So if we moved on from Ellis J... (Edit we did)

Dual-Threat Rigby

If I remember it was about his contract and a few other things. Never knew what specifically. Whatever it was he just doesn't trust JJ at all. There are some hard feelings there.

Hey that's life...and maybe JJ thinks Boom was a prima donna making unreasonable requests....who knows? .....but seems that if JJ and WM had gotten along better then Boom might be at AU instead of UF...and Gus would be at Arky? Playing the "what if" game doesn't get anyone very far....and sometimes people don't know when they are well off.

Boom will be just fine whatever happens at UF. He'll either get another year or he'll get bought out with a handsome sum of money. He can go back to being a DC whenever he wishes. He'll have plenty of suitors wanting him for just that. He will eventually get another shot at a HC job.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember it was about his contract and a few other things. Never knew what specifically. Whatever it was he just doesn't trust JJ at all. There are some hard feelings there.

Hey that's life...and maybe JJ thinks Boom was a prima donna making unreasonable requests....who knows? .....but seems that if JJ and WM had gotten along better then Boom might be at AU instead of UF...and Gus would be at Arky? Playing the "what if" game doesn't get anyone very far....and sometimes people don't know when they are well off.

I'm not saying I know who was wrong or right, I'm just saying that people who are calling for CEJ's head and thinking we'll snag a guy like Boom aren't really thinking things through all the way.

I was originally thinking about Muschamp, but I no longer want anyone associated with Auburn that is considered a "Saban disciple". I would rather go after Michigan State's D-coordinator.

An SEC current coach that I would love to have as a DC if he is fired in a couple of years is Derek Mason.

I was originally thinking about Muschamp, but I no longer want anyone associated with Auburn that is considered a "Saban disciple". I would rather go after Michigan State's D-coordinator.

An SEC current coach that I would love to have as a DC if he is fired in a couple of years is Derek Mason.

Mason won't be an option.He won't be available. CEJ, if he comes back, gets next year to fix it or get fired.

Well, Boom was hired at UF on 12/11/10 while Chizik was prepping AU for the BCSNC game and Petrino was prepping a 10-2 Aky team for the Cotton Bowl. So many things have happened since way back then.

I would love to see Rob Ryan, the current Saints DC. We would have to pay him 2-3 million a year. The players would absolutely love playing for him. He could probably have just about any spread offense in the country brought to their knees. The pro style LSUs and bammers would also have the skids applied to them as well.

I can just see him decked out in Auburn gear stomping up and down the sideline.

Not defending EJ but maybe another way to think about this is it might come down to position coaches. In the military we were always taught to look at the problem from the lowest level first and work up from there. I know EJ is the DC and ultimately it rest on his shoulders but if the position coaches aren't coaching fundamentals correctly that might be the issue right there..... just trying to think outside the box.

Also if we were to get rid of EJ I would want either Craig Bohl or Chris Klieman. Both of these guys know defense. Here are the bios on them

Craig Bohl:

http://www.gobison.com/coaches.aspx?rc=593&path=football

Chris Klieman:

http://www.gobison.com/coaches.aspx?rc=598&path=football

If Muschamp's gators play such great defense then they should have won them all because no would have scored. When he was at Auburn, Georgia OWNED us. He had no answer and not a clue. I think we may need to change positiion coaches first.

During the radio broadcast I heard Quenton Riggins saying our D was not disguising anything to confuse Allen and not coming out of our base D at all and he hoped that would change but if Im not mistaken this was about half way thru the third quarter. I dont know how to coach football but if our sideline reporter can see that why cant the D coordinator??

I would definitely like to hear or read more from Johnson about this. why go vanilla in your own backyard against a green unknown freshman commodity making his first start at QB?

I may have got lost somewhere but is Trevon Reed hurt or something,the last I remember he was actually shutting guys down in the Kansas st game and I haven't seem him since. And I don't care if yall agree with the coaches or not but its time to bring Whitehead back.I dont care what he said I think he has learned his lesson by having to sit through the past few games and just watch the defense. He screwed up weeks back,well the defensive coaches screwed up Saturday,so its even now put him out there. He wont make the defense tons better but ill at least get to watch a guy hungry to make a play and sticking his nose in the action trying to make something happen. And I'm usually the last one to talk and find the good in everything and all is not lost but if Monday practices get here and the coaches are not upset and getting on the guys hard they need to instantly be fired BC Saturday was so far past unacceptable theres no way to completely put it into words.

I may have got lost somewhere but is Trevon Reed hurt or something,the last I remember he was actually shutting guys down in the Kansas st game and I haven't seem him since. And I don't care if yall agree with the coaches or not but its time to bring Whitehead back.I dont care what he said I think he has learned his lesson by having to sit through the past few games and just watch the defense. He screwed up weeks back,well the defensive coaches screwed up Saturday,so its even now put him out there. He wont make the defense tons better but ill at least get to watch a guy hungry to make a play and sticking his nose in the action trying to make something happen. And I'm usually the last one to talk and find the good in everything and all is not lost but if Monday practices get here and the coaches are not upset and getting on the guys hard they need to instantly be fired BC Saturday was so far past unacceptable theres no way to completely put it into words.

Really? You know he played against A&M, right?

Been under a rock?

Whitehead was playing Saturday. He even had an interception.

Manny Diaz comes to mind first.

I would like to apologize for a previous post. You said Manny Diaz and I was thinking Willie Martinez. While I'm not keen on Diaz after his Texas stint, my senior moment in thinking he was Willie Martinez was pretty bad.

Derek is pretty much Will Jr., he'll probably be good at Vandy if they can ever get recruiting going like they did under Franklin.

I would love a Saban disciple on defense, they seem to be pretty good at it.

During the radio broadcast I heard Quenton Riggins saying our D was not disguising anything to confuse Allen and not coming out of our base D at all and he hoped that would change but if Im not mistaken this was about half way thru the third quarter. I dont know how to coach football but if our sideline reporter can see that why cant the D coordinator??

I would definitely like to hear or read more from Johnson about this. why go vanilla in your own backyard against a green unknown freshman commodity making his first start at QB?

....because Ellis isn't good at what he does anymore

Not defending EJ but maybe another way to think about this is it might come down to position coaches. In the military we were always taught to look at the problem from the lowest level first and work up from there. I know EJ is the DC and ultimately it rest on his shoulders but if the position coaches aren't coaching fundamentals correctly that might be the issue right there..... just trying to think outside the box.

I brought this up on another thread.

Here are the average Rivals and Scout recruiting scores for the two-deep for each major defensive position:

DL - Rodney Garner - 3.875 Stars (That is without Carl Lawson)

LB -Ellis Johnson - 3.75 Stars

Safeties (Including Star) - Charlie Harbison - 3.75 Stars

Cornerbacks - Melvin Smith - 3.375 Stars

The talent should be there. Is it player development? Is it the various groups working together? Is it our game plans? Is it our game day calls?

SIAP, but changing coordinators is not the magic answer. This is another in a long list of why the SEC, and in particular the SEC-W, is the most difficult conference in college football. If you have a coordinator that is geared toward stopping a power, Pro-Set attack (like it appears that CEJ does pretty well), the spread teams will rip you apart. If you change to a DC that is geared toward stopping the spread, you have smaller, faster linemen and LBs, and the power, Pro-Set teams will run through you all day.

Now that the SEC is pretty evenly balanced with both styles of offense, there are always going to be games like Saturday where you just have to do your best to outscore your opponent. Could CEJ have done more disquising coverages and blitzing???? Of Course. However, our secondary doesn't have the overall talent to cover SEC WRs at the level needed when you have NO PASS RUSH!!!! Losing Carl Lawson really hurt us this year. With him wreaking havoc in the backfield like he did last year, our defense would be much better.

I was so pissed off Saturday, but now that I've had a chance to calm down, I realize that we just didn't play well, and you can't afford to do that week in and week out. We didn't make aTm EARN anything! We let them score at will with little or no effort in the first half. Yeah, the refs screwed us over time and time again, but we should be used to that by now, and not let that be the deciding factor. You will never convince me that aTm recovered that fumble on the 1 yard line, but you can't cry over spilled milk.

It's time to go beat UGA now, and then focus on Samford to work out any kinks before we go beat bammer. We could really stand for bammer to beat Miss St. this weekend, but I cannot pull for them. I saw way too many comments from bammers that I know are normally good people that were uncalled for.

We don't have corners that can cover with a pass rush. We don't have SEC talent at the corner position. Our best guy could maybe be an ok nickel defender

Archived