2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

Another one of them athletes huh? This guy passes the eye test though . Can't wait to see him in the wildcat .

A bigger version of Kerryon ....I could live with that..

Am I the only one who isn't worried about Joey at QB, because it really looks like the window for him to play QB at Auburn may be shrinking by the day?  We have 2 solid QBs now, neither of which will likely leave this year unless they have one of the best seasons in history. We have a third who the coaches can't stop talking about. And... in 2019, there's a solid chance we will be bringing in one of the most game ready QBs we've ever recruited out of high school. What that says to me is that this is the perfect time to give a scholarship to a freak athlete who might be a great QB, but has the potential to own one of several positions, LOVES Auburn, and is going to give 100%, all of the time.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Am I the only one who isn't worried about Joey at QB, because it really looks like the window for him to play QB at Auburn may be shrinking by the day?  We have 2 solid QBs now, neither of which will likely leave this year unless they have one of the best seasons in history. We have a third who the coaches can't stop talking about. And... in 2019, there's a solid chance we will be bringing in one of the most game ready QBs we've ever recruited out of high school. What that says to me is that this is the perfect time to give a scholarship to a freak athlete who might be a great QB, but has the potential to own one of several positions, LOVES Auburn, and is going to give 100%, all of the time.

Well said @lionheartkc!

I totally agree. 

Everyone keeps talking about someone transferring, but I thought if you transfer schools you have to sit out a year.  That is unless your whole family up and moves into another school district.  Is that not the case everywhere?

7 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Everyone keeps talking about someone transferring, but I thought if you transfer schools you have to sit out a year.  That is unless your whole family up and moves into another school district.  Is that not the case everywhere?

That's how it is in Columbus unless they transfer into a private school 

6 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

No. Basically just have to have a relative or guardian live in the area of the high school and you don't have to sit a year. To be honest I have never heard of a high school transfer ever sitting a year in the first place.

I think transfer talk here is a moot point though. Joey is planning to Graduate early to be here in January so I don't see him risking that timeline by transferring. Riley has a scholl from many Ivy League schools so he may have the same opportunity.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

No. Basically just have to have a relative or guardian live in the area of the high school and you don't have to sit a year. To be honest I have never heard of a high school transfer ever sitting a year in the first place.

I think transfer talk here is a moot point though. Joey is planning to Graduate early to be here in January so I don't see him risking that timeline by transferring. Riley has a scholl from many Ivy League schools so he may have the same opportunity.

Well I know that is how it is here in all sports.  My kids go to Priceville High and we have kids transfer from Decatur, Austin & Hartselle all the time and they always have to sit a year before being allowed to play.  I have also looked into for my kids to transfer and even to a private school we would have to move into the area of the school.

I get that either of them transferring is very likely not in the plans.  I was just wanting clarification on transfers.  Like I said, I know how it is around here and just didn't know if that was a local thing or what.

10 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I get that either of them transferring is very likely not in the plans.  I was just wanting clarification on transfers.  Like I said, I know how it is around here and just didn't know if that was a local thing or what.

For as many years as I have followed high school football 95% of the time it has boiled down to if the kid has the talent a few coaches will find a way to get it done & the kid playing.

• Like 2

Just now, ellitor said:

For as many years as I have followed high school football 95% of the time it has boiled down to if the kid has the talent a few coaches will find a way to get it done & the kid playing.

Now that I have no problem believing!

Four years in Charlotte, the suburban high schools scooped up the best black athletes from the downtown schools and allowed them to transfer across school boundary lines with no restrictions 

A couple coaches built state championship programs that way until the school board finally took some action. 

As noted, where there is a will , there is usually a way to beat the system. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I transferred between private and public schools in Bham and had to sit. I think in AL if you leave the zone you don't have to sit. I didn't move, only changed schools and had to sit.

3 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

I transferred between private and public schools in Bham and had to sit. I think in AL if you leave the zone you don't have to sit. I didn't move, only changed schools and had to sit.

That's why it is important to identify stellar athletes while they are young...get them to transfer and take a "red shirt" season sitting out to grow and mature....I recall reading many years ago where is was done routinely in Texas and when you see 19 year old HS seniors, it does make one wonder.

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's why it is important to identify stellar athletes while they are young...get them to transfer and take a "red shirt" season sitting out to grow and mature....I recall reading many years ago where is was done routinely in Texas and when you see 19 year old HS seniors, it does make one wonder.

Every team needs a Buddy Garrity.

Image result for buddy garrity

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Every team needs a Buddy Garrity.

Image result for buddy garrity

FNL - Only one of the best shows....ever! I miss that guy.

So he's splitting snaps with a kid who doesn't have any P5 offers yet he has really good measurables. Not a good sign IMO. Doesn't mean Joey is a loser or anything but that is kind of odd.

Edited by Tiger

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

So he's splitting snaps with a kid who doesn't have any P5 offers yet he has really good measurables. Not a good sign IMO. Doesn't mean Joey is a loser or anything but that is kind of odd.

Joey is also the best QB & RB on the team & is playing those positions when he is not at QB. Also Riley Smith has 25 college football offers. It's not like he's a run of the mill high school QB.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Joey is also the best QB & RB on the team & is playing those positions when he is not at QB. Also Riley Smith has 25 college football offers. It's not like he's a run of the mill high school QB.

True. IDK I'm just naturally walking on egg-shells when it comes to our QBs. :dunno:

I'm not too worried about Joey. It would be nice to see him getting the full QB 1 reps but it's not like he's splitting time with a slouch. No P5 offers is one thing but the kid seems to have quite a few, including the Ivy Leagues and has been watched (or visited?) by some p5 coaches IIRC. 

I agree with much of what @lionheartkc said in his post a few above mine. If he blossoms into the QB he has the potential to be, we've got one hell of a QB. If not, there are a few other positions we could see him playing. Joey seems to love AU and to be committed to the school, considering he's hung on through all of the turmoil we've suffered (I mean, he even committed in 2015). 

I hope we continue to show him love and keep him as a solid commit throughout the process, as long as he's fine with us possibly bringing in some competition for him in his signing class I see no problems. I don't see any reason we shouldn't give him as much of a shot as anyone else at QB in the beginning either, as long as that's where he wants to play.

I guess I'm a little confused about the hand-wringing on Joey's "window" to play QB at Auburn. He was never going to start as a true freshman. That was never going to happen. So whether Stidham and/or White return next year or not, I have zero expectation of a true freshman taking live bullets for us under Center (or... behind Center since we never line up under Center... you know what I meant!).

His window starts in 2019, and probably doesn't really start until 2020. I mean, but for a few instances where our hand was forced by injury (Sean White) or inheriting a roster without options (Jason Campbell), Auburn rarely ever starts even a redshirt freshman at that position. Most teams don't. I know. There are Tebows and Manziels out there, but most teams don't start true or redshirt freshmen. That means 2020 is really the first time you'd generally think he's an option to take the reins. There is time to develop him, and I've seen nothing in our recruiting that makes me think his window has been affected. He was always going to have to compete with talented players for the job. Hopefully, he's competing against Willis and Nix and one other guy we sign this year. That'll be a good group with a diverse set of skills. No one has any idea who the best QB in that (undefined) group will be two full seasons from now.

As far as progression goes, I'd expect it to look something like this:

2017 - Stidham/White/Willis

2018 - Stidham or White/Willis/Gatewood or other signee

2019 - Willis or Gatewood or other signee/Nix

2020 - Same except it'll be open season for all four.

26 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

As far as progression goes, I'd expect it to look something like this:

2017 - Stidham/White/Willis

2018 - Stidham or White/Willis/Gatewood or other signee

2019 - Willis or Gatewood or other signee/Nix

2020 - Same except it'll be open season for all four.

Change the or to and on Gatewood's class and you have the staff's plan, at least initially.

If every other big name school in the country is offering him a QB spot than I don't think we have much to worry about fellas.

Edited by ClaytonAU
  • Like 3

If it was me and I was JG I wouldn't risk coming here but that's just me. I want him to come here though

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If it was me and I was JG I wouldn't risk coming here but that's just me. I want him to come here though

What's the risk?

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

What's the risk?

The high school kid this year has apparently exceeded expectations and is better than originally thought. The guy who may be behind him is a legacy and it screams that if JG makes a couple mistakes at the worse time it could be a JJ/SW situation all over again