2014 4* QB Sean White commits to AU!

ellitor

Who cares. Odds are Sean White will never play. 2014 = Marshall. 2015 = Johnson. 2016 = Johnson. If the kid is "that great" he is not going to sit for 3 years and play as a RS Jr. Odds are someone else will be recruited next year or the year after and that kid will take over in 2017.

That is unless y'all think this kid is better than Jeremy Johnson.

Jeremy Johnson will not play as a Junior either. Does that mean that he's going to transfer? No. Jeremy and Sean will more than likely start their a Junior & Senior seasons unless one leaves early for the draft.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who cares. Odds are Sean White will never play. 2014 = Marshall. 2015 = Johnson. 2016 = Johnson. If the kid is "that great" he is not going to sit for 3 years and play as a RS Jr. Odds are someone else will be recruited next year or the year after and that kid will take over in 2017.

You didn't really explain why you think White can't beat out the people that will be recruited behind him. I would love to have a redshirt junior starting. Means that player would have a lot of experience running our offense.

Normally, when one scratches the superficial orange & blue off a poster such as this, one will find crimson.

If Johnson develops well he may not even be here for his senior year in 2016.

Jeremy Johnson will not play as a Junior either. Does that mean that he's going to transfer? No. Jeremy and Sean will more than likely start their a Junior & Senior seasons unless one leaves early for the draft.

Why would JJ not start his junior year?

Yes, I think White will be better than Johnson. I believe White will be a star in the NFL one day. He is that good and that much of a leader.

Why would JJ not start his junior year?

Sorry, I meant to say that he won't play UNTIL his Junior year. That doesn't mean that he's not extremely talented. But like Sean, he just has to wait his turn.

unless "our coaches" think this kid is better......

This is all too hypothetical that far in the future. So many things can happen. Injuries, academics, homesickness, changes with assistant coaches, team not winning need to make a change. Heck might have a 6* by 2017, then all bets are off. :Sing: CGM has a plan I'm sure, but that may all change after spring.

This is all too hypothetical that far in the future. So many things can happen. Injuries, academics, homesickness, changes with assistant coaches, team not winning need to make a change. Heck might have a 6* by 2017, then all bets are off. :Sing: CGM has a plan I'm sure, but that may all change after spring.

Yup. This is not the thread for a JJ SW competition debate. We will have plenty of time and talk on that the next few years.

Enjoy the present....let the future play out. Gus has it under control. Me, - Im gonna drink a cool one and let Gus handle it. He has earned my trust.

BTW I like both JJ & SW-- I think Auburn can win with both because Gus is in control of the situation

Notable AU quarterbacks that didn't start until their fourth (RS junior) year at Auburn. Reggie Slack, Jeff Burger, D. Craig.... there are more but dinner calls. Very few choose to transfer if they feel they are getting an honest opportunity.

Enjoy the present....let the future play out. Gus has it under control. Me, - Im gonna drink a cool one and let Gus handle it. He has earned my trust.

BTW I like both JJ & SW-- I think Auburn can win with both because Gus is in control of the situation

I may drink two.

I wonder what number Sean will get. I hope it's somewhere between 2 and 9. Don't know why, but I've always liked QB's with smaller numbers. Look at Cam with #2 and Jeremy Johnson wearing #6.

I wonder what number Sean will get. I hope it's somewhere between 2 and 9. Don't know why, but I've always liked QB's with smaller numbers. Look at Cam with #2 and Jeremy Johnson wearing #6.

Sean wore #12 in High School. With J-Wall wearing 12 at Auburn it's likely Sean will wear 13 like he did in the All Star game.

Im sorry to be an a hole, but worrying about a kids jersey number is nothing but tacky, Let him be whatever # he chooses. Dadgum boy! get a life and spend your time on something of consequence!

I see that this thread has devolved into a JJ versus SW debate. I will say this about SW. I went to the UA all star game a couple of weeks back and was tremendously impressed with SW. He is the real deal. He has a cannon for an arm and is deadly accurate. He is not a running QB but has really good pocket mobility and can run if the field opens up. He has great leadership abilities and took charge of the offense when he was on the field, which says a lot being an all star game, you could definitely see a difference in the overall performance of the other 10 guys when he was on the field.

After watching all of the QBs perform at the UA all star game there was no doubt in my mind that SW was the best of all of them.

SW carries a chip on his shoulder and has the perfect blend of confidence and I will prove people wrong attitude. He came out of nowhere to win the elite 11 and due to another QB being hurt got invited to the UA game and all he did was win the MVP there as well. When this kid competes he excels.

Now I do not know what will come from the QB competition that will begin in the spring of 2015 but to pencil JJ in as the starter is a mistake. SW will push JJ to the limit and whichever QB wins the starting job will do amazing things.

I think it will be possible for both JJ and Sean to get PT in 2015. I think SW will be a 100% redshirt next year, not because he is not ready to play, but to save his eligibility. We know JJ can play and throw. He proved this year he is a good passer. He does not have the running skills that Marshall has, not many do. JJ is a big tough kid too. Both JJ and SW will need to work on their option skills. I think both are capable of running and I think for our offense to be a force, the QB needs to be a running option.

Let me try to steer this again away from the JJ SW competition discussion.

The new Rivals 250 is out and Sean moved up 76 spots from 187 to 111 overall and from the #8 Pro Style QB to #4 Pro Style QB. Congrats Sean! Well Deserved!

Let me try to steer this again away from the JJ SW competition discussion.

The new Rivals 250 is out and Sean moved up 76 spots from 187 to 111 overall and from the #8 Pro Style QB to #4 Pro Style QB. Congrats Sean! Well Deserved!

Attaboy, Sean! And good job, coaches. There's something very gratifying about the rankings chasing our recruits instead of our coaches chasing the rankings.

Great White article Link

Sean White will fit in where necessary.

That's the incoming freshman quarterback's expectations as he closes in on signing day with Auburn. The four-star prospect has long been committed to the Tigers and he's not expecting a sudden jump up the depth chart when he lines up for his first practice in August, but he very well could be the future of Auburn's offense.

"Basically they say coach (Gus) Malzahn's offense is developed and molded around the quarterback -- t he quarterback's strengths -- and whoever is the best in camp or whatever is going to play," White said after his official visit to Auburn on Jan. 19. "Whoever is named the starting quarterback, the offense is going to mold around him, so I'm excited because he really knows how to bring the best out of every quarterback."

White, a pro-style quarterback, doesn't quite match the skill set of starter Nick Marshall and backup Jeremy Johnson. Marshall and Johnson are mobile and they fit the typical mold of Malzahn's most popular quarterbacks in previous seasons.

Still, it's those two quarterbacks White will learn under in his first season or two on campus.

"[Marshall] can teach me a lot just through experience," White said. "In one year he took the team from 3-9 to the national championship and he was a big part in that, so I'm going to learn from him and he's going to make me better."

White threw for 2,656 yards and 30 touchdowns with five interceptions as a senior at University School in Hollywood, Florida, and was named the MVP of the Under Armour All-America Game after completing 10 of 12 passes for 156 yards and two touchdowns.

For those looking for a comparison to previous Malzahn quarterbacks, one might have to look way back to the second-year Auburn coach's days at Tulsa, where the Golden Hurricane led the country in total offense by attacking teams through the air. Paul Smith broke an NCAA record with 14 consecutive games with at least 300 yards passing.

"I'm just going to come in and work my hardest every day and try to help the team the best way I can and in the fastest way possible," White said.

And White's expectations for 2014 after the Tigers' surprising 12-2 record in 2013?

"I just think it's a team that knows how to win and just fights hard through the fourth quarter," White said. "They got better as the season went on and it's just going to continue into the next year.

Archived