Coach Caddy Resigns

RunInRed

59 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

Dude, you are smoking crack! Who held the team together when Harsin left? Did you see how the entire Auburn family came together behind Caddy and looked like a better coached team? Somethings should be thought but never spoken.

Yawn.

When a universally hated HC (or clearly failing HC) gets fired midway through the season, the only natural response is an uptick in morale. These are kids at the end of the day so the emotional swings are going to be even more obvious. This is almost always the case; do you think the case at Auburn post Harsin would have been any different had say Zac Etheridge been named "interim HC"? How about anyone else on who remained the staff? I don't think you fully comprehend how bad team morale was by the end of Harsin's time here. The team was relieved and elated when he was removed from the position.

When Nebraska fired Scott Frost at around the same time as we fired Harsin, they saw a very similar uptick in competitiveness under interim HC Mickey Joseph. They even had a similar under-tide of small support to consider Mickey Joseph as the permanent HC - until he got arrested for domestic violence.

When LSU fired Les Miles during the season after a 2-2 start, the team turned around and finished 6-2 under Ed Orgeron. In this case, LSU actually gave in to team pressure and hired Orgeron as the permanent HC.

This is why failing to take into account the built-in "high" that occurs with an interim HC when deciding on a permanent replacement for a fired HC is so dangerous.

• Like 1

Some folks seemingly just have to have someone to point a finger at….  Sometimes life happens, folks move on.  

Frankly, we don’t deserve to know every detail of folks lives.  Even when we think we do.  There’s enough “personal matter” hints lying around that folks maybe should let it go and hope that’s all it is.. quit trying folks to run over with the bus.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tigermike said:

Logical conclusions are not appreciated by many.

Or some people just think they have to have every detail… @bigbird, PM  me…😎

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Not what is happening.

You say as he gets replaced by Nix who is what?? A Freeze disciple. Lot of rumors flying around but i'm talking about what is actually happening. An Auburn man is resigning and Freeze is replacing him with one of his guys. Thats exactly what is happening lol

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 4

1 hour ago, Zamps1976 said:

When was the last 1000 yard rusher ?

Don't be silly

7 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

When was the last time Auburn had an offensive line?  Tank was averaging his first contact 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage.  Hunter would have hit it this year if he didn’t miss the first couple games.

^Exactly

And 2021 was last 1000 yard rusher. 2022 season Tank had 970 and Hunter had near 700. 2023 season Hunter had over 900 with Hunter and Thorne having a surprisingly high amount of the total attempts. And again, with a ... let's say less than amazing Oline :lol: 

Words have meanings, and using the correct ones are important.

If Caddy wasn't your favorite coach. Say that.

If you think there are better options out there. Say that

But there are a lot of people now throwing out posts about him being a 'bad' coach. He wasn't, so when it's said it's gonna get called out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

You say as he gets replaced by Nix who is what?? A Freeze disciple. Lot of rumors flying around but i'm talking about what is actually happening. An Auburn man is resigning and Freeze is replacing him with one of his guys. Thats exactly what is happening lol

Dolt

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

Freeze didn’t do this but hey. Be you. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I'm telling you that's not what is happening, not what put this into motion, and you can either accept that some folks actually know the reason this had to happen or you can continue making s*** up.  But it will get corrected if you choose the latter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Should we be concerned that the decision as not made by the head coach?  Is there micro-management or booster meddling going on behind the scenes?

@gctiger No. Sounds like Caddy got himself in trouble from legal stand point, hence out of Freeze's hands. Boosters likely not involved in Caddy leaving.

• Thanks 1

There are so many different emotions about this situation.  I can’t really add anything to the discussion except that there are few whose blood runs more orange and blue than Carnell Williams and that is enough for me to be a little sad about him leaving right now.  I hope that he lands somewhere he can develop and reach his goals.  

As far as all of the speculation, some of you need to think about what if this was your dad, son, brother, uncle.  Would you want there to be all this mud being slung, directly or indirectly?

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm telling you that's not what is happening, not what put this into motion, and you can either accept that some folks actually know the reason this had to happen or you can continue making s*** up.  But it will get corrected if you choose the latter.

Your saying Nix isn't getting hired to replace Caddy?

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

@gravejd Only because AU has stepped in and deemed it necessary for Caddy to leave. Your posts comes accross as we are forcing Caddy out to hire Nix. The 2 aren't the same.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'm saying, this wasn't a move orchestrated to bring Freeze's guys in.  This was a hand Freeze was dealt and it wasn't up to him whether they stayed.  Like virtually every other coach in the world, he's going to choose people for open positions he's familiar with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@gravejd Only because AU has stepped in and deemed it necessary for Caddy to leave. Your posts comes accross as we are forcing Caddy out to hire Nix. The 2 aren't the same.

Thank you.  Maybe you can get through to him.

20 minutes ago, gravejd said:

So it's better for Freeze to hire some random dude he doesn't have a prior coaching relationship with, like say Philip Montgomery, and lets just see if it works out, as opposed to a guy he's worked with and had great success. Gotcha.

Or maybe your plan is to not hire anyone to replace him?

Edited by gman87

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

My doubts on this situation are not directed at you, personally (or any other mod), so please don’t take it that way, but if this was not Freeze’s intention then it is a WAY, WAY too convenient coincidence that makes it ALMOST too convenient for some to believe. 
Look, we all know and everyone warns us about what happens to assistant coaches when a new head coach is hired. Freeze came in to a situation where it was virtually impossible from a PR perspective to fire Caddy, and to a slightly lesser degree, Etheridge. Now, a year later, it still is. The only way to put a positive spin on it is for Caddy to move on to a better position or to plant a seed that insinuates something salacious that takes it out of Freeze’s hands. The first option didn’t happen, so…….

I guess we will see, soon, why Etheridge has to go. I guess that won’t have anything to do with just bringing in Freeze’s guy either?

• Facepalm 2

Well, looky there, Etheridge just got a promotion to DB coach at Houston! What a great move up for him!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PotPot said:

My doubts on this situation are not directed at you, personally (or any other mod), so please don’t take it that way, but if this was not Freeze’s intention then it is a WAY, WAY too convenient coincidence that makes it ALMOST too convenient for some to believe. 
Look, we all know and everyone warns us about what happens to assistant coaches when a new head coach is hired. Freeze came in to a situation where it was virtually impossible from a PR perspective to fire Caddy, and to a slightly lesser degree, Etheridge. Now, a year later, it still is. The only way to put a positive spin on it is for Caddy to move on to a better position or to plant a seed that insinuates something salacious that takes it out of Freeze’s hands. The first option didn’t happen, so…….

I guess we will see, soon, why Etheridge has to go. I guess that won’t have anything to do with just bringing in Freeze’s guy either?

This twitter post by Charles Goldberg should give you some more insight.  It was indeed a university decision and involved lawyers.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PotPot said:

Well, looky there, Etheridge just got a promotion to DB coach at Houston! What a great move up for him!

Queue the "Etheridge wasn't a good coach at all" posts. :lol: 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, PotPot said:

This isn't some psyop.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PotPot said:

Charles Kelly is replacing Etheridge. Charles Kelly is not a "Freeze guy".

So your point here is non-existent.

One of the two is allegedly being replaced by a "Freeze guy"; who just so happens to be a very competent candidate that Ole Miss really doesn't want to lose (Derrick Nix).

Both replacements are actually upgrades over the two guys they are replacing, so in end this actually worked out from a staffing perspective how Freeze would have liked anyway. Bringing in Charles Kelly (who is an elite recruiter in the state of Alabama) with Saban simultaneously retiring is huge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Queue the "Etheridge wasn't a good coach at all" posts. :lol: 

WRONG.  Etheridge is a very good coach.  I don't believe he's being pushed out just so Crime Dawg can come back to AU.  I also believe we'll see Etheridge on staff at AU again in the future, hopefully as a defensive coordinator.

• Like 1

i was raised in the Gadsden area and let me say everyone loved caddy before he went into coaching. if i remember he had a car wash he ran. even turd fans liked him. i just wanted to let folks caddy is genuine and people make mistakes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TigerVII said:

WRONG.  Etheridge is a very good coach.  I don't believe he's being pushed out just so Crime Dawg can come back to AU.  I also believe we'll see Etheridge on staff at AU again in the future, hopefully as a defensive coordinator.

Hopefully because he’s built his chops as a highly competent DC….. and not because “gotta hire an Auburn man”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TigerVII said:

i just read where zac brought in perry. that was huge! also i think auburns secondary improvedlast year other than the mix up in the iron bowl.