All Things AU Linebacker thread

ellitor

Nope. I've been informed by those who know such things that Star is NOT a linebacker position. ("Why, Star even has different coaches") Of Course Therezie, and possibly Garrett in the future, might win such an award but they are not linebackers! If you don't believe me, just ask those who know.

None of us who feel Star is not a LB are not in the know or act like it either. It's our opinion Star is not an LB because they are coached by the safeties coach. You feel Star is a LB and you are well entitled to that opinion and to be honest you can make a legitimate arguement classifying Star as a LB or DB.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not seen all of the game from Saturday but from what I have read and seen Frost needs to show up ASAP! If it was my decision he would have until the first half of the K-State game to prove he should be a starter.

Just like Holland, Frost is in there for a reason. Probably because he is better than the next guy. You guys should really chill out. A lot of bickering recently.

+1

And probably for no reason. WDE

If RT reminds me of anyone, it would not be linebacker. Specifically, he reminds me a bit of tyrann Mathieu for the number of impact plays he makes from the secondary. Both played in different systems, but both has a knack for getting to the football.

Nope. I've been informed by those who know such things that Star is NOT a linebacker position. ("Why, Star even has different coaches") Of Course Therezie, and possibly Garrett in the future, might win such an award but they are not linebackers! If you don't believe me, just ask those who know.

None of us who feel Star is not a LB are not in the know or act like it either. It's our opinion Star is not an LB because they are coached by the safeties coach. You feel Star is a LB and you are well entitled to that opinion and to be honest you can make a legitimate arguement classifying Star as a LB or DB.

I'm going to have consistency. After being somewhat "shouted down" by the masses, I've changed and tailored my posts, numbers and remarks around the idea that Star is not a linebacker. That's fine, but it's staying that way. People can't call Star a LB when it suits their purpose and then say Star is not a LB when that suits their purpose. For some time now and into the future my posts will reflect that the Star position is not a LB.

After all, if the Star position were a LB we'd already have five (5) LB commits in this recruiting class and everybody says that would be just way overboard. Speaking of LB recruiting, how many of our five committed guys that have linebacker in their bio are not linebackers? :devil:

I'm going to have consistency. After being somewhat "shouted down" by the masses, I've changed and tailored my posts, numbers and remarks around the idea that Star is not a linebacker. That's fine, but it's staying that way. People can't call Star a LB when it suits their purpose and then say Star is not a LB when that suits their purpose. For some time now and into the future my posts will reflect that the Star position is not a LB.

After all, if the Star position were a LB we'd already have five (5) LB commits in this recruiting class and everybody says that would be just way overboard. Speaking of LB recruiting, how many of our five committed guys that have linebacker in their bio are not linebackers? :devil:

HaHa! Good points. They are all LBs by trade. I think Colbert may do both because 2 sites have him as a safety and 2 have him as an OLB, which I did not know til now.

Just like Holland, Frost is in there for a reason. Probably because he is better than the next guy. You guys should really chill out. A lot of bickering recently.

Williams will take Frost's spot in a hurry if he plays like he did last Saturday. I'm told Williams and Frost will split equal reps this Saturday. Worst game Frost has played at AU. And he's had several bad games so this is very alarming. "He didn't do anything right" is the quote I'm told.

Williams is going to be a STUD. Three year player at AU. Could be the best LBer AU has had since Spikes.

Williams will take Frost's spot in a hurry if he plays like he did last Saturday. I'm told Williams and Frost will split equal reps this Saturday. Worst game Frost has played at AU. And he's had several bad games so this is very alarming. "He didn't do anything right" is the quote I'm told.

Williams is going to be a STUD. Three year player at AU. Could be the best LBer AU has had since Spikes.

There you go.

Okay, first off, a lot of Whitehead biting on the play action was likely predicated upon the fact that Arkansas is a power run team that had not proven any ability to throw the ball, not to mention the way they were gashing us for yardage in the first half.

However, after watching the replay (was in JHS, so didn't see it on TV live), Kris is definitely going to have to step up, or he's going to be benched. He has all the tools necessary, but he might simply lack the drive to meet his potential. I expect to see a lot more of Williams and Swain this week anyway because we're playing San Jose, but if Frost doesn't get his act together, he's going to lose his spot.

Let us hope that it was all first game jitters, and he'll be playing up to par by the time we hit Manhattan.

He looks absolutely lost and timid out there. I really hate to compare the two but watching him reminds me of Holland. I'm not just saying that because he isn't getting the job done, they really do look similar to me.

Frost looks like what he is a WR playing LB.He does not have the LB mentality.

You know, I've thought of this before actually but I'm not convinced he has the speed to be a WR -- maybe its because he thinks too much as a LB and that obviously would make him play slower.

It is pretty obvious the coaches played mostly vets this game, since it was an SEC game. I would expect the younger guys to get a long hard look this week, and that could result in a shake up in the LB rotation. 0 tackles is just unacceptable. There is no excuse, when a team is running between the tackles most of the game. Just hit somebody!

Yep, his knowledge of the play book, not for ability just like the fore mentioned. If Williams grasps the play book, frost will be sitting.

Before I say anything let me begin by saying I was the biggest Jake Holland hater around last year. I think to say Frost is another Jake Holland is really a knock on Jake. While Frost is definitely a better athlete than JH, JH always went 100% and was in the right place (when his athletic ability allowed him to get there). Frost whiffed on so many tackles Saturday and lacked hustle unlike ever before. We are now seeing IMO why a far superior athlete never took JH's job in the past.

Before I say anything let me begin by saying I was the biggest Jake Holland hater around last year. I think to say Frost is another Jake Holland is really a knock on Jake. While Frost is definitely a better athlete than JH, JH always went 100% and was in the right place (when his athletic ability allowed him to get there). Frost whiffed on so many tackles Saturday and lacked hustle unlike ever before. We are now seeing IMO why a far superior athlete never took JH's job in the past.

I disagree with that slightly. Frost is an athletic specimen. Right now he is thinking way to much. Thinking is the worst thing you can do on defense. You have to react and react quickly. Thinking gives the offense just enough time for you to get out of place. Its not that he lacks the hustle it that he is thinking about what his next step is versus executing the next step. It's all between the ears for him.

I disagree with that slightly. Frost is an athletic specimen. Right now he is thinking way to much. Thinking is the worst thing you can do on defense. You have to react and react quickly. Thinking gives the offense just enough time for you to get out of place. Its not that he lacks the hustle it that he is thinking about what his next step is versus executing the next step. It's all between the ears for him.

This^^. The light came on against AtM last yr. there's no way holland runs down jfootball like frost did

Well, if you really want to get technical about it, both the Star and Boundary safety positions can be viewed as more of hybrid positions, because the 4-2-5 is run a lot like the 4-4 stack with an added emphasis on athleticism, meaning the outside linebackers were replaced with the hybrid position. It is highly unlikely that the three you mentioned as being recruited to the Star are all going to end up there, but not unlikely for them to play either Star or Boundary...which gives 5 recruits for 4 positions, and at least partially explains why the coaches are still pursuing linebackers.

Another reason for their pursuit of linebackers probably has something to do with the fact that of the 8 linebackers currently on the roster, half are juniors. Thus, we have a need for bodies to fill out the depth charts. I disagree that we have a need to add another commitment or two at LB, but I do agree that it would be preferable. I also thought signing two last year was pretty much the bare minimum, but it's not surprising that it took having a breakout year last season to garner attention from many top defensive prospects.

Now, I will readily admit that no LB has stepped up and met all of his potential as of yet...again, my problem with the way you've presented your side of this, Mikey, is the disregard for any chance of the players on the roster (prior to Williams and Davis signing, that is) having the potential to be any good. Although I'm sure in our sparring, I went a little farther in the other direction with my own implications than I truly believe, but it's difficult for me to fathom an Auburn fan of your stature (and just so no one is confused, that IS a compliment, because whether he and I agree or not, Mikey has earned my respect) to be as pessimistic about the potential for a breakout performance.

On a tangential note, it just occurred to me that Kris might well benefit from Williams taking his position away from him. He has had the pressure of being a blue chip prospect who was supposed to learn a new position since day one, and the comparisons to Karlos Dansby, a 10 year veteran in the NFL now after coming to Auburn with similar measurables and also playing receiver in HS, can't have helped him any. Having Tre take the starting spot, particularly if he shines in it, takes the pressure off of him to a degree, meaning that he might start playing more loose and let his instincts take over.

The other thing, while certainly a stretch (and purely speculation on my part), is that Kris hasn't had linebackers of his athletic caliber on the Plains to learn from. Maybe he learned from Jake Holland, who was a solid linebacker in spite of not having anything close to the athletic talent of Frost, and picked up some of the adjustments Jake made to compensate for the lack of raw talent, adjustments that actually hinder an athletic player more than they help. Having Tre, a linebacker by trade who has spectacular athleticism, to watch and emulate could, potentially, make a world of difference in his game.

Yes, I am eternally optimistic about the potential of Auburn players...but then, that's what makes me a fan. I'm realistic enough to know that Kris has done nothing more than show flashes of his talent (mediocre is the perfect description of him to this point, actually) and that Cass has yet to play up to an All-SEC standard, but I've seen enough out of both that I believe they have more left inside of them. Mikey has never given me the indication that he believes in potential, but rather he has indicated the mentality that a player cannot be good enough if they've been on the field at all without being good enough.

Well, if you really want to get technical about it, both the Star and Boundary safety positions can be viewed as more of hybrid positions, because the 4-2-5 is run a lot like the 4-4 stack with an added emphasis on athleticism, meaning the outside linebackers were replaced with the hybrid position. It is highly unlikely that the three you mentioned as being recruited to the Star are going to end up there, but not unlikely for them to play either Star or Boundary...which gives 5 recruits for 4 positions, and at least partially explains why the coaches are still pursuing linebackers.

Another reason for their pursuit of linebackers probably has something to do with the fact that of the 8 linebackers currently on the roster, half are juniors. Thus, we have a need for bodies to fill out the depth charts. I disagree that we have a need to add another commitment or two at LB, but I do agree that it would be preferable. I also thought signing two last year was pretty much the bare minimum, but it's not surprising that it took having a breakout year last season to garner attention from many top defensive prospects.

Now, I will readily admit that no LB has stepped up and met all of his potential as of yet...again, my problem with the way you've presented your side of this, Mikey, is the disregard for any chance of the players on the roster (prior to Williams and Davis signing, that is) having the potential to be any good. Although I'm sure in our sparring, I went a little farther in the other direction with my own implications than I truly believe, but it's difficult for me to fathom an Auburn fan of your stature (and just so no one is confused, that IS a compliment, because whether he and I agree or not, Mikey has earned my respect) to be as pessimistic about the potential for a breakout performance.

On a tangential note, it just occurred to me that Kris might well benefit from Williams taking his position away from him. He has had the pressure of being a blue chip prospect who was supposed to learn a new position since day one, and the comparisons to Karlos Dansby, a 10 year veteran in the NFL now after coming to Auburn with similar measurables and also playing receiver in HS, can't have helped him any. Having Tre take the starting spot, particularly if he shines in it, takes the pressure off of him to a degree, meaning that he might start playing more loose and let his instincts take over.

The other thing, while certainly a stretch (and purely speculation on my part), is that Kris hasn't had linebackers of his athletic caliber on the Plains to learn from. Maybe he learned from Jake Holland, who was a solid linebacker in spite of not having anything close to the athletic talent of Frost, and picked up some of the adjustments Jake made to compensate for the lack of raw talent, adjustments that actually hinder an athletic player more than they help. Having Tre, a linebacker by trade who has spectacular athleticism, to watch and emulate could, potentially, make a world of difference in his game.

Yes, I am eternally optimistic about the potential of Auburn players...but then, that's what makes me a fan. I'm realistic enough to know that Kris has done nothing more than show flashes of his talent (mediocre is the perfect description of him to this point, actually) and that Cass has yet to play up to an All-SEC standard, but I've seen enough out of both that I believe they have more left inside of them. Mikey has never given me the indication that he believes in potential, but rather he has indicated the mentality that a player cannot be good enough if they've been on the field at all without being good enough.

Very well said

I feel like people give Frost a pass because of one play. He has to get better. A couple of plays this past game he could have made if he had the awareness to reach out and try to tackle

Okay, first off, a lot of Whitehead biting on the play action was likely predicated upon the fact that Arkansas is a power run team that had not proven any ability to throw the ball, not to mention the way they were gashing us for yardage in the first half.

However, after watching the replay (was in JHS, so didn't see it on TV live), Kris is definitely going to have to step up, or he's going to be benched. He has all the tools necessary, but he might simply lack the drive to meet his potential. I expect to see a lot more of Williams and Swain this week anyway because we're playing San Jose, but if Frost doesn't get his act together, he's going to lose his spot.

Let us hope that it was all first game jitters, and he'll be playing up to par by the time we hit Manhattan.

He looks absolutely lost and timid out there. I really hate to compare the two but watching him reminds me of Holland. I'm not just saying that because he isn't getting the job done, they really do look similar to me.

You know, I've thought of this before actually but I'm not convinced he has the speed to be a WR -- maybe its because he thinks too much as a LB and that obviously would make him play slower.

What I was referring to was if I remember right he was a highly rated WR coming out of high school.He just doesn't seem to have the natural LB instinct.

I feel like people give Frost a pass because of one play. He has to get better. A couple of plays this past game he could have made if he had the awareness to reach out and try to tackle

Well, there's one play that stands out from the one non-disastrous season he's played at Auburn, but it wasn't the only play he made last year...and I think the hype surrounding him when he came to the Plains assists in that pass being given. Rather than being an out-of-nowhere outstanding play by a nobody, it was a ray of hope that all the physical potential he had was beginning to come together. Certainly that one play will not have him remembered as an AU great, but it provides reason to believe that he can still develop into one, at least.

Well, there's one play that stands out from the one non-disastrous season he's played at Auburn, but it wasn't the only play he made last year...and I think the hype surrounding him when he came to the Plains assists in that pass being given. Rather than being an out-of-nowhere outstanding play by a nobody, it was a ray of hope that all the physical potential he had was beginning to come together. Certainly that one play will not have him remembered as an AU great, but it provides reason to believe that he can still develop into one, at least.

are we talking about the play that should have been called a horse collar tackle?

What I was referring to was if I remember right he was a highly rated WR coming out of high school.He just doesn't seem to have the natural LB instinct.

He was a highly rated athlete, not a highly rated receiver. The reason for that is he played offense in high school, but his measurables were (and are) those of a prototypical linebacker. If he'd been rated purely as a receiver, he likely would have been a 3 star, maybe a low 4 star, and somewhere on the borderline between WR and TE.

Archived