn so far, as they all join the roster as four-star transfers according to 247Sports.

Joining Auburn as “winners” include Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Missouri. Arkansas and Florida were teams who “broke even”, while Alabama, Mississippi State, and Vanderbilt joined the “losers” category.

• Like 2

CHF is on a mission 

• Love 1

52 minutes ago, toddc said:

CHF is on a mission 

👍🏼

Going to need some good scouts in this NIL/transfer era. 

Edited by aujohnson

1 hour ago, toddc said:

CHF is on a mission 

What I like with the GM type he just added and now this he has recognized he needed help in this area and has done something about it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

What I like with the GM type he just added and now this he has recognized he needed help in this area and has done something about it.

Same . People were up in arms because we pointed out it was a struggle when Hugh recognized it and was willing to get help. 

• Like 1