Coach Hugh Freeze

bishoptf

14 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

So, we should expect 11 wins and a spot in SEC championship game next yr?

And the #1 recruiting class. 

• Like 2

I keep saying that Hugh Freeze's teams and his career seem to be way up and way down like a rollercoaster. Well, just look at this season: we win our first 3 games, we lose our next 4 games in a row, then we win the next 3 games in a row and then lose our final 3 games in a row. 

Make whatever excuse as to why it happened but the fact still remains that it's up and down, up and down. 

• Like 2

Anybody remember when Hugh Freeze took that loaded Ole Miss squad up to Arkansas and got skunked by a Brett Bielema team? He’s always going to poop his pants at least once a year. We spent the last four years moving on from Gus to arrive at Gus Light. I’m exhausted, but I’ll be in section 106 to watch Bruce Pearl and the boys dunk on Penn. I just wanna be competitive every Saturday. That’s all I’m asking for. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I keep saying that Hugh Freeze's teams and his career seem to be way up and way down like a rollercoaster. Well, just look at this season: we win our first 3 games, we lose our next 4 games in a row, then we win the next 3 games in a row and then lose our final 3 games in a row. 

Make whatever excuse as to why it happened but the fact still remains that it's up and down, up and down. 

So it wouldlook better to lose every other game rather than 3 in a row. This is a good example of stats that actually do not show anything other than we lost too many games. Has more to do with who the games were against.

Bottom line, yeah, freeze inherited a team that was vastly short of sec caliber talent. But the bottom line,...the buck stops with chf. Stop placing blame on players who had no business being on the field for Auburn.

28 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Bottom line, yeah, freeze inherited a team that was vastly short of sec caliber talent. But the bottom line,...the buck stops with chf. Stop placing blame on players who had no business being on the field for Auburn.

Maybe the coach has no business being at Auburn.

His honeymoon and pathetic lies/excuses are over.

Auburn has regressed this season in coaching and player development.

Edited by TigerOne
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 2

On 12/31/2023 at 8:38 AM, bishoptf said:

I'm the one who posted and I didn't really mean this to be a flame CHF thread, I was hoping someone could tell me what they have seen from CHF coaching this year that gives you hope that when he HAS more talent that it will translate to more wins. I mean it should but the problem I am having is I have not seen great coaching this year, you can say that he doesn't have the talent but I would argue a GOOD/GREAT coach makes lemonade from lemons and he wins the games he should. Maybe is a good coach but at least for me this season I have not really seen that and I was hoping that someone, ANYONE could tell me what I am missing...right now all I have seen is a coach that really seems to care less about winning and more about making excuses. Again really glad he is recruiting and I know everyone says that's going to help turn things around, but what I have seen from a coaching perspective this year, the coaching side leaves a lot to be desired....

I guess I will add that to me a great coach just wins and doesn't have to make excuses...

This times 1,000,000

One item of interest...Michigan's last 4 recruiting classes:

2023 - 20
2022 - 12
2021 - 13
2020 - 12

Coaching matters

3 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

My "Mark My Word" this year was that Freeze would win one game he shouldn't and lose one game he shouldn't. I was close!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, OfficiatingExpert said:

Anybody remember when Hugh Freeze took that loaded Ole Miss squad up to Arkansas and got skunked by a Brett Bielema team? He’s always going to poop his pants at least once a year. We spent the last four years moving on from Gus to arrive at Gus Light. I’m exhausted, but I’ll be in section 106 to watch Bruce Pearl and the boys dunk on Penn. I just wanna be competitive every Saturday. That’s all I’m asking for. 

You do realize that CNS always loses one game a year right?

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

So it wouldlook better to lose every other game rather than 3 in a row. This is a good example of stats that actually do not show anything other than we lost too many games. Has more to do with who the games were against.

New Mexico State, Maryland without their QB or top 3 defensive players. We got out of the Cal game with highway robbery. Did we beat a single team with a winning record this season?

Go read the article from after the Maryland game of what Thorne, Fairweather and Faulk all said about the culture of this team all season. Players not showing up to team meetings on time. There's a huge divide on this team and the players, as well as Hugh, are saying there's a big culture problem on this team. They're saying it's getting worse over time, not better. But I guess Hugh is out recruiting WR's and can't be there to fix the issues. 

In Hugh's postgame pressers all year or pressers during the week he tells reporters "I called plays against Georgia. I didn't call plays against NMSU. I called plays against Bama. I didn't call plays against Maryland. I wasn't in on the game planning for Maryland. I made the gameplan for Arkansas." 

Remember during the year when the commentators for our game said "We talked to Hugh at dinner last night and he said Montgomery calls plays when Payton Thorne is in and Hugh calls plays when Robby is in." Remember that? It sounds unorganized as hell. Thorne and Robby even said they had no idea why they continued swapping QB's nearly all season. It clearly wasn't working and neither QB had ever been in a system where they swapped out mid drive multiple times a game. But Hugh kept doing it and then after 9 games he says "Did playing 2 QB's work? Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. I still believe 2 QB's will work." Its like he couldn't swallow his pride and just say my plan didn't work. Hell, all of us fans hated it all year and the 2 QB's said they didn't like it. Why can't the QB Guru see that as well?

Maybe it's just me but Hugh Freeze seems very unorganized. I feel he is a good offensive mind, a great recruiter of high school players, mediocre in the portal and VERY unorganized as a CEO of the Auburn football program. I usually wouldn't turn to his off the field issues but for this conversation I am. His personal life, off the field life, was very crazy and very unorganized while he coached Ole Miss. His life seemed very easy while he coached Arky State and Liberty. And here at Auburn, it seems to be too much for him in my opinion. I think Hugh is a good COACH but a bad CEO. And just like Cole Cubelic has said when he talked to all the AD's at SEC schools, they don't look for an X's and O's coach anymore to lead their football programs. They look for people that are great at being the CEO type because today's college football is very big business and the head coach has so much on his plate. He has to be able to be very organized and almost military like Saban, Kirby, etc. Look how quick Ed Orgeron bombed out at LSU and Ole Miss. His personal life was absolutely crazy and it showed. Look how Les Miles off field life got crazy at LSU and he bombed out soon after. Look at the old Lane Kiffin and his off field life and his coaching was terrible. Kiffin has now divorced, settled down and his record shows that on the field. Those SEC AD's told Cole Cubelic that most the time a coaches personal life will mirror his coaching. I believe that. I don't think Hugh Freeze and even Bryan Harsin fully grasped what they were getting into taking this job. This isn't 2012 SEC ball anymore and Hugh has said that a few times. He has mentioned he loved golfing 2 or 3 days a week at Liberty but never golfs here at Auburn due to the workload. He has said his wife asks him why did he get back into the SEC West again. 

I watch all of Hugh's interviews that I can find and he seems to me like he didn't fully realize what he was getting back into. He even said a few times when hired that he has always turned programs around very quickly and this one would be no different. Then in fall camp he says he didn't realize just how far off we are and that it won't be a quick turnaround. 

Sorry for the long post but just me personally, I think that Hugh struggles with organization and struggles with big jobs. Ole Miss was off the rails for him and this season seems unorganized if you listen to everything he and the players say. I think Group of 5 head coach or an OC at a Power 5 school is more his speed. Just my opinion.

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

He means that Hugh Freeze always has a WTF stinker game every year like NMSU this year, Maryland this year, NMSU last year, etc. He loses a game or games every year where he is a big favorite but gets beat by 2 or more TD's. 

Saban doesn't do that every year or ever really. Saban usually loses in OT or by a few points. His big losses are 2 TD's by Ohio State or a 12 point loss to Auburn in 2017. 

Saban and Hugh Freeze's losses aren't even in the same universe. I'm sure someone will point out losing on the road to La Monroe and that's fine. Bama was coming off probation but whatever. 

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

New Mexico State, Maryland without their QB or top 3 defensive players. We got out of the Cal game with highway robbery. Did we beat a single team with a winning record this season?

Go read the article from after the Maryland game of what Thorne, Fairweather and Faulk all said about the culture of this team all season. Players not showing up to team meetings on time. There's a huge divide on this team and the players, as well as Hugh, are saying there's a big culture problem on this team. They're saying it's getting worse over time, not better. But I guess Hugh is out recruiting WR's and can't be there to fix the issues. 

In Hugh's postgame pressers all year or pressers during the week he tells reporters "I called plays against Georgia. I didn't call plays against NMSU. I called plays against Bama. I didn't call plays against Maryland. I wasn't in on the game planning for Maryland. I made the gameplan for Arkansas." 

Remember during the year when the commentators for our game said "We talked to Hugh at dinner last night and he said Montgomery calls plays when Payton Thorne is in and Hugh calls plays when Robby is in." Remember that? 

Maybe it's just me but Hugh Freeze seems very unorganized. I feel he is a good offensive mind, a great recruiter of high school players, mediocre in the portal and VERY unorganized as a CEO of the Auburn football program. I usually wouldn't turn to his off the field issues but for this conversation I am. His personal life, off the field life, was very crazy and very unorganized while he coached Ole Miss. His life seemed very easy while he coached Arky State and Liberty. And here at Auburn, it seems to be too much for him in my opinion. I think Hugh is a good COACH but a bad CEO. And just like Cole Cubelic has said when he talked to all the AD's at SEC schools, they don't look for an X's and O's coach anymore to lead their football programs. They look for people that are great at being the CEO type because today's college football is very big business and the head coach has so much on his plate. He has to be able to be very organized and almost military like Saban, Kirby, etc. Look how quick Ed Orgeron bombed out at LSU and Ole Miss. His personal life was absolutely crazy and it showed. Look how Les Miles off field life got crazy at LSU and he bombed out soon after. Look at the old Lane Kiffin and his off field life and his coaching was terrible. Kiffin has now divorced, settled down and his record shows that on the field. Those SEC AD's told Cole Cubelic that most the time a coaches personal life will mirror his coaching. I believe that. I don't think Hugh Freeze and even Bryan Harsin fully grasped what they were getting into taking this job. This isn't 2012 SEC ball anymore and Hugh has said that a few times. He has mentioned he loved golfing 2 or 3 days a week at Liberty but never golfs here at Auburn due to the workload. He has said his wife asks him why did he get back into the SEC West again. 

I watch all of Hugh's interviews that I can find and he seems to me like he didn't fully realize what he was getting back into. He even said a few times when hired that he has always turned programs around very quickly and this one would be no different. Then in fall camp he says he didn't realize just how far off we are and that it won't be a quick turnaround. 

Sorry for the long post but just me personally, I think that Hugh struggles with organization and struggles with big jobs. Ole Miss was off the rails for him and this season seems unorganized if you listen to everything he and the players say. I think Group of 5 head coach or an OC at a Power 5 school is more his speed. Just my opinion.

You have exposed what Auburn got sold. Freeze is in over his head, expected the assistants to do the coaching, and he would do the recruiting. Easy right?

Freeze is clueless on gameday and No one fears him not even the players.

He was so happy to get a real coaching job he would say anything to get it . Thinking I can fake it till I make it. Auburn conned  again by a snake oil salesman.

Start making a list for a real coach 

Edited by TigerOne
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Make that two lol 

25 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Remember during the year when the commentators for our game said "We talked to Hugh at dinner last night and he said Montgomery calls plays when Payton Thorne is in and Hugh calls plays when Robby is in." Remember that? It sounds unorganized as hell. Thorne and Robby even said they had no idea why they continued swapping QB's nearly all season. It clearly wasn't working and neither QB had ever been in a system where they swapped out mid drive multiple times a game. But Hugh kept doing it and then after 9 games he says "Did playing 2 QB's work? Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. I still believe 2 QB's will work." Its like he couldn't swallow his pride and just say my plan didn't work. Hell, all of us fans hated it all year and the 2 QB's said they didn't like it. Why can't the QB Guru see that as well?

An excellent hypothesis and analysis.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

All well said. 

I find it interesting (sad really) a coach, or any leader, after a year, would still be complaining about culture.  Who owns setting the culture?  The leader.

Pat Dye's 1st year, on the field, was poor.  But he damn sure changed the culture that year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, japantiger said:

Pat Dye's 1st year, on the field, was poor.  But he damn sure changed the culture that year.

Very true.   But the college game has changed so much since then its almost unrecognizable. 

11 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Very true.   But the college game has changed so much since then its almost unrecognizable. 

Dye would have kicked Freeze to the curb after that Maryland game

11 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

I agree that you can't do it the way Dye did it; but you can still do it.  Saban does.  Do you think you can play and miss meetings in his program? Of course not...there have to be standards; non negotiables that must be met to get on the field; or now even before getting paid.

I heard CHF in some interview saying it was incredibly difficult to recruit the high school prospects while re-recruiting players on the team. Said he wished the portal was only open for 7 days. Okay, duh. All coaches are dealing with that. But he sounded really fatigued and threw in other expressions akin to 'trying to figure it out' and hoping some guys on our team self-organize a beneficial culture. The last part was the first time I went, "Oh," like 'building the ethic and unity is still a TBD.' Yeah we don't know exactly when we'll turn the corner yet. That was before the bowl game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Saban has gone undefeated twice at Bama. He's lost ONLY one game 6 times. 

Freeze was on the losing end of the two biggest upsets by point spread in the last few years. In addition to the NMSU game at AU, his Liberty team lost to Louisiana Monroe as a 32.5 point favorite. Freeze has one season at Liberty where he lost only one game. His best season at Ole Miss they lost 4 games. 

It's not in our best interest to compare Freeze to Saban. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, AUx said:

I heard CHF in some interview saying it was incredibly difficult to recruit the high school prospects while re-recruiting players on the team. Said he wished the portal was only open for 7 days. Okay, duh. All coaches are dealing with that. But he sounded really fatigued and threw in other expressions akin to 'trying to figure it out' and hoping some guys on our team self-organize a beneficial culture. The last part was the first time I went, "Oh," like 'building the ethic and unity is still a TBD.' Yeah we don't know exactly when we'll turn the corner yet. That was before the bowl game.

He’s in way over his head. Was seduced by high dollars and power 5 program. Reality is setting in and he’s like a spider on a hot plate.

only question now is can he hire the right assistants to cover his lack of coaching before he’s fired 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

Interesting analysis. Makes a lot of sense. 

This was always going to be a tough season. I think the real problem is that the team did so well in the Georgia and Alabama games that fans got their hopes up where they should not be. This is a rebuilding year for a team that had lots of holes and issues from the previous coaching staffs.

Next year will also be a rebuilding year, so be ready for more heart break. We may only win 1-2 more games. We will lose ugly in some. 

Look at what Florida State has endured to get back on top. Fortunately they stuck with Norvell when many fans were ready to move on. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, WarEagle231 said:

This was always going to be a tough season. I think the real problem is that the team did so well in the Georgia and Alabama games that fans got their hopes up where they should not be. This is a rebuilding year for a team that had lots of holes and issues from the previous coaching staffs.

Next year will also be a rebuilding year, so be ready for more heart break. We may only win 1-2 more games. We will lose ugly in some. 

Look at what Florida State has endured to get back on top. Fortunately they stuck with Norvell when many fans were ready to move on. 

There is only one problem. FSU plays in the ACC and Auburn plays in the SEC which has just become much tougher with the addition. For me it’s proof of concept and competent coaching. Just like Norvell succeeded u have the Jimbo and Jeremy Pruitts of the world who didn’t . Heck u can even throw in Auburns previous coach .Time will tell which side CHF falls on

Edited by e808