Lunardi- this doesn't make sense

On 3/8/2024 at 11:29 PM, 81spacetiger said:

I thought we were a 4 seed before with no arrow.

Also, you keep citing what Auburn might do; movement this late is going to happen based on what we do + what happens around us.  This means within the SEC and the country (specifically watch what the #3 and #4 seeds do this sat and the first rounds of their respective conference.  Prime example is UK as a #4 seed.  They play @ UT tomorrow.  If they lose and exit early in the SEC CC I would think they do not stay a 4 seed.  #3 Kansas has a tough last game @ #1 Houston.  Drop that game and exit early in their CC bracket and they may fall from the 3 line.

We'll just hold our water and take care of our tasks and see where we end up.

No one knows what seed we are in the committee's eyes.  Lunardi is not the committee.  No one on this board freaking knows where we are and therefore has no idea what the impact of winning games in the SEC tournament has on our seeding.  They don't know this year and they don't know from the past.  They can act like they know something but they don't.  

• Like 2

On 3/8/2024 at 8:22 PM, Viper said:

Zero possibility we get a 3-seed with just two more wins. 

Zero possibility anyway right?  The SEC tourney doesn't matter.  If we beat TN on a neutral floor and KY in the championship game - doesn't matter.  right?  or did you change your mind?

I think if we lose to Arkansas/Vandy or South Carolina we may be a 5 seed.  If we win our first game we may be a 4 seed.  If we win 2 games in the tourney we might be a 3.  If we win it, I think we nail down a 3.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KillenTime said:

Zero possibility anyway right?  The SEC tourney doesn't matter.  If we beat TN on a neutral floor and KY in the championship game - doesn't matter.  right?  or did you change your mind?

I think if we lose to Arkansas/Vandy or South Carolina we may be a 5 seed.  If we win our first game we may be a 4 seed.  If we win 2 games in the tourney we might be a 3.  If we win it, I think we nail down a 3.  

We’re a 4-seed no matter what. 

The results of the 2019 SEC Tourney changed nothing. We came in as a projected 5-seed. We left with the trophy and a 5-seed.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Viper said:

The results of the 2019 SEC Tourney changed nothing. We came in as a projected 5-seed. We left with the trophy and a 5-seed.

Most likely yes, but you have no idea where we are in the committee's eyes.  And you don't know where we were in the 2019 either.  We may have been a 6 going in and got bumped to a 5 in 2019 for all you know.  Acting like you know is hilarious.  You know nothing Viper.   

20 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

Most likely yes, but you have no idea where we are in the committee's eyes.  And you don't know where we were in the 2019 either.  We may have been a 6 going in and got bumped to a 5 in 2019 for all you know.  Acting like you know is hilarious.  You know nothing Viper.   

Can we really know anything? What is truth.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Normally I would agree with you. However, I think one thing holding us back with human voters is we only have 1 quad 1 win right now. If we win a couple games and therefore quad 1 wins, it may matter. (Also, if Miss State wins a couple they would likely bump back up to a quad 1 win).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

And you don't know where we were in the 2019 either.  We may have been a 6 going in and got bumped to a 5 in 2019 for all you know.  Acting like you know is hilarious.  You know nothing Viper.   

NCAA Bracketology 2019: Real-Time Seed and Region Projections for All 68 Teams

KERRY MILLER

NCAA Championship - East Region

1UVA
16WEBB/WEBB
8HALL
9USU
5AUB
12LIB
4WIS
13NE
6WOF
11Play-in
3HOU
14MONT
7MD
10WASH
2UK
15BRAD

7e268d2e47e732426f5ef6ee1449b93b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

(Also, if Miss State wins a couple they would likely bump back up to a quad 1 win).

I thought Quad 1 wins were at the time of the matchup.

6 hours ago, Viper said:

You keep repeating the same thing over and over when the situations are completely different. There is tougher competition in this tournament and our current NET ranking is much higher compared to the 2018-2019 year. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KillenTime said:

Win at home vs. top 30, neutral site vs. top 50 and road win vs. top 75 in the NET rankings not the AP poll.  South Carolina is around 45 or so in the NET.   

You are wasting your time explaining.  Some people just don’t get it.  

7 hours ago, Viper said:

I can’t recall the specifics… maybe the persons thing?  But wasn’t there a storyline about the ncaa having an ax to grind with Auburn / cbp that year… hence the quick turnaround to play Thursday across the country against NMSt?  Any other year or team and there is a seeding bump?

24 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

You keep repeating the same thing over and over when the situations are completely different. There is tougher competition in this tournament and our current NET ranking is much higher compared to the 2018-2019 year. 

How are they “much” different?

2019 TN was 27-4 entering the SEC Tourney. 15-3 SEC. Grant Williams was SEC POTY.

2024 TN is 24-7 overall. 14-4 SEC. Dalton Knecht will likely be SEC POTY.

2019 UK was 26-5 entering the SEC Tourney. 15-3 SEC.

2024 UK is 23-8 overall. 13-5 SEC.

2019 LSU was 26-5 entering the SEC Tourney. 16-2 SEC.

2024 bammer is 21-10 overall. 13-5 SEC.

2019 AU was 22-9 entering the SEC Tourney. 11-7 SEC.

2024 AU is 24-7 overall. 13-5 SEC.

As similar as the two TN teams are, I would strongly argue the Top 4 SEC teams in 2019 were collectively better than the Top 4 SEC teams in 2024.

So no, there is not tougher competition in this tournament amongst the top 4. 

3 hours ago, NCAubs said:

You are wasting your time explaining.  Some people just don’t get it.  

Don't get what? We're 1-7 in Quad 1 games. The one win was at home, against a 21-10 team.

Like FL, if we could play the rest of our games at home, we might win it all.

If only "ifs" really happened.

If we wanted a higher seed than 4, we should have gone at least 3-5 in Quad 1 games.

Quad 1 wins are valued the most above all else by the committee. When has that ever changed?

It's why mid-majors can steamroll their cupcake conference, go 27-4 and only get a #9 seed. Gotta beat some big boys to get respect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

How are they “much” different?

2019 TN was 27-4 entering the SEC Tourney. 15-3 SEC. Grant Williams was SEC POTY.

2024 TN is 24-7 overall. 14-4 SEC. Dalton Knecht will likely be SEC POTY.

2019 UK was 26-5 entering the SEC Tourney. 15-3 SEC.

2024 UK is 23-8 overall. 13-5 SEC.

2019 LSU was 26-5 entering the SEC Tourney. 16-2 SEC.

2024 bammer is 21-10 overall. 13-5 SEC.

2019 AU was 22-9 entering the SEC Tourney. 11-7 SEC.

2024 AU is 24-7 overall. 13-5 SEC.

As similar as the two TN teams are, I would strongly argue the Top 4 SEC teams in 2019 were collectively better than the Top 4 SEC teams in 2024.

So no, there is not tougher competition in this tournament amongst the top 4. 

I'm talking about the teams in the SEC tournament that Auburn would play. So, yes our competition would be harder. The potential teams are South Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky/Alabama. All quad 1 games. 

We played Missouri, South Carolina, Florida, and Tennessee that year. If we win the tournament I expect you back here to explain how completely misunderstood you were. 

Edited by AU Is Gold

If the SEC tournament finished on Friday or Saturday then I think it might have an impact on the NCAA tournament seedings.  However, the committee already has those top seeds locked in by the time the SEC tournament championship game is played.  The only thing that would change the bracket is some Cinderella that wins a conference tournament championship and steals a spot from some poor sap on the bubble.

An AU loss in the quarterfinals might put doubt in the committee's mind while building the brackets.  However, winning the SEC probably isn't going to move the needle at all simply because it's too late.

9 hours ago, Viper said:

Don't get what? We're 1-7 in Quad 1 games. The one win was at home, against a 21-10 team.

Like FL, if we could play the rest of our games at home, we might win it all.

If only "ifs" really happened.

If we wanted a higher seed than 4, we should have gone at least 3-5 in Quad 1 games.

Quad 1 wins are valued the most above all else by the committee. When has that ever changed?

It's why mid-majors can steamroll their cupcake conference, go 27-4 and only get a #9 seed. Gotta beat some big boys to get respect.

How your opponents do is something you have no control over. We had several name/highly regarded teams on our out of conference schedule this year that didn't pan out (although IU has played better as of late). Much of it is pure luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Viper said:

NCAA Bracketology 2019: Real-Time Seed and Region Projections for All 68 Teams

KERRY MILLER

NCAA Championship - East Region

1UVA
16WEBB/WEBB
8HALL
9USU
5AUB
12LIB
4WIS
13NE
6WOF
11Play-in
3HOU
14MONT
7MD
10WASH
2UK
15BRAD

7e268d2e47e732426f5ef6ee1449b93b.jpg

Because you believe Kerry Miller.  LOL   So Kerry Miller publishes real time "PROJECTIONS" and you believe it.   LOL  You need to suck Kerry Miller if you like his PROJECTIONS so much.  What an idiot.  

14 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I can’t recall the specifics… maybe the persons thing?  But wasn’t there a storyline about the ncaa having an ax to grind with Auburn / cbp that year… hence the quick turnaround to play Thursday across the country against NMSt?  Any other year or team and there is a seeding bump?

Alabama's AD is on the committee this year and through 2026.    Pearl is Jewish.  I have no problem with it all, but many people do.  There is always an axe to grind and obstacles to overcome. 

16 hours ago, Viper said:

I thought Quad 1 wins were at the time of the matchup.

• Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
  • Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
  • Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
  • Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353

Nope, they are live. 

Losses:

Neutral to Baylor (14 Net)

Road To APP St. (72) Risk of dropping to quad 2 loss if they drop out of top 75

To Bama (8)

To Miss St (42)

To Florida (35)

To UT (5)

Home To UK (19)

Wins that could improve to quad 1s: Road win at Ole Miss (90 needs to get to top 75), home win vs Miss State (42 need to get to top 30), Home win vs SOuth Carolina (49 needs to get to 30).

Potential opponents as Q1 opportunity: South Carolina (49) in round 3, Miss St or UT in round 4, UA or UF or UK in round 5. 

So in a perfect world, we win 3 Q1 games and two of our existing wins bump up to Q1 and suddenly we have 6 Q1 wins. I agree usually the SEC tourney doesn't move the needle much, but we may be an exception if anything remotely close to that happens. But if App St. drops to a Q2 loss and we lose our first game, we could drop a seed line as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

What is happening in this thread…

Insanity.  Chaos.  Idiocy.  You expect anything different?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:
  • Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
  • Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
  • Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
  • Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353

Nope, they are live. 

Losses:

Neutral to Baylor (14 Net)

Road To APP St. (72) Risk of dropping to quad 2 loss if they drop out of top 75

To Bama (8)

To Miss St (42)

To Florida (35)

To UT (5)

Home To UK (19)

Wins that could improve to quad 1s: Road win at Ole Miss (90 needs to get to top 75), home win vs Miss State (42 need to get to top 30), Home win vs SOuth Carolina (49 needs to get to 30).

Potential opponents as Q1 opportunity: South Carolina (49) in round 3, Miss St or UT in round 4, UA or UF or UK in round 5. 

So in a perfect world, we win 3 Q1 games and two of our existing wins bump up to Q1 and suddenly we have 6 Q1 wins. I agree usually the SEC tourney doesn't move the needle much, but we may be an exception if anything remotely close to that happens. But if App St. drops to a Q2 loss and we lose our first game, we could drop a seed line as well. 

Good lawd.  You need help. 

By the way, I would love to be a 3 seed.  Latest I saw was a 5 against 12 Princeton.  I hope that is inaccurate.  

It’s a trap!

3 hours ago, NCAubs said:

By the way, I would love to be a 3 seed.  Latest I saw was a 5 against 12 Princeton.  I hope that is inaccurate.  

It’s a trap!

That 5 - 12 match up is ALWAYS primed for opening round upsets.

9 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

That 5 - 12 match up is ALWAYS primed for opening round upsets.

And against an Ivy League school?   Death.