2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

6 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Bingo. Day will still take a crap this season 

He is in desperation mode. His seat is on fire. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

That is what winning programs do when they are pissed at their rivals. 

I think OSU has spent the 3rd most amount of NIL money on players. Texas being 1st. Bama 2nd. 

Ryan Day on Game Day recently publicly recruiting players… “don’t go chasing the money come to Ohio State” 

Edited by GreenTiger
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

I think OSU has spent the 3rd most amount of NIL money on players. Texas being 1st. Bama 2nd. 

Ryan Day on Game Day recently publicly recruiting players… “don’t go chasing the money come to Ohio State” 

Wait a minute.

We were told bama's NIL is barely surviving.

It was all about the midget man getting them to the NFL.

This can't be right!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Wait a minute.

We were told bama's NIL is barely surviving.

It was all about the midget man getting them to the NFL.

This can't be right!

Yeah. Not sure how reliable this info is but…

IMG_4366.png

19 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

IMG_4366.png

Impressive then, that we've gotten the recruiting results we've had.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Impressive then, that we've gotten the recruiting results we've had.

Impressive definitely. but is it sustainable if the top programs are doubling or tripling our NIL money. That scares the hell out of me.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, shabby said:

Impressive definitely. but is it sustainable if the top programs are doubling or tripling our NIL money. That scares the hell out of me.

Maybe, but keep in mind that this is the final year of Gus's contract period. Two years after that and we'll be free of Potato Man's. In other words, it's very possible we'll have a lot more $ to spend. 🤷‍♂️

These are ON3 NIL valuations. From their website, here is their methodology:

On3 NIL Valuation

The On3 NIL Valuation is an index that looks to set the standard market value for both high school and college-level athletes. The NIL valuation does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals an athlete has completed to date. It rather signifies an athlete’s value at a certain moment in time.

The NIL valuation is comprised of a number of dynamic data points that focus on two primary factors – an athlete’s social media presence and their level of athletic performance.

A base valuation is generated from the number of followers on each social media platform an athlete has (Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok). Each platform is weighted differently based on the number of marketing dollars that brands and advertisers typically spend on each.

My takeaway of the number is that this is ON3's estimate of the worth of that team's roster. Does not necessarily correlate to the actual NIL dollars that school has IMHO

• Like 4

Day better win this year or next at OSU.  If not, he’ll get the Jimbo treatment.  Money guys don’t seem to like spending all that money, and not winning it all.

1 hour ago, akillshot said:

These are ON3 NIL valuations. From their website, here is their methodology:

On3 NIL Valuation

The On3 NIL Valuation is an index that looks to set the standard market value for both high school and college-level athletes. The NIL valuation does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals an athlete has completed to date. It rather signifies an athlete’s value at a certain moment in time.

The NIL valuation is comprised of a number of dynamic data points that focus on two primary factors – an athlete’s social media presence and their level of athletic performance.

A base valuation is generated from the number of followers on each social media platform an athlete has (Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok). Each platform is weighted differently based on the number of marketing dollars that brands and advertisers typically spend on each.

My takeaway of the number is that this is ON3's estimate of the worth of that team's roster. Does not necessarily correlate to the actual NIL dollars that school has IMHO

Exactly, this is a slightly educated guess. And the team rankings that result are definitely not accurate. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 4:43 PM, yngwie1995 said:

f it's close, you go with a new guy, because part of that is the locker room support.

@yngwie1995 Last I heard Thorne had the locker room support.

On 1/18/2024 at 10:15 PM, War to the Eagle said:

I mean, I wonder if Hugh likes what he's seen from Walker White enough to think he can go as a freshman.  I know his reviews have been stellar, especially recently. 

It's a big roll of the dice, but maybe why he's saying the QB competition has been reopened.  If White's as good as advertised, maybe Hugh rolls with PT and WW, not HB.

@War to the Eagle Plan for a long time is for WW to RS as a freshman. Haven't seen new info saying  otherwise FWIW.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, shabby said:

@shabby A lot of those numbers are likely as fake as the Milli Vanilli singers.

@AUwent

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/18/2024 at 10:15 PM, War to the Eagle said:

I mean, I wonder if Hugh likes what he's seen from Walker White enough to think he can go as a freshman.  I know his reviews have been stellar, especially recently. 

It's a big roll of the dice, but maybe why he's saying the QB competition has been reopened.  If White's as good as advertised, maybe Hugh rolls with PT and WW, not HB.

It should just be a truly open competition. Usually QB competitions ain’t even really competitions, coaches know who they’re taking before camp ends.

If Freeze sticks by PT without giving everybody else a true chance then Freeze might not be an Auburn coach for long

12 hours ago, shabby said:

Not anything we can do about that.

13 hours ago, shabby said:

I feel sorry for Vandy. Every time they get a decent player somebody swipes the guy. This current setup is a pile of crap but no, I don't have a solution that would pass the court rulings. There may not be one.

• Like 1

I’d like to see a one time only transfer rule with the only exception being if the head coach leaves, anything else you sit out a year. The transfer anytime for any reason is just too much chaos. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't have a solution that would pass the court rulings.

I’m not a lawyer, but I think there’s a lot that could be done to limit the madness. The NCAA should:

*Have only one portal window per year, and limit it to two weeks 

*Set a limit to how many parental players a given program can take in a year (5?)

*A player can only transfer once and must be at a school for at least two seasons, or have to sit out a year if less than two.

These things would preserve the freedoms of student athletes to transfer while significantly limiting the chaos we have now. 

***Bonus Rule: Eliminate 6th and 7th (and 9th) year seniors. That’s just ridiculous. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

IMG_4366.png

Don’t think these are reliable at all. Alabama does not that the NIL operation that Texas, A&M, FSU, and Auburn has according to the insiders I trust. 

Now, they’re about to up their game because the Saban discount is gone. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

IMG_4366.png

I think this is more likely

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

A lot of those numbers are likely as fake as the Milli Vanilli singers.

What!?!

What you talking about Willis!!

• Haha 1