2018 Recruiting thread (Updated 1/29/18)

ellitor

7 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Looks like our OL and CB recruiting will be lacking in this class. 

OL yes. CB remains to be seen. Tutt is good and McCreary is underrated & as athletic as most CBs in the country.

8 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

After that, everything takes care of itself.

Not quite. Still have to get the best quality anytime you can. Skill players aren't created equally.

• Like 1

Just now, ellitor said:

OL yes. CB remains to be seen. Tutt is good and McCreary is underrated & as athletic as most CBs in the country.

Not quite. Still have to get the best quality anytime you can. Skill players aren't created equally.

Yes you should always try to recruit the best players available, but it all starts at at the line of scrimmage on both side of the ball.  This past season at AU is a great example, when both the DL and especially the OL played well, then good things happened.  When one (mostly the the OL) played poorly then AU was unsuccessful and when when both the OL and DL played poorly like in the SECCG and Peach Bowl, AU had no chance.   Play calling had a lot to do with poor performances on the O side of the ball in every one of our losses as well.

wde

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Dang. Guess he cancelled his clemson visit or just pushed it back to next week. Rocky Top is going to have a monster recruiting weekend on tap. I really wish we would push and offer. We need CB's bad.

We already have two solid CB prospects. I don't see AU using one of the last 2 or 3 slots on another CB unless we absolutely strike out with every big name target we still have in play.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

We already have two solid CB prospects. I don't see AU using one of the last 2 or 3 slots on another CB unless we absolutely strike out with every big name target we still have in play.

We have 1 good cb committed and the other is a project.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

A very good project, buy all accounts. Sometimes star gazing isn't the best way to  evaluate a recruit. In any case, if there are 2 or 3 slots left, do you seriously want to use one of them sign some random CB that just started picking up quality offers? If we're reduced to shot gunning, lets shoot at an OL  or TE guy.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

A very good project, buy all accounts. Sometimes star gazing isn't the best way to  evaluate a recruit. In any case, if there are 2 or 3 slots left, do you seriously want to use one of them sign some random CB that just started picking up quality offers? If we're reduced to shot gunning, lets shoot at an OL  or TE guy.

lol well I am not a coach or a scout so that is all I can do in this case! I will say the DB project I was high on was Cam Taylor. He is a un real athlete and I wanted him bad but we obviously chose someone else over him :[. IT HURTS MIKEY!!! It hurts bad! haha.

Edited by GwillMac6

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

If you take into account Tutt's struggles at Army All American Week then both are projects.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If you take into account Tutt's struggles at Army All American Week then both are projects.

I do not because all I see is FOUR STARS BABY!!! you know my mantra! lol

• Haha 1

Any chance with the DUI to Jibunor that Gus would greyshirt him until he got that straightened out? 

it would give us room for 1 more????

21 minutes ago, Roos said:

Any chance with the DUI to Jibunor that Gus would greyshirt him until he got that straightened out? 

No. RJ is signing next Wednesday 

1 hour ago, Roos said:

Lets hope not. Jibunor is a legitimate need and a solid prospect. DUI's don't take months to "straighten out". Normally this would be water way under the bridge by now and I've seen nothing about this case that wasn't entirely normal. I strongly suspect that drama has been over with for some time now..

• Like 3

Give me two of these:

4* Richard Gouraige
4* Dylan Wonnum
4* Christian Meadows
Grad Transfer Calvin Anderson

and Quay Walker then call it a recruiting year!

• Angry 1

On 1/27/2018 at 5:47 PM, Mikey said:

We really need to get at least 1 more quality OL and 2 would be even better. The big tackle from Rice is one I hope we land.  I really wish we would go after Tank Jenkins, but sources say this is not going to happen of which I totally trust 110%. I really like McCreary and think he is going to work out fine for us.

13 hours ago, Zeek said:

Give me two of these:

4* Richard Gouraige
4* Dylan Wonnum
4* Christian Meadows
Grad Transfer Calvin Anderson

and Quay Walker then call it a recruiting year!

I thought Wonnum was thought to be heavily leaning towards USCe. As for Gouraige, I thought he was a heavily leaning Auburn's way until Hand left. Anybody have any kind of update on these two?

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

I thought Wonnum was thought to be heavily leaning towards USCe.

He is.

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

I thought he was a heavily leaning Auburn's way until Hand left.

He was but may OV this weekend so we aren't out of it yet.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

E - is there anymore information on Willie Allen? Is he a possible back-up plan?

No & don't think so. Grimes hasn't talked to him since becoming the new OL coach.

6-5 Alabama tight end Bobo visited by Auburn, down to three

Coming into Wednesday, Carson Bobo was closing in on a decision between Princeton and Richmond for his football future.

Following a visit from the Auburn coaching staff, it is no longer the case.

The 6-foot-5, 220-pound tight end talent out of Birmingham (Ala.) Oak Mountain said Tiger assistant Rodney Garner stopped by the school and extended an preferred walk-on offer his way.

"It makes the decision harder," he said. "I love Richmond and Princeton both, then Auburn gets thrown into the mix."

The class of 2018 prospect says he grew up an Alabama fan, something tied to the game of football, but otherwise he has long considered attending Auburn for academic purposes. Engineering is likely his major of choice and is a big part of the decision-making process.

"If I didn't play football in college, I was planning to go to Auburn." he said. "My strengths are math and science. Auburn also has a great engineering program, that's another reason why these schools are so appealing."

Bobo, who caught 42 passes for 612 yards and nine touchdowns as a senior, doesn't have a visit planned for the weekend or a commitment date in mind.

Edited by ellitor
Changed from mobile article to full article
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was his Princeton offer a full ride scholarship? That would be hard to turn down in exchange for a preferred walkon to anywhere. Ive League educations are worth a LOT!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Was his Princeton offer a full ride scholarship? That would be hard to turn down in exchange for a preferred walkon to anywhere. Ive League educations are worth a LOT!

They don’t give athletic scholarships but would be looking for ways to give him “need based” financial aid if he was bringing athletic ability. More likely that was just the pathway into the Ivy League where most of the schools accept <10% of the applicants each year(Princeton probably 7-8%). And, yeah, that’s going to cost ~$65000/year?

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, WFE12 said:

So he caught 7x as many passes as Sal dropped last year. I say sign him up; can't be any worse.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

The early signing period really did a number on the drama of these last few weeks.  Trying to get excited about 3 or 4 spots left...but the activity level around here seems a bit subdued.

43 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The early signing period really did a number on the drama of these last few weeks.  Trying to get excited about 3 or 4 spots left...but the activity level around here seems a bit subdued.

I'm sure the machine will have recalibrated by next December and ENSD ($1 to @ellitor) will be crazy. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm sure the machine will have recalibrated by next December and ENSD ($1 to @ellitor) will be crazy. 

I hope not, there was getting to be way to much hype around recruiting. I enjoy following recruiting but I can live without all the dog and pony shows on NSD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

I hope not, there was getting to be way to much hype around recruiting. I enjoy following recruiting but I can live without all the dog and pony shows on NSD.

It's definitely not what it used to be. I swear I remember almost every recruit was a ? going into the NSD