Lunardi- this doesn't make sense

The loss to KY is hurting us in everyone's eyes.  You can't lose that game on your home court and complain.  We need to revenge that loss in the SEC tournament.  We need to make the finals to solidify a 4 or win it to move to a 3.  Just my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

The loss to KY is hurting us in everyone's eyes.  You can't lose that game on your home court and complain.  We need to revenge that loss in the SEC tournament.  We need to make the finals to solidify a 4 or win it to move to a 3.  Just my opinion. 

Kentucky is really freaking good and they are showing everyone that. That wasn’t a bad loss. Just disappointing to us fan’s because of the circumstances surrounding it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KillenTime said:

The SEC tournament results have no bearing on NCAA tournament seeding unless the champion wasn't going to get invited anyway.  See 2019.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, keeperoftheplains said:

The SEC tournament results have no bearing on NCAA tournament seeding unless the champion wasn't going to get invited anyway.  See 2019.

Of course they do.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Kentucky is really freaking good and they are showing everyone that. That wasn’t a bad loss. Just disappointing to us fan’s because of the circumstances surrounding it.

Nice opinion, but I disagree.  KY had no business beating us at home.  We shot extremely poor that day.  We were over confident and distracted.  KY has lost 5 SEC games and it should have been 6 or 7.  They lost 3 games in a row at home this year.  It was a bad loss in my eyes and apparently others.  I mean Miss St. had them beat too.  In my opinion, that loss changed Joe's take on our team which was the topic of the thread. 

• Like 2

We are an interesting team for seeding this year. And really the whole top half of the SEC falls in that bucket of how do you place the teams? I mean Tenn, Kentucky, Bama, Scar, Florida and Auburn with all very similar records. If Tenn wins out they are no doubt the top SEC seed and likely get a 2 spot. But what if they lose 1 or 2 of their remaining games which are against Scar and Kentucky?? So many scenarios could still play out its hard to nail them all down. But if all the records come out similar i'd be hard pressed to seed any team other than Tenn and Kentucky higher than AU. We destroyed bama and Scar at home. Barely lost to Bama at their place. Played Tenn tough at their place. And then our 2 poor showings at Fl and then at home against Kentucky. But how you can say any of these teams are definitely better than the other when we've all beaten each other i have no idea.

I also agree with people saying SEC tourney has next to 0 impact on seeding. It can get in you in the tourney if you win it but outside of that i don't think it impacts seeding very much at all. At least that is what history has shown us. We won the thing in 2019 i think and didn't move up at all and then got upset a couple years ago and that didn't make our seed fall much at all either. 

What i think is hurting our seeding is:
1. 6 SEC teams with similar records 

2. Lack of signature high level wins away from home

3. Poor showing by our OOC opponents. Would have been nice for USC or Indiana or Virginia Tech to have good seasons. Unfortunately none of those wins look that impressive right now. 

Its been a great season and really fun to watch. Take care of business at home against uga on Saturday and we have some good momentum heading into postseason. Bet we are a team that not many people want to see in their bracket!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

We are an interesting team for seeding this year. And really the whole top half of the SEC falls in that bucket of how do you place the teams? I mean Tenn, Kentucky, Bama, Scar, Florida and Auburn with all very similar records. If Tenn wins out they are no doubt the top SEC seed and likely get a 2 spot. But what if they lose 1 or 2 of their remaining games which are against Scar and Kentucky?? So many scenarios could still play out its hard to nail them all down. But if all the records come out similar i'd be hard pressed to seed any team other than Tenn and Kentucky higher than AU. We destroyed bama and Scar at home. Barely lost to Bama at their place. Played Tenn tough at their place. And then our 2 poor showings at Fl and then at home against Kentucky. But how you can say any of these teams are definitely better than the other when we've all beaten each other i have no idea.

I also agree with people saying SEC tourney has next to 0 impact on seeding. It can get in you in the tourney if you win it but outside of that i don't think it impacts seeding very much at all. At least that is what history has shown us. We won the thing in 2019 i think and didn't move up at all and then got upset a couple years ago and that didn't make our seed fall much at all either. 

What i think is hurting our seeding is:
1. 6 SEC teams with similar records 

2. Lack of signature high level wins away from home

3. Poor showing by our OOC opponents. Would have been nice for USC or Indiana or Virginia Tech to have good seasons. Unfortunately none of those wins look that impressive right now. 

Its been a great season and really fun to watch. Take care of business at home against uga on Saturday and we have some good momentum heading into postseason. Bet we are a team that not many people want to see in their bracket!

I think I’d add our Quad 1 record to that well. It’s a glaring weakness to an otherwise impressive resume. Still an excellent season all in all. 

• Like 3

The Kentucky loss at home hurt in lots of ways.

Hope it can help be a catalyst in staying focused in the SEC Tournament.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I think I’d add our Quad 1 record to that well. It’s a glaring weakness to an otherwise impressive resume. Still an excellent season all in all. 

What sucks is that we had no control over it. We can't help that USC, Indiana, and Notre Dame have s--- the bed this year. Not to mention Arkansas.

• Like 2

If FL goes on a run in the SEC tournament and makes it to the finals or wins it, I definitely think it will impact their seeding.  I think it moves us up a line if we make the finals.  If we go one and done it will drop us a line.  I think with us all having similar records they will pencil us in slots and move us around by how we perform in the SEC tournament.  If you don't think a bama SEC tournament championship will impact their seeding then I don't know what to tell you.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KillenTime said:

I think it’s more of the out of conference schedule the issue. I would be willing to bet if Auburn had Bamas schedule would be solid 2 seed. Losing to KY at home who is in the race to win the SEC and full of highly talented players is not the issue.

Edited by e808
  • Thanks 1

His projected seeding has been a joke. At the end of the day, his opinion matters not. If we win a few more games I'm sure we'll be a 4 seed. There are not 16 teams better than we are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KillenTime said:

If FL goes on a run in the SEC tournament and makes it to the finals or wins it, I definitely think it will impact their seeding.  I think it moves us up a line if we make the finals.  If we go one and done it will drop us a line.  I think with us all having similar records they will pencil us in slots and move us around by how we perform in the SEC tournament.  If you don't think a bama SEC tournament championship will impact their seeding then I don't know what to tell you.  

Logically this makes sense. But in years past the tournament has had very little impact on seeding. Maybe this year would be different with all the teams bunched together but I doubt it. 

• Like 1

Lunardi's bracketology dropped again in last hour.

He has us as a 4 seed again. Sandwiched between KY and Illinois. The  Updykes are the final 4 seed.

As long as we beat UGA we are firmly a 4 seed. If Kentucky loses to UT then will be the highest 4th seed, hoping we can climb up to that #3 spot.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KillenTime said:

Of course they do.  

It's a timing thing.  The NCAA tournament seedings are mostly finished before the SEC championship game.  Don't you remember that AU won it in 2019, got "rewarded" with a 5 seed, and had to play a really good NM State team the same week with essentially no time to acclimate to the elevation in Utah?  AU got royally screwed after winning the SEC because the championship game was the same day that the NCAA brackets were announced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TIGERINATLANTA said:

Lunardi's bracketology dropped again in last hour.

He has us as a 4 seed again. Sandwiched between KY and Illinois. The  Updykes are the final 4 seed.

As long as we beat UGA we are firmly a 4 seed. If Kentucky loses to UT then will be the highest 4th seed, hoping we can climb up to that #3 spot.

I think a #4 seed is about the ceiling for bama. They have lost 10 ballgames already.

3 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

I think a #4 seed is about the ceiling for bama. They have lost 10 ballgames already.

*11 🤣

“Best 11 loss team in the country PAWWWWL!”

Seriously, they probably are but it’s fun to laugh.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lca408 said:

“Best 11 loss team in the country PAWWWWL!”

Well played. 

On 3/5/2024 at 1:26 PM, keeperoftheplains said:

THIS

• Like 1

21 hours ago, keeperoftheplains said:

It's a timing thing.  The NCAA tournament seedings are mostly finished before the SEC championship game.  Don't you remember that AU won it in 2019, got "rewarded" with a 5 seed, and had to play a really good NM State team the same week with essentially no time to acclimate to the elevation in Utah?  AU got royally screwed after winning the SEC because the championship game was the same day that the NCAA brackets were announced.

And don't forget we also had KY, Kansas and NC in our region. Committee did us no favors for winning SECtourney

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

Same for us. #4 seed is our ceiling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Would make sense....very similar seasons. We have a little better overall record and they have played better OOC teams.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

I think we have a slim chance of getting to a #3, if we keep winning and get some help.