2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

So I just saw a SI article on my phone that said "JUCO Offensive Lineman Isaiah Jatta Commits to Auburn University".    He never did commit did he? I know he decommed from SCAR, but as far as I know he hasn't committed anywhere else. I screen grabbed it. Just found it odd...and that it was SI as well. If Im being honest I have read anything of their's in 10 years or more so I don't know the quality of their writing/reporting anymore. 

12 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So I just saw a SI article on my phone that said "JUCO Offensive Lineman Isaiah Jatta Commits to Auburn University".    He never did commit did he? I know he decommed from SCAR, but as far as I know he hasn't committed anywhere else. I screen grabbed it. Just found it odd...and that it was SI as well. If Im being honest I have read anything of their's in 10 years or more so I don't know the quality of their writing/reporting anymore. 

No he did not. Honestly I think we were expecting his commitment but Deion Sanders called and got him to visit this weekend. So we will see. 

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

No he did not. Honestly I think we were expecting his commitment but Deion Sanders called and got him to visit this weekend. So we will see. 

Yea that's where I was on everything. I wonder if maybe the SI writer put the story together for when he did commit under the presumption he was going to...and then it accidentally leaked. 

54 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

He gone

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

I don’t come on here every hour. But when I do I see posts like your statement? Why? 

Harsin is footballs version of barbee I think it deserves to be rehashed how much of a colossal failure he was. Probaly the worst recruiting head coach I’ve seen at a good job in college football.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Yea that's where I was on everything. I wonder if maybe the SI writer put the story together for when he did commit under the presumption he was going to...and then it accidentally leaked. 

Those SI pages aren’t really the national sports illustrated brand. It’s just a glorified blog with no actual sourcing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What's the difference in an official and unofficial visit? Anyone know?

Recruit pays their way on an UOV, but both of them have OV’d to Auburn and they also live close.

Honestly the fact that they aren’t having Auburn pay their way and are doing it on their own dime (which is just gas money basically) says something to me.  They could OV again because Freeze was just hired.  

They have been to Auburn….A LOT.  They know what they need to know, I imagine this is to get to talk to the new staff etc a bit more and I am sure they are going to roll the red carpet out for them.  I also would suspect there will be some final NIL discussions with them.  

This is going to be a HUGE recruiting weekend with the Ole Miss OT, Rara Thornton, McCall,  Russaw and Smith all on campus.  

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, AEAugirl said:

Recruit pays their way on an UOV, but both of them have OV’d to Auburn and they also live close.

Honestly the fact that they aren’t having Auburn pay their way and are doing it on their own dime (which is just gas money basically) says something to me.  They could OV again because Freeze was just hired.  

They have been to Auburn….A LOT.  They know what they need to know, I imagine this is to get to talk to the new staff etc a bit more and I am sure they are going to roll the red carpet out for them.  I also would suspect there will be some final NIL discussions with them.  

This is going to be a HUGE recruiting weekend with the Ole Miss OT, Rara Thornton, McCall,  Russaw and Smith all on campus.  

Isn’t there limits of what they can do for them on an UOV?

14 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I’ll defer to @Zeekor @ellitorfor specifics, but I think the main component is what Auburn pays for versus what the recruit pays for.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Without looking up every little detail, basically AU can't spend as much money on a prospect's unofficial as can be spent on an official. Meals? Lodging? Per Diem? Stuff like that.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Schools can do very little for recruits on UOVs. That's why recruits' families pay for everything done for them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

We'll see what this coaching staff is made of this weekend.  I've already been impressed but if we can pull in some of these big-fish I will be ecstatic!

2 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

regarding the Montgomery duo, I suspect this is more about the 'final offer'  from the NIL angle.  

I would not hold my breath on these two.   Saban is like 95% effective at landing the 5* kids he wants from in state.   HOWEVER, maybe we can break that trend.  Our DC is a guy with a rep for attacking and creative defensive schemes and the DL coach did wonders with much less talent at Liberty.    With NIL and PLAYING TIME, maybe we have small chance.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Harsin is footballs version of barbee I think it deserves to be rehashed how much of a colossal failure he was. Probaly the worst recruiting head coach I’ve seen at a good job in college football.

Terry Bowden. Worst recruiter at a good job in college football (all eggs in one wishful basket) but as long as he had Pat Dye's players he did a very good job on game day.

• Facepalm 1

36 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Terry Bowden. Worst recruiter at a good job in college football (all eggs in one wishful basket) but as long as he had Pat Dye's players he did a very good job on game day.

Bowden's 1997 team finished 10-3 and lost the SEC game by one point. Dye's players were long gone by then.

Willie Anderson, Takeo Spikes, on and on were Bowden's recruits. It's also worthy of note that the players Bowden won 20 straight games with were players who were 10-11-1 in their final two years under Dye.

Bowden's time at AU may have run out, but 47-17-1 is not a record to be sneezed at.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 9

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Bowden's 1997 team finished 10-3 and lost the SEC game by one point. Dye's players were long gone by then.

Willie Anderson, Takeo Spikes, on and on were Bowden's recruits. It's also worthy of note that the players Bowden won 20 straight games with were players who were 10-11-1 in their final two years under Dye.

Bowden's time at AU may have run out, but 47-17-1 is not a record to be sneezed at.

Terry Bowden = Gus Malzahn.  

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Bowden was always an enigma to me.   I loved his respect for Auburn and 'Auburn's place' in college football.   I think, and I may be wrong, he just wanted to follow his daddy's blueprint and apply that scheme to his time at Auburn.   I know he is infamously known for his comment about Stephen Davis. 

47-17...speaks volumes

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

It really is.  In terms of the immediate future, it is critical.  Any help would be good but, we really need a "walk off, grand slam" kind of weekend.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Not by his record. Think it is better, albeit not as long.

Big first 2 years and 8-5 the other years.  

• Zeek unpinned this topic
  • ellitor pinned and unpinned this topic